Looking for opinion on front spoiler

Anything Corvair related
morevair

Looking for opinion on front spoiler

Post by morevair »

All,

Got a 1966 Corsa 4sp/140... It's currently got the stock air dam... When traveling at highway speeds 65+, the front is really lite... I am aware that the stock "spoiler" is intended to block air from approaching from below. My question is... the after market "Camero style" spoiler, does it offer more "down force" ? or is it just looks... plus I've seen different versions of this type of spoiler... wrapped, ported... etc. Is there any advantage to this design ? or is it just looks ?

Opinions welcome... thanks
Jeff M. in Phoenix, AZ
1966 Corsa 140 4-speed
steve57

Re: Looking for opinion on front spoiler

Post by steve57 »

Hmm, I have a stock air dam on my 69 and don’t notice in lightness in the front end. 70+ speeds on the freeway. I do have spare in trunk. Are your tire pressures adjusted correctly?

Sent from my iPad using Corvair Forum mobile app
Steve
Bakersfield,CA
1969 monza coupe
110, 4speed
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Tire pressures need to be considerably lower in the front than the rear in general on Corvairs spoiler or not. My late model cars I run around 32 rear and 22 front. I have had both stock and more slanted fiberglass units...I fell the fiberglass units I have used have just a slight edge at highway speeds but are certainly not as durable.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
66corsaguy

Post by 66corsaguy »

terribleted wrote:Tire pressures need to be considerably lower in the front than the rear in general on Corvairs spoiler or not. My late model cars I run around 32 rear and 22 front. I have had both stock and more slanted fiberglass units...I fell the fiberglass units I have used have just a slight edge at highway speeds but are certainly not as durable.
I thought that tire pressure was just early model? Should i be putting my tires at 22 up front? I have 15” radials

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Nope factory speced tire pressure differentials were for all years. In fact the tire decals on 65 models state 26 rear and 15 front for the original stiff sidewall biased ply tires. I have run 15" radials at 18-22 on the front before no issues, but fell that anything under around 20 cold is a bit squishy. If they are low profile and I might run more like 34-35 rear and 24-25 front, but, I always run roughly a 10 psi differential. Tinker with it a little and you find what works best and what the tires like wear wise as well. If you run them even all around the front end will tend to be lite and the front tires will also tend toward over inflation type center wear. Moving weight to the front like spare helps the nose lite tendency and if enough weight is in the nose then less pressure differential might be ideal. I have never found even to be ideal under any load.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

It's been a very long time since I've driven a Corvair on the freeway with an original factory air dam so I can't do a fair comparison to that one but adding the early Camaro air dam made a noticeable difference to several of my 65's that had no air dam from the factory.

When it comes to the aftermarket choices, I can't tell a difference in driving between the flatter style and the wrap-around style units seen below but the S10 wrap around I used on the yellow Corsa had to be narrowed and was much harder to install than the air dam on the white Monza.
Attachments
DAW_0151.JPG
DAW_0120.JPG
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
MonzaDave

Post by MonzaDave »

Mine is currently unobtanium, but is similar to the old Corsa Enterprises spoiler. The car is very stable up to at least 93 (which is where the Wyoming Highway Patrol interrupted my search for maximum velocity).
Attachments
IMG_2800.JPG
Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Years ago a debate on the other forum about the effectiveness of the 66 and later stock spoiler vs. none in 65 suggested the 66 and up spoiler was noticeable move effective than nothing.

Ted's right on the tire pressure if you are running the same size front and rear.

I run a bigger tire in the rear and moved the battery and tire up front. I only run the fronts a couple pounds less and have no issues. Not suggesting you do that, but just moving the spare up front helps if you don't mind losing some trunk space. BTW - all the A/C cars had the spare up front. The only reason GM moved the spare to the rear was because a Ford Falcon ad in 1960 dinged the Corvair for a "little trunk" so GM moved the spare to the engine compartment - not the best for weight distribution. Also that's why the 61 panel was revised, not for styling but to add a couple inches to the advertised trunk specification.

Yes the Corvair and Falcon had quite an advertising war going on in 1960 and 61. In 1960 the Falcon six was 144c.i. and the Corvair was 140c.i. In 1961 the Corvair engine increased to 145c.i. and that folks is why ONLY five c.i. was added so GM could make the claim the Corvair engine was bigger!!
Mark zaba

Post by Mark zaba »

66vairguy wrote:Years ago a debate on the other forum about the effectiveness of the 66 and later stock spoiler vs. none in 65 suggested the 66 and up spoiler was noticeable move effective than nothing.

Ted's right on the tire pressure if you are running the same size front and rear.

I run a bigger tire in the rear and moved the battery and tire up front. I only run the fronts a couple pounds less and have no issues. Not suggesting you do that, but just moving the spare up front helps if you don't mind losing some trunk space. BTW - all the A/C cars had the spare up front. The only reason GM moved the spare to the rear was because a Ford Falcon ad in 1960 dinged the Corvair for a "little trunk" so GM moved the spare to the engine compartment - not the best for weight distribution. Also that's why the 61 panel was revised, not for styling but to add a couple inches to the advertised trunk specification.

Yes the Corvair and Falcon had quite an advertising war going on in 1960 and 61. In 1960 the Falcon six was 144c.i. and the Corvair was 140c.i. In 1961 the Corvair engine increased to 145c.i. and that folks is why ONLY five c.i. was added so GM could make the claim the Corvair engine was bigger!!
Early Camaro front spoiler a must do for the EM Corvair
15179631324973a4e663d0dc660548b90cb493f523610c9fda2ac2c73616aaa41190265f74c0533bf71db92c0acafaaedfe8e3dc24ba0ffe239891de1fdce9612f315c65afeff.jpg
Sent from my [device_name] using Corvair Forum mobile app

dave t

Post by dave t »

Classic industries has on for rather little $. I had one on my 63 spider before it was stolen. Only problem was the reduction of front end clearance. I could cruise at 70 with no problem. I also had rebuilt the suspension and steering so everything was tight.

Sent from my [device_name] using Corvair Forum mobile app

morevair

Post by morevair »

Thanks all, for your input, I’ll probably stick with the stock spoiler for now, so many other things to do on my vair...
Jeff M. in Phoenix, AZ
1966 Corsa 140 4-speed

Return to “Corvair Talk”