Battery Problems

All Models and Years
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Battery Problems

Post by bbodie52 »

I have used these regularly on cars and motorcycles — especially those that sit for long periods of inactivity and might be prone to developing a weak battery over those intervals.

Since the family started this company in 1965, Deltran Battery Tender® has taken great pride in designing, manufacturing, and distributing technologically advanced products that meet the ever changing needs of our worldwide customers! Our strategic initiatives have continued to focus on innovation and customer satisfaction.

Here at Deltran, performance isn’t just a business, it’s a way of life. Long after the final sale, our commitment to service lives on. We are constantly striving to improve every element of our business; from the products themselves to marketing and distribution. As the world advances, we remain state-of-the art with innovative designs and technologies.

So why use a Battery Tender® Charger over a conventional charger? Battery Tender®’s BTP Microprocessor Technology and quick-connect convenience automatically maintains the batteries in all your vehicles. They are ready to go when you are! You just set it and forget it, saving you hundreds of dollars in replacement batteries!

Battery Tender® assures the highest quality, fast-charging convenience and performance. That’s why we are the top choice of collectors, dealers, and fleet owners!

... Many more models to choose from.

:link: http://www.batterytender.com/
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Maybe "Battery Tenders" are better now. I tested the ones available a decade ago and they did not regulate well and overcharged the battery - not acceptable.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

In the world of consumer feedback on Amazon.com — Battery Tender vs. BatteryMinder — it appears that the Battery Tender brand is better-known with a larger consumer base than BatteryMinder, but both products appear to have a very good to excellent reputation. Amazon.com shows Battery Tender with an average consumer feedback score of 4.6 out of 5 stars from a base of 4,440 customer reviews and 710 answered questions. BatteryMinder achieved the same score of 4.6 out of 5 stars from a much smaller base of 68 customer reviews and 41 answered questions.

Image :link: http://www.batterytender.com/

Image :link: https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-0 ... ery+tender
Image :link: http://www.batteryminders.com/

Image :link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D3 ... P15K6EP3YG

For what it is worth, below is a third brand worthy of consideration. It appears to be an excellent product for consideration, with a wide range of alternative versions and product features. I would suggest considering all three product lines and all price ranges and features, and the associated consumer feedback information offered on the Amazon.com website.

NOCO Genius GEN2 20 Amp 2-Bank Waterproof Smart On-Board Battery Charger
Image :link: https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GEN2-Waterp ... =NOCO&th=1

Image :link: https://no.co/brands/noco-genius

Reviews and guides...

:link: https://www.carbatterychargerscentral.com/
Brad Bodie
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

The Battery Minder will desulphate a battery. I've brought back a few batteries that were bad with the desulphating cycle on another electronic charger I have.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
msfissel

Post by msfissel »

It was the glove box light, but this has been a very valuable experience and great info for debugging the electrical system! Thanks to everyone!! :woo:
Mike Fissel
Little Elm, TX
63 Monza 900 102HP, PowerGlide
Red/Black Convertible
63 Corvair Monza 900 w/67 110HP, PowerGlide, A/C
Azure Aqua/Azure Aqua Convertible
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Nice glad you found it!
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Mike Fissel wrote:msfissel » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:29 am

It was the glove box light, but this has been a very valuable experience and great info for debugging the electrical system!
:goodpost: :clap: :tu: :clap: :tu:

Electrical troubleshooting and fault isolation seems to many people to be a great mystery. On newer cars — with their more-complex high tech electronic circuitry — it is more difficult to master. But on the Corvair the relatively simple, basic circuitry is much-easier to learn. If you understand how a circuit functions and how it was designed to operate, you basically understand what "normal" should look like. Learning how to use a multimeter is A KEY ELEMENT TO EFFECTIVE TROUBLESHOOTING OF AN ELECTRICAL CIRCUIT. Without it you are blinded to what is going on, and correcting an electrical fault would be much-more difficult. Experience and the right test equipment goes a long way. I hope this experience has helped you to build confidence in this aspect of maintaining your Corvair.

Here is another "tool" that can raise your level of knowledge, understanding and experience...
ImageAutomotive Wiring and Electrical Systems
Tony Candela, January 1, 2009
CarTech Inc

Often, wiring and electrical work intimidate automotive do-it-yourselfers more than anything else. It's not mechanical, and therefore, it's unfamiliar territory. Electrons are invisible, and to an untrained enthusiast they can do unpredictable things. Finally, here is an enthusiast's guide that takes the mysteries and misunderstandings out of automotive electrical design, modification, diagnostics, and repair.

Automotive Wiring and Electrical Systems is the perfect book to unshroud the mysteries of automotive electrics and electronic systems. The basics of electrical principles, including voltage, amperage, resistance, and Ohm's law, are revealed in clear and concise detail so the enthusiast understands what these mean in the construction and repair of automotive electrical circuits. All the tools and the proper equipment required for automotive electrical tasks are covered. In addition, this in-depth guide explains how to perform more complex tasks, such as adding new circuits, installing aftermarket electronics, repairing existing circuits, and troubleshooting. It also explains how to complete popular wiring projects, such as adding late-model electronic accessories and convenience items to earlier-model cars, installing relay systems, designing and assembling multi-function circuits and harnesses, and much more.

With this book in hand, you will be able to assemble, design, and build single- and multi-function circuits and harnesses, troubleshoot and repair existing circuits, and install aftermarket systems and electronics. Automotive Wiring and Electrical Systems is the perfect book for wiring a hot rod from scratch, modifying muscle car electrical circuits for cooling fans and/or power windows, or adding a big stereo and other conveniences to modern performance cars.
:link: https://www.amazon.com/Automotive-Wirin ... ny+Candela

:link: https://www.amazon.com/Automotive-Wirin ... ny+Candela
In this revised edition, brilliant color photos and explanatory step-by-step captions detail the installation of the most popular, functional, and beneficial upgrades for enthusiasts of varying skill levels. This volume is essential for anyone looking to upgrade his or her classic vehicle to modern standards.
Here is another, older book that is a valuable part of the Petersen Publications (Hot Rod Magazine) series that taught me much in the 1960s and 1970s. It is still usually available as a used book for a couple of dollars. Its age places it right in a timeline that matches many classic cars like the Corvair, so the content is not really "obsolete".

Petersen's Basic Ignition and Electrical Systems, No. 5 5th Edition
by David N. Wenner (Author)

:link: https://www.amazon.com/Petersens-Basic- ... c+ignition

=======================================================================================
bbodie52 wrote::chevy: As you can see in the wiring schematic below, the glove box light center conductor is tied to a wiring junction point in the wiring harness. The continuous power 12 VDC is provided to that junction point from the fuse block. It also powers the main light switch, dome light, brake pedal stop lamp switch, etc. The ground return is provided by the lamp socket to the chassis ground provided by the socket mount.

I attempted to arrange the picture of the switch and socket assembly to illustrate the internal electrical connectivity. The spring is always in contact with the center terminal of the bulb once it is installed in the socket. The outer metal bulb casing is in contact with the positive wire terminal. The black plastic plunger prevents the spring from contacting the metal (ground) attaching hardware until the glove compartment door is opened. When opened, the spring contacts the metal mount (chassis ground) and completes the circuit, illuminating the bulb.

Brad Bodie
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

msfissel wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:29 am It was the glove box light, but this has been a very valuable experience and great info for debugging the electrical system! Thanks to everyone!! :woo:
Ahhh the glove box light. Congratulations on staying with it and finding the problem.
toytron

Post by toytron »

joelsplace wrote:The Battery Minder will desulphate a battery. I've brought back a few batteries that were bad with the desulphating cycle on another electronic charger I have.
That alone makes it worth the price.Thanks for sharing that.

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Glad to help. I have a Black & Decker and another that I forget the brand that have desulphate functions. They are made by the same company. They use high frequency A/C to break up the sulphation. The Battery Minder automatically switches to desulphate/float mode after the battery is fully charged. I leave most of my Corvair batteries on them all the time they are parked so I know they won't fry a battery. I've been using them almost 20 years but consistently just for the last 5. I bought 4 new ones at a swap meet originally for $4 each and didn't realize they were anything but low amp chargers until 5 years ago. 2 of those died and I swapped parts so I still have 3 of the 4 working. One transformer and one circuit board died. Northern tool seems to have the best prices on them. I've picked up 6 more at $20-25 each. The ones at NT are a newer model than the ones that died. To be fair they both lived outside for years and probably got wet numerous times.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
toytron

Post by toytron »

joelsplace wrote:Glad to help. I have a Black & Decker and another that I forget the brand that have desulphate functions. They are made by the same company. They use high frequency A/C to break up the sulphation. The Battery Minder automatically switches to desulphate/float mode after the battery is fully charged. I leave most of my Corvair batteries on them all the time they are parked so I know they won't fry a battery. I've been using them almost 20 years but consistently just for the last 5. I bought 4 new ones at a swap meet originally for $4 each and didn't realize they were anything but low amp chargers until 5 years ago. 2 of those died and I swapped parts so I still have 3 of the 4 working. One transformer and one circuit board died. Northern tool seems to have the best prices on them. I've picked up 6 more at $20-25 each. The ones at NT are a newer model than the ones that died. To be fair they both lived outside for years and probably got wet numerous times.
I will have to pick up a couple from Northern Tool. We have one nearby.

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”