Marcus's 1964 Monza

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
Project65

Re: Marcus's 1964 Monza

Post by Project65 »

The surface finishing is really making a difference in how it looks. You can see it coming together now. Keep up the great progress. Hope what you’ve saved with get you far with finishing now that the body and structural is mostly behind you. :clap:
John
1965 Monza Sedan “The Phoenix”. Rebuild in Progress.
Minferrera19

Post by Minferrera19 »

Thanks! The only major body panel I have left is the rear valance. I will save this until the car is OFF the rotisserie and onto my “lift”. I have the new to me rear valance but I cannot access this due to the rotisserie attaching to the bumper bolt hole locations.
Attachments
Gets all 4 wheels off the ground (example)
Gets all 4 wheels off the ground (example)
My portable lift. 1 1/2 Ton each 55” lift capacity
My portable lift. 1 1/2 Ton each 55” lift capacity
Minferrera19

Post by Minferrera19 »

Welded up one of the last panels for the car and I also got a 20 Ton press from Facebook market place for 100$ used instead of 250 new. My welder isnt a good one at all and I think it finally is offically broken, The wire feed isnt working and the whole welder started smoking!!! It was just a chepo from Harbor Freight but still I welded the entire car with a 150$ welder so I need a new one now. Great….
Attachments
Not my best work. The welder broke before i could finish
Not my best work. The welder broke before i could finish
20 Ton press
20 Ton press
Project65

Post by Project65 »

Good score on the press! Bummer on the welder. :td: Good luck. Keep up the great progress!
John
Minferrera19

Post by Minferrera19 »

Yes indeed the press was always something I would like to add to my collection of tools. The welder served its purpose and to be honest the welder used about 15 LBS worth of .035 wire so I got my moneys worth out of it and coming into welding as a beginner I didnt want to go too big.

I got a “few” things in the mail and it felt like christmas again! After I recived most of the parts for the front suspension I started by grinding down the upper a arm ball joints as they were pressed on from the factory, Then using a pnematic air chisel with a pointed end I unleashed all the uggas and the duggas upon the rivets until they fell out. After removing the old ball joints I took a wire wheel with a cordless impact and took the old rusty surface off to reviel a nice surface finish. Top that off with a LITTLE bit of paint so it doesnt rust back up but can still be pressed in. But to my luck with the kit I ordered the bolts were 5/16 instead of 1/4 from factory so I drilled slowly but pressed down firm with tap oil (any oil is better than none) to inlarge the bolt hole, after drilling there was a little bit of metal removed but not enough to strucually damage the part as it is fairly close to the edge. After drilling I made sure to deburr both sides so there will be no metal bits left over and so the bolt can slide in easy. I was ready to put the upper a arm bumper stop on and I just manhandled it into place with a little oil and it popped right in (make sure the new stop is flush on the backside).

Moving onto the Lower a arm I had to drill out 3/4 bolts for the shock mounting plate as they snapped off. Center punch a few times and then drilled out I retaped all the holes and put a bolt to ensure it worked. I pressed in the lower a arms with a little bit of tap oil and no problems what so ever. I need to order a set of clarks lower a arm bushings as the kit I ordered from didnt have it in stock.

https://stores.a-resto-parts.com/produc ... el=Corvair
60/64 Corvair Front suspension Bushing and Balljoint Kit.
Attachments
All new parts for FT suspension
All new parts for FT suspension
Had to drill and retap both holes on this a arm and one hole on other a arm
Had to drill and retap both holes on this a arm and one hole on other a arm
New ball joint pressed in. Used metal flatbar to make part level
New ball joint pressed in. Used metal flatbar to make part level
Another view
Another view
Retaping
Retaping
Worked!
Worked!
Parts got a little banged up, but I redrilled to 5/16”
Parts got a little banged up, but I redrilled to 5/16”
New serviceable ball joints and new bumperstop
New serviceable ball joints and new bumperstop
Another bumper stock and spare bolts I had laying around
Another bumper stock and spare bolts I had laying around
Minferrera19

Post by Minferrera19 »

Im having trouble finding out which bushing goes where for the upper a arm if anyone could help that would be great, i have 2 of each bushings and the manuals and pictures still do not help.
Attachments
All ready to get pressed in
All ready to get pressed in
I have 2 of each bushing but is their a spefic place each one should go
I have 2 of each bushing but is their a spefic place each one should go
F8EE6173-A371-480A-979D-8C9613A84A49.png
Project65

Post by Project65 »

Hi Marcus. I’m assuming that you bought them from Clark’s. If you call them tomorrow, you could likely speak with one of the technicians/mechanics. I’m believing they could point you in the right direction..
John
Minferrera19

Post by Minferrera19 »

I did not buy them from clarks as they wanted twice the money for the same bushing. However I recently bought alot of parts so Ill definitely give them a call and see if they can help out, Thanks!
Minferrera19

Post by Minferrera19 »

I talked to a clarks mechanic and he explained in great detail how to press in the corvair bushings. However my little corvair is getting pushed to the back of the workshop for now. My dad suprised me with a new to me truck, whats the catch you might say? Needs inside rocker panel support, inner rocker panel, outer rocker panel, cab corners and front fender patches. Also the last hack that touched the poor truck used a RAINBOW assortment of wires to hookup everything and spliced about half the wires together and cut the rest, so I have to go through the entire wiring to fix it propperly. Hopefully it will take a week to fix as the truck will not be restoration type finish.
Minferrera19

Post by Minferrera19 »

Few weeks later and my new to me truck is pretty much done. New inner rocker panel, outer rocker panel, fender patch, cab corners, door skins, flatbed all rewired.
I just have redo the entire suspension with new ball joints and steering bushings because the last guy used it as a plow truck and ruined everything.

Now back to Corvair things, I seam sealed the entire inside of the cab and started the underneath and got about 75% done on the underbody. I have a little bit more welding to do before I can finish seam sealing it. So I added a patch panel in the passengers side front wheel well and got that welded and spot welded on.
Attachments
112B2C4E-1900-4E22-82A3-BC905A6BC67D.jpeg
84CCF3A2-F6D9-4B96-861D-DEE2A5DF1938.jpeg
2D32E269-13CE-4991-A011-F43E818F87E3.jpeg
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Nice work!
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
Project65

Post by Project65 »

Looking good! When you’re done, I’d like to know how many tubes of sealer you used. I’ll eventually need to get a few myself. Keep after it :clap:
John
Minferrera19

Post by Minferrera19 »

Project65 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:08 pm Looking good! When you’re done, I’d like to know how many tubes of sealer you used. I’ll eventually need to get a few myself. Keep after it :clap:
I used 10 seam sealer tubes, I tried buying a quart sized bottle but it was sooo much harder to spread the sealer and it took ALOT longer. 10 Bottles just to clarify did the entire floorpan inside and outside and also sealed all 4 wheel wells.

How did i apply it? I used a cocking gun and went with a thick bead all around where I welded and to fill any gaps. After I used paint thinner and a brush to smooth out the sealer and to give it more of a factory look where they would brush it on. I would rather go more thick than thin because I dont want water damage to seap through and destory all my hardwork.
Attachments
Also got the upper a arms bushings all pressed in
Also got the upper a arms bushings all pressed in
Minferrera19

Post by Minferrera19 »

Have been away from my corvair for a little bit now. ive been focusing on my truck too much😖 and getting my trailer registered so I can take my corvair to its first car show October 2nd. The car will be on the rotisserie and on the trailer so it should be a fun time.

Getting back into corvair things I started taking off the front cowel to see how bad things were inside. To my suprise it just needs to be resealed with seamsealer and a little bit of paint. I also removed the rear window and the chrome trim pieces but after 60 years the screws didnt want to budge so I drilled them out and retaped the holes. I also started bondoing and sanding more of the passanger side.
Attachments
C8E6AF3B-B160-4193-8422-977457DFA490.jpeg
Some bondo work on the passanger fender
Some bondo work on the passanger fender
AE5C7B77-1997-41AA-8547-2AC2CD2A14EF.jpeg
First layer of bondo for rocker panel
First layer of bondo for rocker panel
Rear fender still needs alot of work
Rear fender still needs alot of work
Front fender bottom grinded down getting ready for bondo
Front fender bottom grinded down getting ready for bondo
Project65

Post by Project65 »

Nice to see you’re back at getting after it. Keep up good work 👍! I was curious by looking at your photos about the color of your car. It was blue, but is that yellow underneath? My dad had a yellow’63 coupe with a silvery gray interior and it looked really nice back in the day. What was the original color of the car? What color are you planning for it?
John
Minferrera19

Post by Minferrera19 »

The underneath of the car was primered in yellow and then rhino lined/undercoated a light gray. The original color is Lagoon Aqua Poly and I plan on keeping it that way.

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”