Pricing

Anything Corvair related
Mherriford

Pricing

Post by Mherriford »

So my parents have a 1965 corsa. I can remember riding in it as a little kid. It has been sitting for a long time, the last time it was registered was 86. Dad rebuilt the engine, put the engine back in and then promptly bought a new car, it has been sitting ever since.

It sat under a carport for the first 15 or so years, then got moved into a barn, it has a few minor rust issues I can see, but Oregon is not a salt state, so no major cancer that I have found. He has a while bunch of extra parts, all sorts of stuff, some new, some used.

They are into their 70s now, and would like to see the car find a good home where someone could put it back on the road.

I will try and get out there tonight and snap some pictures of it. But I am curious as to where to start for a price.

Any particular ideas of areas I should be sure to take pictures of?

Any idea where to start for a price on an obvious project, albeit a very complete and apparently unmolested car?

Thanks for your help guys,
terribleted

Re: Pricing

Post by terribleted »

Pricing is very much determined by condition. Photos of what you have would help make a somewhat educated guess. Details of rusts hole if any and where they are important. are the floor pans truly solid. Is it a coupe or convertible? What engine is in it? CORSA should be 4 carb 140HP or 180 Turbo. Is any of the interior usable? So many questions.....
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Mherriford

Post by Mherriford »

The interior is in good condition, it does have the 4 carb 140 engine. And it is a coupe.

I will be sure to get pictures of the floor pans if at all possible. Any other trouble areas I should try and get pictures of?
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Pictures of engine from several angles, VIN tag next to the battery, body tag on left or right rear inside engine compartment, assorted interior photos, dash & Gauges,trunk bottom, floors if you can plus any obvious rust or damage areas.

Until we see some preliminary photos we would only be guessing on the value. If the engine doesn't run but will turn over with a wrench than it can only be considered a good core until proven otherwise. If the engine is locked up that's worse of course.

Depending on condition and location you might have an $800 parts car or a $2500 project car. I have many Corsa Corvairs at home so I don't pay much to get another one. I'm only looking for smokin' deals. Someone who only has one or wants a Corsa bad enough will pay much more than I.

Let's see some pics!
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
Mherriford

Post by Mherriford »

Well I have some pictures, havnt hosted any pics since photo bucket went screwy, can anybody suggest a hosting site that will play nice?
Mherriford

Post by Mherriford »

Interior
Attachments
20180123_191720.jpg
Mherriford

Post by Mherriford »

Engine overview
Attachments
20180123_192406.jpg
Mherriford

Post by Mherriford »

Battery tray
Attachments
20180123_192412.jpg
Mherriford

Post by Mherriford »

Tag in engine compartment
Attachments
20180123_192557.jpg
Mherriford

Post by Mherriford »

This is the only real rust I have found, behind the rear wheel on the drivers side, passenger side looks pretty good.

I will post a few more pictures tomorrow when I get to work with better service lol
Attachments
20180123_192739.jpg
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Rust out under the battery is common. Does the engine turn free? around here in Georgia from what I can see so far...not running with engine turning free that might be a $2000 car on a good day.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

The front seats look like 67 or later. Not original, but not an issue as some prefer the later seats.

The floor pans condition will have an impact on price.

The battery issue with the lower fender rot is a known issue and Clark's sells reproduction sheet metal to repair it.

Critters may have gotten into the car and they like cushion stuffing.

The car will need a major brake system rebuild. Engine and transaxle are unknown.

Definitely worth saving, but a major project that will need the right buyer to tackle. Certainly worth more that scrap value, you just have to find a buyer.

Visit a local club meeting if possible to put out the word. Of course there is Craigslist, remember Craigslist shows asking price, not what a car sells for.
martyscarr

Post by martyscarr »

Hello Mherriford

Where abouts in Oregon is the car? My opinion is the market is pretty soft here in the Pacific Northwest for Corvairs, but your car does have potential being a CORSA.

regards
Marty Scarr
Eugene, OR
Mherriford

Post by Mherriford »

The car is in Sandy outside Portland
martyscarr

Post by martyscarr »

I have a friend in Sandy who is interested in looking at the car. Can you PM me your contact info?

thanks
Marty Scarr
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

terribleted wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:52 pm Rust out under the battery is common. Does the engine turn free? around here in Georgia from what I can see so far...not running with engine turning free that might be a $2000 car on a good day.
from the limited info and pics, about $2000ish on the high end would have been my estimate as well.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)

Return to “Corvair Talk”