Replacing thermostat bellows

All Models and Years
morevair

Replacing thermostat bellows

Post by morevair »

Greetings,

Background: My first car (back in 1971) was a 1966 four door sedan 500 (loved it) and am trying to be 18 years old again... LOL

I'm about to be a new owner of a 1966 Corsa (purchased but not home yet)... But it was pointed out to me that one of the temp flappers is open (the drivers side) where as the passenger side flapper is closed (as it should be)... I live in Phoenix Arizona (hot place), and after looking at posts I don't think it will be an immediate issue... How difficult are these (if I'm doing to do one, I'll do both) to replace ? Although I'll check the linkage before I replace anything.. Are there any recommendations on parts ? (it say that Clark's has new USA versions)...
Jeff M. in Phoenix, AZ
1966 Corsa 140 4-speed
morevair

Re: Replacing thermostat bellows

Post by morevair »

From what I've read, these are mini bellows with a gas that expands or contract according to temp... As long as I'm going to replace them.. Is there a better solution, since it's been 50 years since it was created ?
Jeff M. in Phoenix, AZ
1966 Corsa 140 4-speed
Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

The bellows devices work good.

Hardest part is getting the old ones off. Usually some dirt build up in the shroud area. Once off, the job is strait forward. Just need to get the rear of the car up in the air about 36 inches or so.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
morevair

Post by morevair »

Sounds like I need to buy a Lift...
Jeff M. in Phoenix, AZ
1966 Corsa 140 4-speed
morevair

Post by morevair »

36 inches is 3 feet... Maybe I'll dig a pit in my yard...

Thanks for the information...

The adventure begins..
Jeff M. in Phoenix, AZ
1966 Corsa 140 4-speed
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

You should not need the rear of the car 3 feet off the ground unless you are a pretty large person...2 feet or a little more is likely enough. More does make it easier however.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
68ragtop

Post by 68ragtop »

I bought replacements from Clark's. As I recall, I had to drop one side of the lower shrouds to install. Three feet off the ground would be nice, but you can do it with less.

FYI: Corvair Lift Points
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

Since we do the remove shrouds in the summer routine, I can take shrouds off and put them on without jacking the car at all! 30 years practice on my own and customer’s cars.

Yes, I bend the sheet metal clip that holds the damper door rod in place. After a few years I use a sheet metal screw and washer to hold the rod in place. But I never deal with the “Jesus” clip 😄
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:
toytron

Post by toytron »

Terribleted
Don't discourage the guy! It is almost Christmas and he needs an excuse to buy himself a lift as a gift to himself. Lol

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

toytron wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:14 pm Terribleted
Don't discourage the guy! It is almost Christmas and he needs an excuse to buy himself a lift as a gift to himself. Lol

Ed Stevenson
LOL no discouragement. If he really wants a lift stay with the 3 or more feet argument:) It is actually easier to install the lower shroud with thermostat installed with the car lifted high enough that you can stand or sit on a rolling stool under it. So much easier to reach in, manipulate and see the rod, rod bracket and clip. I think every Corvair owner should install a 2 or 4 post lift just to make this task easier:)
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”