Steering Column/Shaft ID

All Models and Years
omcarms

Steering Column/Shaft ID

Post by omcarms »

Hello! I have a 67 that has a somewhat pieced together column. The PO told me that he swapped parts from a 66 into the car because the 67 was missing its column.

I’m wondering if anyone can tell if this is a 66 steering shaft or most likely the 67? I was under the impression that the coupler on a 66 was closer to the gas tank (half the distance between the steering wheel and steering box). The coupler on my steering shaft is at the end of the shaft and connects to the small shaft on the steering box.

Also, my steering shaft appears to be two parts, with the part closer to the steering box looking as if it could slide into the upper part, with what appear to be some kind of small spot welds where they overlap.

Thanks!
Brandon
IMG_7505.JPG
IMG_7510.JPG
IMG_7510.JPG (36.95 KiB) Viewed 345 times
Last edited by omcarms on Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
notched

Re: Steering Column/Shaft ID

Post by notched »

That sure looks like the correct 67 column and shaft. The shaft is integral to the steering box on the 66.
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
omcarms

Steering Column/Shaft ID

Post by omcarms »

Awesome! Thank you, Notched!

I finally found the steering box chart I had seen a while ago that kinda answered my question after I posted this.
IMG_7531.JPG
In the 65 shop manual, 67 supplement, and Clarks catalog there is no reference made to a coil spring inside the steering coupler between the base of the shaft and bottom of the coupler. Is there supposed to be one in there? I found one in mine. Do you just fill the entire cavity of the coupler with bearing grease?

61 Lakewood, 67 Monza coupe, 64 Pontiac Tempest, 65 GMC Handivan

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”