1965 Corsa clone, but a sweeeeeet one

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
66corsaguy

Re: 1965 Corsa clone, but a sweeeeeet one

Post by 66corsaguy »

Gregory_Miller wrote:Vacuumed it out and replaced the dome light with an LED style. Looks as bright and will run much cooler. Has to installed correctly or no light. I touched it to the terminals in both directions just to see if it had steering diodes to make it polarity indifferent.
I tried to do LED and nothing was working. I thought crappy lights. Are you saying there's a trick to it?

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

66corsaguy wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:28 pmI tried to do LED and nothing was working. I thought crappy lights. Are you saying there's a trick to it?
Cheap LED PNP bulbs are polarity sensitive (like putting AA batteries backwards into your remote control doesn't work either). If you install a LED bulb and it doesn't work try to plug it in the other orientation.

Better quality PNP LED bulbs have a diode bridge circuit hidden inside that makes them work no matter how you plug them in.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

I was still having issues with bucking and missing even after all this work after some more driving. Last night I pulled all the plugs and it seemed that the plugs looked like they were running a bit lean, I replaced the 51 main jets with 52s. Checked for fuel leaks with the electric fuel pump while engine off, no leaks.
Tonight, Marty Scarr came over and took a fresh look at my car. Honestly, while I can do a lot, I have never been a "tuner". Results were quite promising as I had way too much base timing set, a left-over from a failing coil. He dialed it back to 16 degrees, and it was significantly better. His suggestions going forward was to back the timing to 14 degrees, add a bit to both idle screws and explore ways to limit the total travel of my vacuum advance a bit.

Happy happy joy joy joy! A HUGE thank you to Marty Scarr for taking the time to come over and help me get past chasing my tail. Might drive it to work tomorrow.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

So, after further diagnosis, it appears my car is happiest with right about stock timing at the low end, but base timing + mechanical advance + 24 degrees of vacuum advance is TOO MUCH at cruise. So, my plan is to limit the vacuum advance by somewhere between 6 and 12 degrees so all in advance is about 50 degrees instead of 60 as it is now. Idea from both Rex J and Marty S.
thewolfe
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by thewolfe »

That's a lot of vacuum advance! I thought the vaccum cans only advanced around 10 degrees.
Nate Wolfe
65 Corsa 180
61 Lakewood 140
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

I have been told the "217" can has 24 degrees total advance. It could be less, I will research. I will limit it a bit and see what happens. EDIT: 217 appears to have 11 degrees total advance, not 24. So, I think I'll try limiting it to about 6 degrees and see how it feels.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Further info shows that 11 distributor degrees = 22 crankshaft degrees, so along with the 16 degrees of static + 18 of mechanical and 22 of vacuum advance gives me a 56 degree total advance at cruise. Limiting the vacuum advance by 6 distributor degrees will limit timing by 12 at cruise. That's what I will start with.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Advanced the timing a touch, but need to buy a better timing light then the weak HF one I have, so figure I'm at about 16 degrees BTDC as 14 was a big doggy off the line. 16 or so is better, but with a timing light I might take it to 18 and see what happens there. I also added a 1/8" drill bit into the vacuum advance slot to limit it's travel a small amount. At this point with the about 16 degrees base timing it seems I need a bit more drill bit to eliminate the surging at the 35 MPH range than the 1/8. If I end up advancing the base timing a bit more of course I'll need an even bigger drill bit. Right now it limits very little, and with a timing light I'll have a much better idea how much I limit it by sucking on the tube and watching the timing mark move as it's pulled in. I'm so much closer than I've been in some time now to just being able to enjoy driving the car.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

I put a slightly larger drill bit in the advance can I'll see how it reacts to it.. and now, thanks again to Marty Scarr! He suggested that I lubricate the fittings for the balance tube as I have replaced the rubber hoses with compression fittings. This will allow me to tighten them a bit more, he told me, as they do leak a little if not fully compressed. So, I loosened the 2 nuts on the balance tube and set it aside. Lubricating these ferrules was impossible with the Q-tip idea I had as the nut doesn't retract far enough to expose the ferrule. I sprayed a bit of silicone lube on them. Then I tackled the carb base tube side. The passenger side came off without issue, and I set it aside. The driver's side spun on the tube. It also didn't want to come off after I loosened the nut. I finally got it off and lo and behold... no ferrule. *blush emoticon* I had replaced the driver's side tube into the head as the existing one was pretty beat up. I used the coupler with the nut on one end to drive the new tube in, but I guess I left out the ferrule when I reattached everything. D'oH! Well, there is a ferrule now and the vacuum leak there that I couldn't hear is definitely sealed now. I'm going to drive it to work tomorrow and see what the changes I made tonight do. Left base timing alone, but a slightly larger drill bit to limit the vacuum advance an unknown amount but I would estimate about 5 distributor degrees or 10 crank degrees at cruise with high vacuum.
I also adjusted the fast idle tang so I have a bit more throttle opening while on the fast idle cams.
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Gregory_Miller wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:16 pm ...I finally got it off and lo and behold... no ferrule.
Sometimes we are our own worst enemy. Glad you found the vacuum leak. Hope it improves the performance.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Been busy with Darth Real Life and the Corvair has sat in the garage gathering dust while it was "too damn cold" in the garage to work. Last night I removed the secondaries, took out the floats so they won't bounce around on empty bowls, removed and capped off their fuel supply lines and replaced the stock insulator with some custom made aluminum block-off plates to simplify everything. I also removed the Roger Parent accelerator linkages while I get everything just right. I was battling an inconsistent idle and if I have an issue with the linkage I want to eliminate it and then move back to it. Once I get everything smoothed out on the 2 primaries, I'll reintroduce the secondaries into the equation.
I also noticed on my primaries that the chokes were opening under near full throttle unequally. The tang on the passenger side carb that actuates the choke unloader ?? linkage needed adjusting. That's good now. I also am going to check fast idle flow on both carbs to make sure they are equal. Along with the inconsistent idle I had a bit of an issue with cold idle before the chokes open up. There are tangs on the carbs for adjusting that too. Turned on fuel pump, no leaks at the Ts that supply fuel to the secondaries.
Westds

Post by Westds »

Greg
How about bringing your car to the Spring Fling in Roseville on April 21. It would be great to see your progress in person.
Think about it, less than an hour drive for you.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

I'm in Eugene, Oregon, more than an hour away. :( I have been to the Spring Fling in the past before I had my current Corvair though. I am also on call through that weekend with my RL job. If I wasn't, I'd probably go north to Kirkland for their Spring Tune-up as it's a bit closer.
Speaking of closer, I think I am now, but son had high school orientation last night so didn't do anything on the car yesterday.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Well, didn't get to the car, but I can get to the car... the garage got a bit of a makeover this weekend along with all the other stuff I had to do. Hope to get on it tonight after work for a bit.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

VERY productive night in the garage last evening. I got my primaries balanced nicely and timing set t0 (currently) 20 BTDC, and it seems real happy there. The VA port is plugged as well as the secondaries. No fuel, manifold inputs blocked with aluminum plates with gaskets top and bottom and the secondaries in place basically as placeholders for now. Took it for a drive and the surging issue (3rd gear, 30 MPH for example it would surge with high vacuum and not much load) is almost non-existent with timing where it is now and VA disconnected. I did have it set at about 22 BTDC and it seems to be OK there too but then with VA connected surging issue was more pronounced. I am also messing with limiting the VA total advance a bit but that will come later. Only real minor issue left is my idle is not consistent, I'll get 900 RPM one time pulling up to a stop sign and 1500 another. I believe the issue with that is the adjustment under the car at the trans pivot, total length may be too long, pushing gas pedal against it's "full closed" stop. I'll get under it tonight and make it about 3 turns shorter in length, that should get the gas pedal off it's stop.
Almost ready for Spring car shows and well, just driving for fun. :tu:
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Made the adjustment to the trans pivot length, a little better but not all the way better. While troubleshooting this I mixed and matched many primary carb pieces and one of these 2 might just be a bit sticky. More troubleshooting to come. Disconnect pedal linkage from engine linkage, hook spring to engine linkage directly, rev up and if the idle is still inconsistent, it's not the linkage from under the car. I'll get there now, almost all the issues from the troubleshooting and all the other things I did in between are almost ironed out.
Drove it to work today: Image

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”