Apittslife's '66 Corsa Turbo

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
Apittslife

Apittslife's '66 Corsa Turbo

Post by Apittslife »

Hello all,

Going to move the Corsa on over here, from the Introduction Forum.
The cars Info:
Attachments
IMG_20171106_112249.jpg
IMG_20171106_112401.jpg
IMG_20171106_175417.jpg
IMG_20171106_175459.jpg
IMG_20171107_112113.jpg
Apittslife

Re: Apittslife's '66 Corsa Turbo

Post by Apittslife »

I Purchased Her a week ago, & had Her towed to my place of employment Oct-4th 2017, so I can work on Her when time permits.

My friend Wayne, Who I purchased the car thru, came by with the Title paperwork today. He was able to talk with the original Owner of the Car. It was a One owner car, Bought new in 67. The turbo engine ( T 0929 RL ) had 60,000 miles on it when it was removed from the car because He destroyed the Transaxle. He was going to just put the car up, But His Daughter wanted to drive the car. So He had the current engine ( T 1110 RH ) With a PG drive-train Installed into the car. She never learned how to drive a manual trans. She drove it till '87 when the Back window was broken, & He finally put the car in the garage, with the intention of fixing Her up again someday.
The original Turbo engine came with the car, & I was told today that it is a running engine & that it wasnt stock, & that the Mini-Keg in the back was for water injection. Unfortuniately the turbo is tight, But when I do get to putting her back in place, I will update the turbo & fuel delivery system.

It has been slow this week, so I have been able to clean-out the Fuel system, & replace the rubber fuel lines.
I Installed new plugs - ignition wires - points - condenser's - cap - rotor, & ignition coil.
Topped off the oil, & cleared the many years of debris from the engine, & carbs.
Today I dropped in a new battery, & 5-gal of premium fuel into the tank.
Next is the Exhaust, & then The braking system, as she has no Brakes outside of the Parking brake.

https://youtu.be/tKiBHWXPdsA

Thanks for reading, & I plan on keeping this thread updated as I make progress.

Sincerely, Paul
Apittslife

Post by Apittslife »

This is what I am hoping to get Her to look simular to. I am not going for a Yenko clone, But will be leaning towards the Sports car end.
Attachments
talbot YS199lf (Small).jpg
Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

Sounds like a fun project. Lots of us here willing to help as various questions come up.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
Apittslife

Post by Apittslife »

Thankyou, I hope She allows me to have fun, Very few GM product have been nice to me. lol But, so far, so good!
Trip

Post by Trip »

Enjoy! Make sure you follow the guidelines for your first engine start-up that Brad Bodie usually posts. I will neither confirm nor deny that I've had to use a fire extinguisher on the first start of a Corvair that had sat for a long time. :eek:
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
65 Corsa 180 Turbocharged coupe
64 Monza Convertible
61 Air conditioned Monza coupe (Missy's)
See them here: https://tinyurl.com/ydc7txrf
Apittslife

Post by Apittslife »

LOL, I had a fire extinguisher on the wall two steps away. I have a You-tube link Above for the start -up. but here it is: https://youtu.be/tKiBHWXPdsA

I will most likely have to rebuild the carbs, as I have to toss a bit of gas down the primary carbs to fire it, but after that, the engine stays running Until I put her in gear, then She stalls. Not Bad for sitting for 30 years.

Unfortunately All 4 studs Broke on me when I tried to remove the old exhaust.( Even with a hot wrench ) But I was able to drill them out & tap them to 3/8 X 16.
I found out why no-one is reproducing anything for exhaust systems as well. Seems the 110 HP motors have 1-5/8 Inch Tubing & Flange Gaskets. No-one makes that size tubing anymore. So I had to use 1-1/2 Inch tubing for the flanges, & bump them up a size, & then use 1-3/4 Inch tubing for the Y-pipe, & finished it out in 2 Inch Tubing to the muffler. Well, the 2" section of tubing isnt finished, as I havent decided on the muffler, to use yet.

Then, I finally picked the Turbo Engine off the ground, & set Her on an engine stand. It has 1-1/2 Inch Flanges & Gaskets, & the Turbo flange is an Odd size as well.
She has Otto Valve cover's & Oil pan. I Like the looks of them. Will have to make an engine cradle so I can fire up that engine, to see what I have. But first I will have to source a flywheel, & see if I can free-up the turbo. as it is locked up. But all that is down the road a bit.
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

You sure the engine number ends with RH???? RH is a two carb 110 HP. The four carb engine should be RN, 140 HP.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
Apittslife

Post by Apittslife »

lol, No, as my eyes arent as good as they use to be & they didnt exactly put the numbers where they are easily read. I will recheck it tomorrow.

I worked on the car today, & yes it is RH. So some where down the line someone put 140 heads on it.

Finished the exhaust today, & ran the engine for half an hour. wow those motors throw some heat. still am not able to get it to idle down around 800 rpms. She wants to be spinning up around 12 - 1500 rpms.
Apittslife

Post by Apittslife »

Surely Not, My best work, as I did it between jobs, nor was I trying to make it perfect, plus it was my first Corvair exhaust system. Also I really want to re-install the turbo engine. So it is really just an interum exhaust system.
Attachments
IMG_20171115_081521.jpg
martyscarr

Post by martyscarr »

"Seems the 110 HP motors have 1-5/8 Inch Tubing & Flange Gaskets. No-one makes that size tubing anymore"

That size is available from Columbia River Mandrel Bending in both stainless steel and mild steel. Here is a link to the mild steel bends: http://www.mandrelbends.com/mandrel-ben ... e.html?p=3

HTH
Marty Scarr
Apittslife

Post by Apittslife »

Kewl, But both my supplies do not, nor can I bend that size. But as stated, I worked around it. Thanks for the link, & maybe some one else can or will use it to their advantage.
Apittslife

Post by Apittslife »

Looks like I will be getting a Back-Glass in the car sooner then I had expected, I asked about one on a corvair facebook group, & a member there said I could have one, for the price of driving there to get it. SWEET!!

And Damn, I REALLY Appreciate That!

So I pulled the plastic off, & cleaned the channel out, ground out the surface rust, & painted the bare metal. So She is now ready for the replacement Back-Glass.
Apittslife

Post by Apittslife »

Great news,

I took a road trip to Nashville, Tennessee today, & picked up a replacement Back-Glass.
Met a really nice guy, by the name of: Otis Stewart, Nic-name "OB". From the Nashville Corvair Club. :tu:
He contacted me saying, He had a back-glass that I could have, if I was willing to drive down & pick it up. :ty:
He has two nice LM corvair's one Coupe, & one Vert.
So Monday, or Tuesday? I will have my girl weather tight.
GasDaddy140

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Good for you on the Back-Glass retrieval. And, good for the generous Corvair donate-tor. You have a hot car project, sports-car-y for sure! I've always considered the late model 2-door "pointy Corvairs" ready for sporting improvements.

How many miles do you think on are that 1966 sophisticated American Corvair machinery?
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA
"When in doubt...Hit the gas!" A.J. Foyt.

1965 Corvair Corsa (field find) Project
1971 Dodge Sportsman "shorty" 318 van
2015 Nissan Juke S
Apittslife

Post by Apittslife »

LOL Hello G-D,

The speedometer cable broke at 91,000 so I will say 100,00 ish? pretty good for a vair, & she still runs well. I drove her for the first tyme this week. just once around the building, with just the Parking brake to slow her to a stop.

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”