Newbee- just bought a 65 monza convertible

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
Roketmann

Newbee- just bought a 65 monza convertible

Post by Roketmann »

New to group and looking forward to the wealth of knowledge to be found the many posts. Hi to all Lou
Jerry Whitt

Re: Newbee- just bought a 65 monza convertible

Post by Jerry Whitt »

Welcome to the Forum! As questions arise, lots of folks happy to help.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
Roketmann

Post by Roketmann »

Thanks Jerry, I appreciate that. As it turns out the parking brake failed during loading onto transport trailer. I am blessed with a great mechanic as a next door neighbor who will look it over tomorrow. He also maintains my 99 GMC Suburbans, 2004 Dodge Sprinter 2500 RV, 1971 Citroen DSuper and 1953 Willys pickup, and 2007 Ural Gearup side car motorcycle. I used to do most of this , but just turned 81 and don’t have the energy for wrenching but enough to to play with these great motors.
Deja Vu !!
I had a ‘65 Monza 2 Dr back in ‘72-‘79 with a failed park brake nicknamed “ The Brick” as I carried a brick behind the driver seat and used it as a chock.
Thanks again for yor post. Lou
Roketmann

Post by Roketmann »

I am sure I will be needing all the expertise you and all the others on the forum have. Lou
FoiledAgain

Post by FoiledAgain »

81? Since when do they allow kids to have Urals and Citroens?
Roketmann

Post by Roketmann »

I stay under the radar here in Arkansas- great scenic roads with very little traffic up in the Ozarks- motoring like it was when I first began to drive.
bobg1951chevy

Post by bobg1951chevy »

Roketmann wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:40 pm New to group and looking forward to the wealth of knowledge to be found the many posts. Hi to all Lou
:welcomeparty:
Many, many guys on here with so much knowledge ..... you'll enjoy your time on this forum.
Best part Lou ..... with you now here, I have found someone I can look up to, since I'm just a kid at 75 . :wave:
Bob G., Hendersonville, NC.

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan. 6/2000.
1969 Corvair 500 Coupe # 2671. 7/2017.
Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

Sure seems to be a lot of really really old guys in this group! I feel like a young kid at 73
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Roketmann wrote:Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:33 pm

...I used to do most of this , but just turned 81...
:welcome2: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

81? :doh: :oldtimer: :thumbsupwink: I just became eligible for Medicare and I'm feeling like a toddler in this discussion! ::-):
I've been around Corvairs since my parents bought our first new family Corvair — a brand new Monza coupe — in 1961. I was about eight years old then and I'm on my 10th Corvair now (purchased for our 40th wedding anniversary in 2012).

Don't forget to log in with your age group in the poll below. 518 have checked in on that poll so far, and your age makes you a 1 percenter!
What is the age range of Corvair Fans? (POLL)
:link: viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5975

This link may help you with your emergency brake repairs...
:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... N&page=148

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader format at no cost. Those reference materials may be a great help to your mechanic. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. While the Corvair Forum can be very helpful as you work on your Corvair, having local friends and contacts in your region who are knowledgeable about the Corvair can also be very helpful. These family-friendly CORSA chapters often offer picnics, group scenic drives, technical training and assistance, car shows, and competition events that can greatly enhance your enjoyment of Corvair ownership. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers. Clark's Corvair Parts is the biggest and oldest Corvair supplier in the world. You will find a link that can provide you with a series of videos that amount to a tour of the Clark's Corvair Parts facilities. I think you will be amazed at the quality of the reproduction components they offer — particularly the interior carpeting and re-upholstery items. Parts suppliers such as this truly make our Corvair hobby possible.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

We would love to see some detailed pictures of your recent Corvair acquisition. If you can't see how to upload digital photographs on this forum, be sure to use POST REPLY instead of QUICK REPLY. Post Reply gives you access to the full editor, which includes the ability to upload digital photographs.

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your earlier posts and tell us more about yourself. If you can describe your personal assessment of your Corvair and general automotive technical knowledge and understanding, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Knowing your specific location is also useful, because knowing where you live can sometimes suggest possibilities.

:welcome:

Your parking brake problem could be a front or rear cable, or even a problem with the pulleys, or both. If your car has an automatic (Powerglide) transmission the parking brake is even more critical, since the Corvair Powerglide transmission lacks a PARK position on the shift lever to lock the transmission.

I have attached a couple of references to assist you with the parking brake repair.

:chevy:
Attachments
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 5 - BRAKES.pdf
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 5 - BRAKES
(4.6 MiB) Downloaded 16 times
1965 Corvair Assembly Manual - BRAKES.pdf
1965 Corvair Assembly Manual - BRAKES
(2.29 MiB) Downloaded 10 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Roketmann

Post by Roketmann »

Thanks FG, Bob, And especially Brad for all the terrific info and links.
I had hoped for a mature forum group but youth does have some merits. One thing I can attest to- This is not a dress rehearsal.
To answer Bob’s request- I’m a retired Internatial airline pilot and Flight Engineer who flew for USAF, Pan Am, Delta, Falcon One Dubai Royal Flight and lived in Dubai UAE and Berlin Germany and Dominican Republic. Born Astoria NYC went to Rutgers in NJ. Have lived in FL, TX, ME, CA, and now in Mammoth Spring AR on the southern border of MO.

I was in the car business during my four Pan Am furloughs as a salesman and general manager for Jeep Fiat Lancia Saab dealership. Thank god for Jeep! Good ole AMC kept the doors open during the ‘70s. The only bright spot for imports was Emilio the Service Manager. He was with the Maserati team when Fangio was with the team. A subject for a whole other post.

I had an “Uncle” who flew for AA as Captain in the ‘30s and started collecting cars before the ‘20s- had about 150 cars out on Long Island NY and i was fascinated by all the unusual cars he had when visited. Guess I got the flying and car bug from him.

Over the years I had brand new ‘57 Chevy Convertible -Turquoise w/ white interior and soft top fender skirts and full continental kit. Great looker but keep up with my buddies Fords and Buick Century; traded it for ‘58 MGA ; then traded that for 1959 Mercury Colony Park Sta. Wgn. Then 65 Chevy Impala Sta Wgn; added VW Karman Ghia as Airport car; then ‘54 and ‘65 Corvair Monzas. Went overseas a drove Volvo, BMW 320, and Talbot (French Chrysler Product). Shipped back ‘86 Jaguar 4dr when returned to states. Then got a Ford Windstar and the cars mentioned in first post.
Never let an old guy get started- tend to get lost in past.
Lou

Return to “Introductions”