Nash Fan is here!

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
Bullrich

Re: Nash Fan is here!

Post by Bullrich »

Nashfan wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:00 am Yes, the fans are "on the market", although the only way to get one is to participate in the next group purchase. I participated in the last one, so I could test the production version of the fan, which has an enormous increase in output over my well tested prototype. I cant wait to try it out! What I found most interesting when taking my top shroud off, was that the Harrison oil cooler appeared to be nearly as clean as it was 22000 miles ago, (when I first installed my prototype Nashfan), but the 4 or 5 other times the shroud had been off with the mag fan, the oil cooler was nearly plugged solid with dust. Supposedly, with that oil cooler, its supposed to be cleaned every oil change, and I never did that. The other thing that was really facinating was how many minor leaks I found and plugged. I measured and added up all these leaks, and they basically amounted to a hole in the shroud thats .8"-.9" in diameter!!! Since the biggest single leak spot in the shroud was at the oil cooler and since the 63 Turbo fan testing was supposedly done with the later "plate style" oil cooler, my pressure tests with the prototype fan would have been reading artificially low compared to the GM tests.
DSCN2063.JPG[/img]
Whoa! What’s the story on that EFI?
Bullrich

Post by Bullrich »

Nashfan wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:00 am Yes, the fans are "on the market", although the only way to get one is to participate in the next group purchase. I participated in the last one, so I could test the production version of the fan, which has an enormous increase in output over my well tested prototype. I cant wait to try it out! What I found most interesting when taking my top shroud off, was that the Harrison oil cooler appeared to be nearly as clean as it was 22000 miles ago, (when I first installed my prototype Nashfan), but the 4 or 5 other times the shroud had been off with the mag fan, the oil cooler was nearly plugged solid with dust. Supposedly, with that oil cooler, its supposed to be cleaned every oil change, and I never did that. The other thing that was really facinating was how many minor leaks I found and plugged. I measured and added up all these leaks, and they basically amounted to a hole in the shroud thats .8"-.9" in diameter!!! Since the biggest single leak spot in the shroud was at the oil cooler and since the 63 Turbo fan testing was supposedly done with the later "plate style" oil cooler, my pressure tests with the prototype fan would have been reading artificially low compared to the GM tests.
DSCN2063.JPG[/img]
Whoa! What’s the story on that EFI?
Nashfan

Post by Nashfan »

Heres "The Story" on the EFI: My car started out as a stock daily driver I bought from the original owners in the 1990's. I had every intention of leaving it exactly that way but, my other hotrod Corvair project was taking to long, getting way too expensive, and I was having fun driving the Spyder. Gradually I started modifying it- the first big modification was a Safegard and a 45dcoe weber. Then changed out the b compressor for an F. Peak boost with that was 10 psi in first, 15 in second, 18 in third. I think around this time I was beginning to get frustrated with the weber... It was one set-up for best power but the throttle response and gas mileage was awful, another set-up had better throttle response but not as much peak power and the gas mileage still sucked. The third set-up didnt have as good of throttle response, and not as good of power but the gas mileage was a "little better"... call this the "compromise setting, that didnt really do anything that well, but drove it that way for a couple of years. I gave up on my hotrod Corvair project, and started selling off parts and trading for others, and ended up getting a SDS EM4F fuel injection computer+ programable timing... traded away a nice set of 140 heads for that!
Gradually, over a period of a few years, started moving the car over to EFI, and was able to keep it a daily driver for most of the transition period. I hooked up the distributorless programable timing first, and ran it using my stock yh for a few years. I converted the 45DCOE to a throttle body, and finally made the jump to fuel injection in 2015. Big highlights of what this thing is like now: 12-15psi of boost in first, over 20 in second. 26 miles per/gallon!! It is a crazy improvement over stock!!
Future plans are to use a custom oversize intake manifold, custom forged pistons, water/meth injection, and get the tuning dialed in and safe for 30psi. Even if its only once or twice!!
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Great story. I agree with going to EFI and computer controlled ignition.

When I first started getting into Corvairs I liked the idea of the Turbo and while basic, the Corvair turbo was relatively reliable. After reading a few turbocharging books I realized turbochargers and carburetors are not the best combination. The crude Corvair turbo ignition timing could be improved upon with a computerized system and would make EFI a lot easier to implement. All this is not inexpensive and instead I went with the 140HP engine which has been more than adequate for me.

One thing I would have done is install a computer controlled wastegate. What say you?
Nashfan

Post by Nashfan »

I have kind of wanted to put a wastegate on my car for a long time, but I've gotten so used to not having one I've kinda come to the conclusion that as long as the engine stays safe, it doesnt really matter how much boost it makes. The only reason I dont go higher with it now is I know the pistons in it wont take it for very long, my current map sensor doesnt allow changes to timing and fueling past 15psi, so to keep it safe at 20-22psi I have to take out too much timing at lower boost levels, and with pump gas premium+ no intercooling its not going to make that much power up there anyways. I've also found that its kinda pussy territory these days to only limit the boost to 15-20psi. If the engine is safe to handle 28psi, theres very little reason to have a wastegate. I find it easy to limit the boost by letting off anyways. Works pretty well when Im only in it for a few seconds. On a street car its usually a good way to go to jail if your pounding it that hard for longer anyways!!
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Yes if you understand "not to keep your foot in it too long" then that works. Unfortunately many folks don't. A fellow in our club put a big carburetor on his turbo Corvair and bragged how he could out run any 140HP Corvair. Then a few months later he blew up his engine!!!

The 140HP enignes have "driver issues". GM four carburetor testing went well on the closed track for endurance. But in daily driving issues came up. Folks would jamb the throttle to the floor briefly (the secondary accelerator pumps dumped fuel into the throat and the solid throttle plates snapped shut and trapped fuel that turned to a gummy mess that caused throttle plates to stick OPEN. So out came the acceleartor pumps and folks complained of stalling when jamming open the throttle on a cold engine (yes you should not do that). So then the 66 cars had the infamous choke on/secondaries locked out linkage that is troublesome. I run the direct 65 linkage and don't go full throttle until the engine warms up. I have the accelerator pumps in the secondaries and only use the secondaries when I can keep them open long enough to prevent fuel being trapped in them.

Today engines are mostly idiot proof as the computers manage the engines.

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”