OPGI Catalog Delayed

Anything Corvair related
caraholic4life

Re: OPGI Catalog Delayed

Post by caraholic4life »

Just for the fun of it, I typed OPGI Corvair into my computer and came up with the following information.
It appears their online catalog is up and running http://www.opgi.com/corvair/ sort of.

I noticed they were claiming to have sheet metal available so I decided to see just what sheet metal they offer and found it t be floor pans.
http://www.opgi.com/corvair/1965/sheet- ... dy-panels/
1965 Corvair Sheet Metal & Body Panels

With that said, I also see there appears to be some potential tall tales going on already in MY OPINION. :my02:

"Shop high quality 1965 Corvair sheet metal & body panels. Since 1982, we've sold thousands of our premium sheet metal & body panels to satisfied Corvair owners."

While it is nice that there is another avenue for parts for our vehicles, it is sad to see the integrity does not appear to be there. JMO

P.S.
I looked a little more at what the have to offer and there are at the moment, more ads listed for Corvair parts than actual parts listed. :td:
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner
dave t

Post by dave t »

We are programing the crossover parts right now. The parts that we already carry from other car lines. This will take a while as there are over 1500 of them. After that, we will start programing the corvair specific parts. There are over 8000 parts to program so it will take a while. But.... We are working on it. Please bear with us.

Sent from my [device_name] using Corvair Forum mobile app

dave t

Post by dave t »

Dave from OPGI

PaulR

Post by PaulR »

caraholic4life wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:25 pm Just for the fun of it, I typed OPGI Corvair into my computer and came up with the following information.
It appears their online catalog is up and running http://www.opgi.com/corvair/ sort of.

I noticed they were claiming to have sheet metal available so I decided to see just what sheet metal they offer and found it t be floor pans.
http://www.opgi.com/corvair/1965/sheet- ... dy-panels/
1965 Corvair Sheet Metal & Body Panels

With that said, I also see there appears to be some potential tall tales going on already in MY OPINION. :my02:

"Shop high quality 1965 Corvair sheet metal & body panels. Since 1982, we've sold thousands of our premium sheet metal & body panels to satisfied Corvair owners."

While it is nice that there is another avenue for parts for our vehicles, it is sad to see the integrity does not appear to be there. JMO

P.S.
I looked a little more at what the have to offer and there are at the moment, more ads listed for Corvair parts than actual parts listed. :td:
Your post got me interested in punching up what was now available for my 1964. All I saw is a few generic, non-Corvair specific parts and supplies. Really. So, I will continue to patiently wait and wait and wait.
1964 Monza convertible 110/PG
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

There isn't much to be found currently in the OPGI online catalog. By comparison, Clark's Corvair Parts has been running a highly successful business providing a broad range of Corvair parts to worldwide customers since 1973. In those 45 years they have built a huge inventory of Corvair parts that would be almost impossible for any other firm to match. It is far too early to render a verdict on the OPGI effort to become a Corvair parts supplier.

I did one comparison using a single part (dimmer switch) that I was able to locate in the OPGI online catalog. Using the estimated shipping costs for USPS Priority Mail from both suppliers, the OPGI total for this order was $32.08. The Clark's Corvair Parts total was $22.80.

1960-69 Corvair Dimmer Switch, Headlamp
Part# PZ00251
5 out of 5 Stars6 Reviews

SAVE: $2.96 Retail: $24.95
OPGI Price: $21.99
Part Type: (R) = Authentic reproduction of the original GM product
Years: 1960-69

Parts Total $21.99
Sales Tax $0.00
Shipping $7.14
Ins. & Handling $2.95
Order Total $32.08

SHIPPING METHOD (Shipping plus Ins. and Handling)
  • FedEx Priority Overnight - 10:30 AM $93.71
  • FedEx Standard Overnight $85.65
  • FedEx 2 Day $44.46
  • FedEx 3 Day - Express Saver $33.06
  • FedEx Home $20.87
  • USPS - Priority Domestic Mail $10.09

Parts Total $15.85
Sales Tax $0.00
Shipping $6.95 (USPS PRIORITY MAIL)
Ins. & Handling $0.00
Order Total $22.80

ImageImage
Part number C457: DIMMER SWITCH
Weight: 0 lbs 4 oz
Catalog Pages(s): 84B
Price: $ 15.85
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Also note the OPGI unit is same unit sold at most parts store and while it fits the Corvair - note the thick screw hole area. The Corvair dimmer had a thinner mount area and the screws were short so they would not stick into the wheel well (you have to seal them). To install the aftermarket switch in a Corvair you have to use LONGER screws.

So add the price of new screws with the OPGI dimmer.
66corsaguy

OPGI Catalog Delayed

Post by 66corsaguy »

I just bought dimmer switch and pigtail from LAPS and paid $18.42 with tax- both parts all in. It is not exact repro of course. Base is a little chunkier (add new screw cost or grind off excess) than the OEP And the pigtail is completely different but sits in the new part (and black wires not OE colors. So it is different but i have it today and really - a lot cheaper. I would buy from Clark’s if it was parts cost only but the shipping kills me for small single items.

No way to get around it so generally i wait to buy small things until i have a larger item to purchase so that the shipping is off set.

At this point i don’t see myself buying from OPGI unless it’s a part that Clark’s does not have. I am a small business owner and i think it’s really important to support small businesses. One being CLARKS. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:think: Buying a single item at a time is an expensive way to purchase Corvair parts. A combined shipment of multiple needed items, and purchasing recurring consumables such as filters, tune-up items, etc. in larger quantities to last one year or more is a good way to lower shipping costs.
::-):
Brad Bodie
jimrob

Post by jimrob »

I ordered the catalog over 9 months ago, nothing yet.
jimrob

Post by jimrob »

66vairguy wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:31 am Also note the OPGI unit is same unit sold at most parts store and while it fits the Corvair - note the thick screw hole area. The Corvair dimmer had a thinner mount area and the screws were short so they would not stick into the wheel well (you have to seal them). To install the aftermarket switch in a Corvair you have to use LONGER screws.

So add the price of new screws with the OPGI dimmer.
Hard to believe anyone does not have a few coffee cans around with screws for free.
dave t

Post by dave t »

Due to a change in management, I have been transferred out of the Research department at OPGI. I am now tech support for customers and the sales staff. I really like the position. This means however that I no longer have anything to do with the Corvair catalog.
Dave Thompson

Spike65

Post by Spike65 »

Based on going through OPI's on-line catalog many of the items seem to be generic and can fit multiple parts. Clarks has Corvair specific items which is a major difference in my opinion.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:goodpost:

Clark's Corvair Parts has been focused on Corvair-specific support since 1973, and they have been very good at it! Corvair Underground has been struggling and recently announced that they were phasing out their Corvair business. Several other good Corvair support suppliers seem to be doing well, but if OPGI can make a serious effort I'm sure they would be welcomed.

A generic parts supplier that may fit Corvairs, but with little experience or knowledge to back it up probably won't make much headway. Nobody can match Clark's knowledge or expertise in upholstery and interior components reproduction! Their wide inventory of Corvair -specific components and reproduced items is unmatched. With OPGI, we are still in the "wait and see" mode...

:dontknow:
Brad Bodie
toytron

Post by toytron »

OPGI just sent me an email saying that their online catalog is now viewable.

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

Just looked at the OPG on line catalog for Corvair's. Yuk!

Lots of parts listed for Corvair's that do not fit our cars. The listing notes more and more parts are added daily, but the listings so far were not good.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
toytron

Post by toytron »

Yep you are correct Jerry. Not happy with what I have seen so far.

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza

Return to “Corvair Talk”