Global warming

Humor, Politics, etc...
Dove

Re: Global warming

Post by Dove »

John Coleman founder of the Weather Channel says:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8FhmuWWcGw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Video Tube for YouTube - iPhone/iPad
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

For your convenience, here is the above referenced YouTube video...

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

I guess I should explain since you guys insist on adding to what I say. I don't necessarily agree with the "global warming" part of all this but CO2 emissions are a problem. CO2 is not "good", rather it is needed in balanced amounts. Plant life does thrive on it but can only use so much, especially with all the deforestation occurring. I don't agree with the amount of money that the government spends either, I think individual companies should fund alternative energy.

thewolfe- stop being a smartazz with this. I'm not saying stop everything completely, just reducing emissions through finding different energy sources and making things more efficient. If this is the kind of closed-mindedness you all are going to display then I'm done trying to talk to you.
'66 Monza Coupe Project: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=7188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1949chevy

Post by 1949chevy »

How to Determine the Scientific Consensus on Global Warming
An academic feud swirls around how best or even whether to express the scientific consensus around climate change

July 24, 2014|By Gayathri Vaidyanathan and ClimateWire

The point of contention is a peer-reviewed study published last year by Green, a chemistry professor at Michigan Technological University; John Cook, a research fellow at the Global Change Institute at the University of Queensland in Australia; and 10 other scientists who blog under the collective name of Skeptical Science.

The scientists examined 4,014 abstracts on climate change and found 97.2 percent of the papers assumed humans play a role in global warming (ClimateWire, May 16, 2013).
That statement quickly got boiled down in the popular media to a much simpler message: that 97 percent of scientists believe climate change is caused by humans. President Obama tweeted the 97 percent consensus. Comedian John Oliver did a segment on it that went viral on the Internet.

To them, climate change is no longer a debate over science. The latest surveys show that 89 percent of Democrats, 79 percent of independents and 70 percent of Republicans already believe global warming is happening and is at least partly caused by human actions.

Boy have we got a lot of people that the Koch brothers and Mobil Exxon would be proud of....money well spent by those billionaires to convince a few to buy into their propaganda. Looks like a mass majority think otherwise though....so keep up the billionaires brainwashing those that are in lala land when it comes to gobal warming....again for 8th grade graduates and false news watchers...global means the USA only right?
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by davemotohead »

I agree with that Blaze, the problem is the USA has curbed its emission substantially, the rest of the Industrialized world has not, I remember the 60's and 70's of coming over the pass into LA and the sky being Brown with smog, and now with our emissions mandates and cleaner vehicles I come over the pass and the sky is clear,,a good thing for humans breathing the air and the environment, the new autos only drip water out the tail pipe, But our president wants to make deals with china that affect us but not them, and the (IMO) Entire man made Global warming thing is a out and out Lie all in the name of Politicians gaining control based on Fear tactics, and also they Profit by investing in "Green energy" products then passing laws to mandate these new "Green"regulations and Banking millions for personal profit! as the weather channel guy demonstrates, Man made Global warming is a total Lie concocted by politicians to rule thru fear and profit!
1949chevy

Post by 1949chevy »

davemotohead wrote:1949,,First off I do not watch Fox news, I have a antenna on my Roof, And do not take Drugs, Amazing How left minded Folks think if you do not agree with them you are a druggie? Also,I used to think Man made Global warming was real,,UNTIL I looked at the facts, Funny how science says all the planets are warming, Not Man made, just warming, But I guess you think there is man Made warming heating our entire solar system as well? Exhaust Pipes getting hot do NOT contribute to global warming, The SUN warms the Asphalt, like it always has, NOT global warming, Heating my house NOPE! Funny how Obama Gave Green energy companies billions of energy grants to supply Us with perfect Green energy,Problem is, the CEO's of these companies donated Half the Tax payer grant money back to the democrat party,then they pocketed millions and filed Bankruptcy, Solyndra anyone?? The Fact of the Matter is: The Democrat party has been Lying to the Public in droves,Especially Obama, Almost everything this Guy says is a Lie! and Facts prove it! Also here is a news Story for you,

List Of Failed Green Energy Jobs & Companies – By Obama
Update: 7/19/12: The Amonix Solar: FAIL! – manufacturing plant in North Las Vegas, subsidized by more than $20 million in federal tax credits and grants given by Obama Administration, has closed its 214,000 square foot facility a year after it opened.
Solar Trust of America: FAIL! - Filed Bankruptcy in Oakland, CA, April 3, 2012

Bright Source: FAIL! - Bright Source warned Obama’s Energy Department officials in March 2011 that delays in approving a $1.6 billion U.S. loan guarantee would embarrass the White House and force the solar-energy company to close. Bright Source lost billions of dollars but is getting more money to keep trying. Can you say, “This isn’t working Mr. President?”

Solyndra: FAIL! - Obama gave $500,000,000 (that’s a HALF BILLION!) in taxpayer money to Solyndra who shut its doors and laid off 1100 workers in August 2011 after billions in losses due to failure to make a solar product that works! Barack Obama was not vetted before being elected President and neither was Solyndra before Mr. Obama threw that taxpayer money down the drain of unproven technology.

LSP Energy: FAIL! - LSPEnergy LP filed bankruptcy protection and a sale of its assets in Feb 2012

Energy Conversion Devices: FAIL! – On February 14, 2012 Energy Conversion Devices, Inc. and its subsidiaries filed for bankruptcy

Abound Solar: FAIL! - Abound Solar received a $400 million loan guarantee from Barack Obama then announced in June, 2012 that it would file for bankruptcy. Many of these failed corporations, such as Abound, donated MILLIONS and continue to donate to Barack Obama’s campaign. Can you say, “Democrat Slush Fund”? Yes this is illegal. But Democrats are being protected from being prosecuted, for now.

SunPower: FAIL! - SunPower stopped producing solar cells in 2011 at near bankruptcy then restructured with the help of, get this, oil giant TOTAL, Inc. who owns 60% stake in SunPower. Irony? The company is still struggling.

Beacon Power: FAIL! – Beacon Power Corp filed for bankruptcy protection in October, 2011 just a year after Obama approved a $43 million Government loan guarantee. They remain barely in business, still struggling to make energy that makes sense or that works at all.

Ecotality: FAIL! - ECOtality, a San Francisco green-tech company that never earned any money and remains on the verge of bankruptcy after receiving roughly $115 million in two loan guarantees from President Obama, who wants to do some more of this kind of Democrat Slush Fund Guarantees after he is elected to a 2nd term.

A123 Solar: FAIL! - A123 Solar received $279 million from taxpayers thanks to President Obama’s Department of Energy loan guarantees even after the Solyndra bankruptcy and is getting another $500M from Obama after a loss of $400M.

UniSolar: FAIL! - Uni-Solar filed for Ch 11 bankruptcy in June 20, 2012 after laying off hundreds of workers. UniSolar received even more Obama money after showing now progress, no profits and is still failing… yet they still remain in business with Obama’s help.

Azure Dynamics: FAIL! - Azure Dynamics filed for bankruptcy in June , 2012 wasting millions in Obama “Stimulus” money and received abatement on taxes owed and and several tax credits. Azure Dynamics LLC filed for bankruptcy protection in Canada and the US. Azure laid off 120 of its 160 employees in Oak Park; Boston; Vancouver, British Columbia; and the UK.

Evergreen Solar: FAIL! - Evergreen Solar received $527 Million in Taxpayer money from Obama and filed bankruptcy in late 2011. Evergreen, which closed its taxpayer-supported Devens factory in March, 2011 cut more than 1800 jobs. Evergreen’s $450 million factory, turned out to be a colossal “waste” of taxpayer money.

Ener1: FAIL! Ener1 Inc. received a $118 million U.S. Energy Department grant from President Obama to make electric-car batteries but filed for bankruptcy protection January 2012 after defaulting on bond debt.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Washington Post

The Arctic Ocean is warming up, icebergs are growing scarcer and in some places the seals are finding the water too hot, according to a report to the Commerce Department yesterday from Consulafft, at Bergen , Norway

Reports from fishermen, seal hunters, and explorers all point to a radical change in climate conditions and hitherto unheard-of temperatures in the Arctic zone. Exploration expeditions report that scarcely any ice has been met as far north as 81 degrees 29 minutes.

Soundings to a depth of 3,100 meters showed the gulf stream still very warm. Great masses of ice have been replaced by moraines of earth and stones, the report continued, while at many points well known glaciers have entirely disappeared.

Very few seals and no white fish are found in the eastern Arctic, while vast shoals of herring and smelts which have never before ventured so far north, are being encountered in the old seal fishing grounds. Within a few years it is predicted that due to the ice melt the sea will rise and make most coastal cities uninhabitable.

I apologize, I neglected to mention that this report was from November 2, 1922, as reported by the AP and published in The Washington Post - 90+ years ago.

The oxy cotton is not aimed at anyone on this forum.....I guess the loss of hearing by rush limbdick from doing so much oxy cotton has been hid from your education...he is the one I was referring to.

Some business fail and some have to start over and over before they are sucessful.....do you know a guy called "Henry Ford"?...how many fails did he have? And was his last attempt sucessful?

Know any car manufactors that produce electric cars? Know any firms that will introduce hydrogen powered cars next sept? What will these cars do for the enviroment?

Even President Obama,one of the smartest pres in my lifetime (that makes a lot of folks very jealous), got China to agree to a turnaround in pollution/global warming and that goes into effect in 2020. Of course, the corporate media will not be saying anything about that.

Here is a list of sucessful and future winning enities:

According to Energy Acuity’s project intelligence information and by utilizing our Market Share & Rankings tool, the top 10 Solar Developers in the US market are:
Company:
#1 First Solar Inc. Number of completed
projects in 2014:
2 Capacity in MWs:
#2 Sunetric 2 325
#3 Silver Ridge Power (AES Solar) 1 206
#4 8minutenergy 1 206
#5 US Solar Holdings 1 206
#6 AES Corporation 1 206
#7 SunPower 3 185
#8 MidAmerican Renewables LLC 1 177
#9 Strata Solar (FKA Solar Tech South) 17 90
#10 SunEdison 5 63

If it is EPC Firms you're targeting at the conference, the Top 10 Solar EPC Firms for 2014 are:
Company:
#1 First Solar Inc. Number of completed
projects in 2014:
3 Capacity in MWs:
#2 Sunetric 2 325
#3 Pauley Construction Company 1 290
#4 Luminate 1 290
#5 Casey Industrial 1 290
#6 Mortenson Construction 3 223
#7 Abengoa Solar, S.A. 1 206
#8 Strata Solar (FKA Solar Tech South) 14 82
#9 Blymyer Engineers, Inc. 3 73
#10 SunEdison LLC 4 66
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by davemotohead »

1949 wrote: "Even President Obama,one of the smartest pres in my lifetime (that makes a lot of folks very jealous), got China to agree to a turnaround in pollution/global warming and that goes into effect in 2020. Of course, the corporate media will not be saying anything about that."

1948,,you need to get your facts straight,,the deal is 2030 not 2020,and its the most one sided deal ever proclaimed "Good" by any idiot president, in fact everyone thinks its the Stupidest thing a president has ever done! the fact you think Obama is the smartest president in your lifetime shows you need to Educate yourself, Come on Dude!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Specifically, though, the United States pledges to impede its own economic growth right now, in significant ways, while China will be free to continue building coal-powered plants, expand its economy and cement its place as the world's leading polluter -- perhaps even doubling its output against ours.

Until 2030, that is, or some year around that time, when China's carbon emissions are expected to peak. Specifics aren't important. At that point, the Chinese promise that they will implement some vague action plan at some vague point in the future. All we need to do is trust them. The agreement contains no binding language requiring any goals to be met. http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articl ... 24658.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
While in Beijing, President Barack Obama announced the U.S. would move faster in cutting its levels of pollution. China, which accounts for about 30 percent of global emissions, has agreed to cap its emissions in the future. That's where Tom Borelli, senior fellow for FreedomWorks, sees a problem.

"Fossil fuels drive our economy, and anything [done] to reduce emissions of carbon dioxide is going to lead to higher energy prices and higher unemployment," he points out to OneNewsNow. "China just has to cap its emissions in 2030 and we're going to be cutting our emissions before then. So it's clearly a bad deal." http://www.onenewsnow.com/politics-govt ... G631NLF9I4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Why don't you do some research, no one thinks this is a good deal!

OK, lets take your first listing of a successful solar company funded by the Obama administration,,First Solar,, a company By the Way, I used to work for! Not only did they Lie to me, and our entire Town, and everyone who worked for them, they have had multiple Class action law suits filed against them and they have been run out of my town for mis-leading the public here and the county, they even Scheduled Multiple "Town Meetings" to deal with the Upset Public here, they set up giant tents and sent invitations to all the Town counsels in this area, the Tents filled up with angry residents,,An NO ONE FROM FIRST SOLAR SHOWED UP! they proclaimed" We will employ 1000's of local workers for your town" what they did was, bring their own Family and friends from out of state to get the $45 per hour Gov funded Prevailing wage , and then hire Locals to pic up trash for $15 and hour, 300 at a time to meet the requirements to get the grants, then lay all locals off after 45 days,while the family members worked the entire project, and get this! they told everyone on Monday that Friday was our last day,,then they Drug tested everyone on Thursday to "catch drug violators" so they could weasel out of paying them Unemployment, they were the worst company I ever worked for and treated locals like crap, all in the name of Energy grants,,Oh and by the Way, they have Multiple class action law suits against them for Defrauding share holders,False energy claims and various other LIES told to the public and share holders,,Another Obama success story my Ass,,get your facts straight before you post your Uniformedness :tongue: here is a pic of my work vest in case you don't believe me. and a few of first solar's law suits. I especially like the donations to the democratic party they made,,with your tax dollars! The Corruption from your Smartest President ever" just Keeps piling in!

Securities law firms are lining up to get a piece of the action after a class action lawsuit was filed against federally subsidized First Solar, Inc., allegedly because the company failed to disclose the massive costs it was incurring due to defects in its solar panels, leading investors to believe the company’s stock was worth more than its actual value.

The complaint, filed by the New York-based Pomerantz, Haudek, Grossman, & Gross law firm, claims that First Solar executives – including founder Michael Ahearn and former CEO Robert Gillette – “made false and/or misleading statements, as well as failed to disclose material adverse facts about the Company's business, operations, and prospects.” The false information was allegedly delivered via annual and quarterly reports, SEC filings, press releases and other documents. First Solar is a public company traded on the NASDAQ exchange.

According to the complaint, First Solar: “deceive(d) the investing public…, artificially inflated(d) and maintain(ed) the market price of First Solar securities…, and cause(d) Plaintiff and other members of the Class to purchase First Solar securities and options at artificially inflated prices.”

First Solar has received enormous financial backing from taxpayers. The Department of Energy provided a $646 million loan guarantee for the Antelope Valley (Calif.) Solar Ranch 1 project, and also partially guaranteed $1.46 billion in borrowing for its Desert Sunlight Solar Farm west of Blythe, Calif. DOE loans of $967 million covered First Solar’s Agua Caliente Solar project in Yuma County, Ariz. Its Topaz Solar farm, which Warren Buffett just bought for about $1.9 billion, also qualifies for a federal grant (like the others) that pays a 30 percent rebate on construction costs. Also, the U.S. Export-Import Bank backed $455.7 million in loans to First Solar for projects in Canada. The facilities also reap job training, state and local incentives, in addition to enjoying mandates that force utilities to buy their renewable power.

The company is yet another on a long list of participants in the Green energy crony capitalism carnival. Federal candidates reaped benefits of the Ahearns’ – and several other First Solar employees’ – largesse, according to the Center for Responsive Politics. Michael Ahearn donated $40,400 to the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee since 2008. Company executives and staffers also gave $37,158 to President Obama and various other Democrat candidates for Congress during that time.

At the state level, Ahearn and his wife Gayle – also listed as a co-owner – donated $65,000 to the Democratic Party of Arizona since the 2008 electoral cycle. First Solar extracted at least $51.5 million in incentives from state and local government in Arizona to build a manufacturing facility in Mesa. And the company also spent heavily in that gravy train of states for renewable incentives, California. Bloomberg reported the company gave more than $150,000 to Golden State political campaigns last year, and has received $3.43 million in state sales tax credits.

Much of the company’s money troubles apparently stem from the thin-film solar panels it is deploying at these government-backed desert sites. According to an Arizona Republic report from earlier this month, the panels produce less electricity in extreme heat – well understood within the industry – but First Solar’s performance still failed to meet expectations. The company reported it replaced $125.8 million-worth of panels in the 4th quarter last year, and has set aside $37.5 million to cover future claims. It experienced a drop of $345 million in net sales from the previous quarter as well.

“The warranty issues are a big deal, to us at least,” Credit Suisse analyst Satya Kumar wrote in an investor note on February 29, the Republic reported. “This is the first time First Solar is talking about this issue…. The fact that First Solar is reporting performance issues in the field in the first few years and is accruing higher charges on an ongoing basis is worrying, as the hotter regions tend to make more sense for solar. We are concerned this may not be the last time we hear of the warranty-related issues for First Solar.”

The Tempe, Ariz.-based manufacturer also disclosed in its annual report on February 29 that the Securities and Exchange Commission is investigating it for violations of Regulation Fair Disclosure. According to The Street financial Web site, the possible violations arose “relating to the failure of the Topaz Solar Farm project to meet the deadline to receive a federal loan guarantee from the U.S. Department of Energy.”

The financial ailments are showing manifestations with employment. First Solar announced in December that 100 positions would be eliminated, including 60 at a research and development center in Santa Clara, Calif. Among those departing was the company’s chief technologist, Markus Beck, who served in the same role for Solyndra before joining First Solar in 2008. Clearly that does not bode well. NLPC also reported in January that half the employees at the Antelope Valley project had been laid off.

Investors in First Solar who purchased stock (FSLR) between April 2008 and last month may be eligible to join the class action lawsuit, the Pomerantz lawsuit says. In February 2011 the stock price peaked at just above $175. Upon reporting its 2011 results, shares fell $4.10 or 11 percent, to $32.30. This morning it is below $29. 24/7 Wall Street called First Solar as one of “the 13 worst big stock stories of 2011.”

Just more great results from the savvy bettors on clean technology who populate the Obama administration, including the head handicapper, Energy Secretary Steven Chu.

http://nlpc.org/stories/2012/03/19/clas ... irst-solar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
short Rampy 283.jpg
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

To bad this wasn't done by one of the big three!!!!!!! Problem is I cannot afford one. :sad5:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/18/scien ... .html?_r=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

Yes, unfortunately greedy businesses are halting much of the progress of solar and other energy sources. It's the smaller businesses, like the ones I deal with, who are doing the most work. I have made friends with people in defense and power businesses so I do know what I'm talking about.

Dave- Even though the US has done a lot so far, it doesn't give us the excuse to give up. If the government would do its part in all of this we could get somewhere...
'66 Monza Coupe Project: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=7188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1949chevy

Post by 1949chevy »

1949 wrote: "Even President Obama,one of the smartest pres in my lifetime (that makes a lot of folks very jealous), got China to agree to a turnaround in pollution/global warming and that goes into effect in 2020. Of course, the corporate media will not be saying anything about that."

Motorhead....you might want to understand what you read before replying....read the above statement once more...I think it says " agree to a turnaround in pollution/global warming that goes into effect in 2020"....I did not say all would be cured by 2020....that is the problem with republicans....rational thinking is not there. Republicans seem to read things into what is said without thinking what is actually said....that is the reason they are republicans.

When I ask republicans which is worse....Mobil Exxon paying NO income tax but getting a check from IRS for $586,000,000 (thats millions) for the year because of current tax codes that dems tried to curtail or do away with but your party fillabustered it or some child being able to eat a meal and not go to bed hungry because of food stamps......republicans like the fact that these big corporations pay nothing in income and we pay dearly at the pump...is that smart? or really really brainwashed? If you pay fed tax....then YOU paid this to Mobil Exxon...YOU!...still don't get it do you.

How many constitutional college courses have you taught? You know, like our president has....my question to you....ever had a college course ever?

Here is what is happening by 2020....

More importantly perhaps, the Chinese central government has begun to talk about a cap on coal-burning itself. Statistics show that this year coal use in China slowed for the first time this century, dropping by around 1 percent, according to Greenpeace International. The hopeful sign suggests that peak coal use could come within the next decade or so, although this dip could also be a result of slowing economic growth rather than proactive efforts to slow climate change. But peak coal use is exactly what the Chinese have agreed to ensure now, along with cuts in CO2 intensity by 2020. Already China's National Development and Reform Commission has laid out a plan to cope with climate change through the end of the decade.

Now...go back and read my statement...do you see how stupid your remarks were now? If not....I understand.
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by davemotohead »

The fact you think Obama is "One of the smartest Presidents in your lifetime" And think that makes people Jealous?? HUH?? Why would anyone be jealous of an IDIOT? Show's you have no Rational thinking, its just not there! Obama lies thru his teeth about everything and facts prove it, the so called deal with china is not a deal at all! But the Problem with democrats is they blindly believe every lie they are told by their Anointed one:
WASHINGTON — The announcement of new carbon emission targets Wednesday in Beijing isn't really an agreement — much less a formal treaty or even a protocol. It's not legally binding, and the details are vague.

Instead, the United States and China simply agreed to agree.

"I wouldn't even call it a deal. It's a joint announcement," said Elliot Diringer, the executive vice president of the Center for Climate and Energy Solutions. "It's ambitious, but it will require more."

China alone is firing up a new coal plant every eight to 10 days. We could close every coal mine in Kentucky and West Virginia and achieve absolutely nothing except devastating Appalachia and, in effect, shipping its economic lifeblood to China.

The only way forward on greenhouse gases is global reduction by global agreement. A pact with China would be a good start.

Unfortunately, the Obama-Xi agreement is nothing of the sort. It is a fraud of Gruberian (as in Jonathan) proportions. Its main plank commits China to begin cutting carbon emissions 16 years from now. On the other hand, the United States, having already cut more carbon emissions than any nation on earth since 2005, must now double its current rate of carbon cutting to meet a new, more restrictive goal by 2025. In return for which, China will keep increasing its carbon emissions year after year throughout that period — and for five years beyond.

If this sounds like the most one-sided deal since Manhattan sold for $24 in 1626, you heard right. It becomes even more absurd when you realize that, according to the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, China was on track to plateau its carbon emissions around 2030 anyway because of a projected slowdown in urbanization, population growth and heavy industry production. We cut, they coast.

The carbon-emission graph is stark. China’s line is nearly vertical; America’s is already inflected and headed downward. The Obama-Xi agreement simply ratifies U.S. unilateralism — the U.S. line declines even more steeply, while China’s continues rocketing upward unmolested.
Sound like a good deal to you? Sounds like to me We are getting the Shaft once again from your Hero,,just like Obama care and the New immigration plan! Any way you stack it, this guy is BAD for America! Maybe that's why dems lost so bad in November, the American People are tired of the Lies and B.S. From this guy and want Him Gone!
Last edited by davemotohead on Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JBroomer

Post by JBroomer »

I like to compare the Earth to us humans. When we get ill, our bodies develop a fever to kill off the infection. I like to think that the Earth is getting a fever, to kill off an infection. The infection just happens to be us. I imagine that the planet was a pretty cool place before the advent of "civilization", although perhaps a bit boring without neat cars.
John
Toronto, Canada
w/o car but looking at LM convertibles
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

A lot of banter here, but I'll attempt to cut through it all.

There's a few interesting statistics about economic output that can be tied directly to carbon emissions, and thus the impact on so-called global warming. Fact is the amount of carbon produced by a nation directly correlates to the growth of its economy, hence the larger and more productive an economy the more carbon it produces. We can do certain things to limit the emissions like place scrubbers on electrical plant stacks, or find cleaner places to get the energy from in the first place. But the point is this: the economy demands energy, so it should make sense that the current arguement in global politics today is where do we get that energy? I personally don't agree with trying to foist solar panels on us just yet, because they don't produce enough power and they take up too much space. but that is what the administration has tried to do.

It's a competition between the 2 mojor political parties: One believes that by offering incentives, they can 'kickstart' the green revolution. That has obviously failed, and the reason is immature technology. The other side believes that fossil fuels will always be around, so it's stupid to try the whole green energy thing in the first place. So where's the real truth?

I believe it lies somewhere in the middle, like it always does. It's reasonable to assume that there is a finite supply of oil in the ground, so it's also reasonable to assume that at some point we will run out of it. That being the case, why can't we make progress on solar and other technologies to slowly supplant fossil fuels so that by the time we do run out we won't go through WWIII trying to heat our homes? Is that not reasonable? Is that not agreeable? Apparently not, since the uber lefties are only interested in a quazi-communist style green 'revolution' orchestrated by the government, and the right wants to keep on drilling and apparently 'find the answer when we run out'.

Since neither side appears to be able to come to a consensus, it's again up to we the people to push for what we would like to see- with our votes. So my advice would be to STOP voting for these extreme partisans, and at least be willing to hear what the other side has to say. On occasion, the Left does have a good idea- so does the Right. Stop dividing each other on party lines, only then can we forge realistic policy and move forward. That is all.
Click it!
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

You hit the nail on the head. :goodpost:
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:ty: :goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost:

Absolutely! The solution is compromise... one that will make full use of fossil fuel resources we fortunately have in ample supply in North America. Nuclear energy is also likely a solid resource — one that would likely be much further along in development of safe and secure methods had our politicians not run from it with such abandon after the Three Mile Island negative publicity. Without nuclear plant production there is little incentive for research and development in nuclear power, so advances in nuclear power in America have stagnated since the March 1979 incident in Pennsylvania. Instead of learning from mistakes in Three Mile Island, we stopped development almost completely 35 years ago. Public confidence in nuclear energy, particularly in the USA, declined sharply following the Three Mile Island accident. It was a major cause of the decline in nuclear construction through the 1980s and 1990s. Imagine the technological improvements and developments that might have been if America was motivated to do so. I noticed that the French have been making advances in undersea nuclear power generation http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/thinkin ... -reactors/. If such power generation had been implemented in Japan, the Fukushima accident might never have occurred. Imagine if their aging, vulnerable, American-developed above-ground plants along the coastline had been replaced with undersea plants that were much-better protected. As for the Russian accident/mistakes at Chernobyl — the Russians have often cut corners with nuclear power with disastrous results.

Wind and solar power has some limited small application based on current technology, but the large volume of power needed in our industrialized world cannot be met by a trickle from solar and wind power. A realistic national energy policy that encourages efficient use of power and realistic use of our natural resources that minimizes pollution as much as possible within technological boundaries would help a lot. A solid North American energy policy that encourages efficient, cooperative use of natural resources in coal, natural gas, and oil, plus nuclear power development could make us an energy independent North America while strengthening the economies of the United States, Canada, and Mexico. Removing the needs of North America from world energy resources would likely strengthen Europe, Asia, and others who need access to existing global resources because they lack those natural resources within their own nations.

We need a solid national energy policy that will reduce our dependence on oil from South America and the Middle East. Those billions of dollars kept at home will strengthen our own North American economies and will secure our nation as well. At the same time, progress can still be made in the development of non-fossil fuel energy sources and more-efficient use of the energy we have.

Unfortunately, development of a realistic national energy policy may be at least two years away, and may have to wait until Obama leaves the stage.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

Glad you brought that up, actually. I've been looking into this whole LFTR thing, and apparently two were actually built at ORNL back in the 60's. But because of how the NRC was set up and what the Government was looking for at that time (to produce electricity as a byproduct of weapons grade metals production instead of primarily focusing on electricity), it went by the wayside taking Weinberg's job as it went.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_flu ... um_reactor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Granted there is a lot to be learned about this technology before it could be used on a massive scale, but it's a tantalizing thing to think about. Cheap power, next to no proliferation risks or meltdown hazards. There's already a grassroots campaign to put out awareness, but I'm afraid it doesn't go far enough. Kirk Sorensen who runs the program does many public talks and made many internet videos on the subject, but it has gotten little to no mainstream attention. If you think it's something that could help, you should check out his website:

http://flibe-energy.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Click it!

Return to “Off Topic”