Oil Additive

All Models and Years
Soft67

Oil Additive

Post by Soft67 »

I have 1967 with 97,000 miles on it. Is there any benefit in adding an oil additive, such as Restorer to the oil for better performance?
miniman82

Re: Oil Additive

Post by miniman82 »

Not really.

100k is probably time for a ring and valve job on these engines, youbstand to gain a lot more by freshening those things up than any additive will ever offer.
Click it!
Soft67

Post by Soft67 »

Sounds like good advice...thanks.
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

After all these years few know the history of their old Corvairs. You don't mention if the car is burning oil (smoke in exhaust).

Before doing anything check the cylinder compression with a good gauge. You may find the compression is fine in which case no additives are needed. Modern motor oil for "normal" driving is more than adequate.

I'd remove the valve covers to check for sludge, if the valve/head assembly is clean that's good.

Drop the oil pan and check for lead (old gasoline left lead in the oil pan) and sludge. Clean if needed so the new oil won't become contaminated.

Clean the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) plumbing as it gets dirty and plugged up even on a healthy engine due to neglect.

An engine in reasonably good condition benefits the most from frequent oil changes. For Hobby cars - every 2,000 miles or once a year whatever comes up first.
Soft67

Post by Soft67 »

Thank you...all this has been done. Oil changed every 2,000 miles throughout it's life. It doesn't burn oil and the car has been in my family 50 years. I thought that additional detergent might be necessary, but it doesn't look that way. It runs well and it looks like I can just drive it. Thanks again.
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Soft67 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:31 am Thank you...all this has been done. Oil changed every 2,000 miles throughout it's life. It doesn't burn oil and the car has been in my family 50 years. I thought that additional detergent might be necessary, but it doesn't look that way. It runs well and it looks like I can just drive it. Thanks again.
Good to hear. Your comments show that frequent oil changes in older engine designs promote long life. In the 50's and 60's my Dad drove a lot of miles, about 30K per year, and he had the engine oil changed every 2K miles. I recall he traded in his 61 Chevy with nearly 130K miles on it and and the engine had NEVER been rebuilt and it still ran fine.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”