Engine cover insulation

All Models and Years
Bill MC

Engine cover insulation

Post by Bill MC »

I do not have any insulation on the inside of my engine cover, and am wondering how effective this is to reduce engine noise? Any comments are appreciated!
thnx
terribleted

Re: Engine cover insulation

Post by terribleted »

It does a little I am sure. It also helps protect the finish on the lid from heat.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Bill MC

Post by Bill MC »

Sure, I agree it is likely to offer some sound deadening...am surprised that the insulation panel shipping weight is 38 lbs. (shipping costs are nearly as much as the panel!).
So I am just trying to weight the cost versus reward type thing. It is a fun driver, not a nut and bolt correct code number -type car.

So I am looking for someone to say either, "Man, it is amazing the difference with the insulation cover on!"...or maybe "yeah it's ok, it helps a bit".
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Sucks that they do not fold up nicely, would sure help the shipping cost. I have operated Corvairs with and without this insulation, but, I can not say whether there is much difference in sound level as every car is different (different exhausts etc,). What I can tell you is that if you want to quiet engine noise in your Corvair the best way is to heavily sound insulate the area behind the rear seat and under any package deck, and of course run a quiet stocky type exhaust system.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

Bill MC

Post by Bill MC »

Thanks for the reply! I have added sound deadening insulation behind and under the back seat and I think the engine noise level is somewhat reduced from that. The wife says it is still a bit loud ugh. I think you are correct that the next step is a better quieter muffler as well.
appreciate the help,
Bill
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Bill - Note that there is insulation that goes on the inner fenders also. To get the best noise reduction you need all three pieces. The insulation works best at attenuating higher frequency noise. Won't do much if you have loud booming mufflers.

Ted is correct about the mufflers and air cleaners. The stock air cleaner and exhaust make the least noise. I have a NOS Corvair 140 HP dual system on one car (it was from an estate sale, in a garage for 40 + years) and I have Clark's basic dual 140 HP system on the other. The NOS system is quieter, but I like the Clark's setup as it's just the right tone and does not make that awful droning sound on the highway some louder systems do. BTW the 110 HP single system is quieter than the duals in my opinion.
66corsaguy

Post by 66corsaguy »

Bill MC wrote:Thanks for the reply! I have added sound deadening insulation behind and under the back seat and I think the engine noise level is somewhat reduced from that. The wife says it is still a bit loud ugh. I think you are correct that the next step is a better quieter muffler as well.
appreciate the help,
Bill
Image1528737153.652315.jpg
Image1528737153.652315.jpg (46.77 KiB) Viewed 1317 times
I just bought these and they come with a headset!! I have aftermarket muffler so it’s a bit loud. For long drives we will be using the two way radio. Lol. And it’s fun!!

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

2 way radio to converse in the car?? That is very loud. Do you even have an exhaust system on it??

66corsaguy

Post by 66corsaguy »

terribleted wrote:2 way radio to converse in the car?? That is very loud. Do you even have an exhaust system on it??
I am exaggerating!! I bought them for a camping trip But thought it’d be funny to use in the Corvair. I don’t think my girlfriend will oblige me tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

:)

Bill MC

Post by Bill MC »

I like that radio idea..."breaker 1-9 Miss Salley...pass the cheeto's...over - rover"

(ok...have to work on that)
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

wife and I used CB when traveling in 2 cars. I tried to warn her about the incoming goose that just bounced off the loadsides windshield but she heard it just before it landed in the middle of her hood:)

lalkie

Post by lalkie »

How do you stick the inter fender insulation to the car. I have had difficulty getting ti to stick. Thanks Larry
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

lalkie wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:39 am How do you stick the inter fender insulation to the car. I have had difficulty getting ti to stick. Thanks Larry
3M makes a number of spray adhesives. Some are at Home Depot - See https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/ ... 7497&rt=r3

77 or 74 should work. You'll notice that 77 says can be "temporary". If you spray both the fender and insulation, allow to tack it will be permanent. If you only spray one surface it can be pulled apart - handy for anchoring car carpet, but you can still pull it up for repairs.
lalkie

Post by lalkie »

Thanks for the response on the glues. I didn't want to hijack the post. Thanks again Larry

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”