Repo Speed-O Drive Grease Cap Problems

All Models and Years
GasDaddy140

Repo Speed-O Drive Grease Cap Problems

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Hi,

I've been messing around trying to get my new Clark's Speed-O cable to drive off their repo-drive grease cap for so long now I'm going a little crazy. It should be pretty simple! So, I'm checking in for help. The Corvair is a 65 140 Corsa and all parts are new. The repo-drive grease cap just doesn't catch the cable and turn it. Only a couple of times it did, when I was removing the grease cap once again and it angled enough to turn the cable a little. Has anyone ran into this? Is JB Weld the answer to cheap-O, speed-O cable drive grease cap from Taiwan?

I've added a few pictures. The grease cap speed-o drive does fit the stock hub correctly. The cap drive stand-off looks a little over size to me.

Thanks for the help, I hope :)
Attachments
IMG_0694.JPG
IMG_0695.JPG
Last edited by GasDaddy140 on Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA
"When in doubt...Hit the gas!" A.J. Foyt.

1965 Corvair Corsa (field find) Project
1971 Dodge Sportsman "shorty" 318 van
2015 Nissan Juke S
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: Clark's Repo Speed-O Drive Grease Cap Problems

Post by azdave »

I would first contact Clarks for a replacement if you feel the part is defective.

If you just want to experiment, you might try heating the plastic gently and then compress it slightly around a square stick sized to simulate the speedo drive cable end. Also make sure the cable is not too tight in the housing causing it to slip inside the square socket on the cap. You need to be able to remove the cap later without tweaking the cable so don't make it too tight.

If the plastic drive part inside the cap is really soft plastic, maybe a small section of brass hobby tubing fitted around the outside would help prevent the plastic from distorting when it drives the cable.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

O.K. Something looks very wrong in your picture. The cap goes on the spindle really tight and you should not be able to get it off/on with the wheel bolted up. Take off the wheel and tire and THEN install the cap. You'll need a tool or socket to press on the grease cap at the edges. If you smack it in the middle you'll ruin it. I'd also back off the speedometer cable until the grease cap is on then install the cable.
GasDaddy140

Post by GasDaddy140 »

66vairguy wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:40 am O.K. Something looks very wrong in your picture. The cap goes on the spindle really tight and you should not be able to get it off/on with the wheel bolted up. Take off the wheel and tire and THEN install the cap. You'll need a tool or socket to press on the grease cap at the edges. If you smack it in the middle you'll ruin it. I'd also back off the speedometer cable until the grease cap is on then install the cable.
Hi 66Vairguy, the aftermarket wheel has an oversize center hole and does not effect the original drive-cap placement on the original hub/spindle. I have to carefully pry it up and off. I have installed and removed the grease drive-cap with the wheels on and off of the car. I have also backed off the speed-o cable and assembled that way and visa-versa.

Thanks for your input! :tu:

I'm a quality professional and know an "inexpensive" part when I see one. I think I'm going to shim the inside for a better fit.
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S
GasDaddy140

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Hi AZDave!

The part is low quality. Unfortunately that happens sometimes when off-shored labor and parts cost are involved. Certainly not worth almost 40 bucks.
I've been very satisfied with many other Clark's purchases!

I like you idea about shimming the inside so that it will actually "drive" the cable. The cable is new and free moving. It just needs to be moved by the cap.

Thanks for you help!
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

I know you’re having a problem but I’ll just say I have both Clark’s speedo cable and drive cap on my ‘65 Corsa and they seem to work fine. I would contact Clark’s and see what they say.
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Regal Red Corsa 4 Speed Turbo Convertible
Restoration "In Progress"...
plmbcrzy

Post by plmbcrzy »

azdave wrote:I would first contact Clarks for a replacement if you feel the part is defective.

If you just want to experiment, you might try heating the plastic gently and then compress it slightly around a square stick sized to simulate the speedo drive cable end. Also make sure the cable is not too tight in the housing causing it to slip inside the square socket on the cap. You need to be able to remove the cap later without tweaking the cable so don't make it too tight.

If the plastic drive part inside the cap is really soft plastic, maybe a small section of brass hobby tubing fitted around the outside would help prevent the plastic from distorting when it drives the cable.
I don't know if I'm right or wrong. I was thinking that the inner cable is wound. Perhaps when spinning it's riding itself towards the speedo like a screw and out of the cap. I'm trying to picture it in my mind but I have only a few sips of coffee in me and only out of bed about 10min lol

Sent from my [device_name] using Corvair Forum mobile app

azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

plmbcrzy wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:10 amPerhaps when spinning it's riding itself towards the speedo like a screw and out of the cap.
No, but your suggestion gave me a clue.

First, the speedo cable is blocked at both ends from moving too far so it really has no place to go even if it did try to spiral towards the speedo head ( possibly enough to disconnet the drive in the dust cap). If it were an aftermarket cable and trimmed too short by the installer then maybe it could happen.

GasDaddy 140,
With the clue from plmbcrzys, I went back and looked at your first photo, it seems like my own speedo cables stick out much further than what I see in your photo. Mine come out past the end of the axle at least 1/2" or so. Certainly far enough to stick an electric drill on one as a test because I did that just last weekend to my own Monza to check the speedo head operation. Maybe that is your problem. Maybe someone installed a new cable in the old housing and cut it too short. The inner replacement cable comes in a kit for many applications and have to be trimmed to length. I'll bet only the very tip of the square drive cable is engaging the cap and that is not enough to get a good bite.

Check it out. Let me know if you need a measurement or photo from my car to assist.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

azdave wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:40 am
plmbcrzy wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:10 amPerhaps when spinning it's riding itself towards the speedo like a screw and out of the cap.
No, but your suggestion gave me a clue that the cable may in fact be too short.

First, the speedo cable is blocked at both ends from moving too far so it really has no place to go even if it did try to spiral towards the speedo head ( possibly enough to disconnet the drive in the dust cap). If it were an aftermarket cable and trimmed too short by the installer then maybe it could happen.

GasDaddy 140,
With the clue from plmbcrzys, I went back and looked at your first photo, it seems like my own speedo cables stick out much further than what I see in your photo. Mine come out past the end of the axle at least 1/2" or so. Certainly far enough to stick an electric drill on one as a test because I did that just last weekend to my own Monza to check the speedo head operation. Maybe that is your problem. Maybe someone installed a new cable in the old housing and cut it too short. The inner replacement cable comes in a kit for many applications and have to be trimmed to length. I'll bet only the very tip of the square drive cable is engaging the cap and that is not enough to get a good bite.

Check it out. Let me know if you need a measurement or photo from my car to assist.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
GasDaddy140

Re: Repo Speed-O Drive Grease Cap Problems

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Thank you All!

I certainly didn't want to beat up our good Corvair supplier and edited my subject title. Just frustrated.

You're right! I think that the cable is too short. If it were longer I'm sure that it would secure in the drive-cap. The cable assembly and bracket is also new as I stated and the cable would appear to be cut short then. I'm going to investigate that and will contact our good supplier.

Just so eager to get some miles on my hard earned Corvair masterpiece. :chevy:
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

I've used the Clark's cap and cable assembly without issue, but a few have reported problem in the past.

Occasionally the inner cable is too short or too long (binds). I'd call Clark's since they usually take care of a problem.

In the old days before the outer housings were worn out we'd just install a new inner cable and occasionally somebody would cut one too short so it would work a while then quit. If you have your old cable you might pull both the inner cables and compare the length.
CorvairCon65

Post by CorvairCon65 »

I replaced my speedo cable last year and used Clark's Improved Repro cable which is obviously inner and outer combined. It was hassle free and no need to cut a replacement inner cable to length. Had a lot of speedo wobble at first but after a couple of miles it settled down. Costs a bit more but less aggro.
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

I pulled the dust cap last night on my 65 Monza to get a photo for you. My speedo cable sticks out about 3/8", not the 1/2" I reported earlier from memory.
20180307_170812_001.jpg

Also note the pic of the exhaust tube adapter used to re-install the dust cap. That is how the pros install a cap without banging it all up.
20180307_170855.jpg
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
GasDaddy140

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Thanks for the spindle cable picture AZDave. Yours obviously sticks out quite a bit further than mine. I also like your grease cap installation fixture!
My work-week has been exceptionally busy, but this weekend I will get after the cable issues I'm having and feel more confident about resolving the speed-o drive issue!
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S
GasDaddy140

Post by GasDaddy140 »

CorvairCon65-Glad to hear it worked! I thought that I did buy the premium kit; cable, jacket, and metal bracket-no cutting by me. I will sort this out.
Thank you!
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S
GasDaddy140

Re: Speed-O Turns! But MPH High.

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Hey Corvairs!

Wanted to follow-up and say that some shimming of the inside of the grease cap-drive got the speed-o cable turning! Yay! However I'm about 10 MPH too fast on speedometer output. I'm running 185/70/14s up front and they have a carefully selected 24" height. Any experience with this?

Ran super today! Took the masterpiece down the highway to Santa Rosa with my daughter and it tracked straight and was rather comfortable. No carb spitting since the tune check-up, and shifted 1st and 2nd quickly at 5000 rpm. Pretty tight little Corvair.

More junk to fix though :chevy:
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”