Gas leak

Anything Corvair related
Blair

Re: Gas leak

Post by Blair »

Yessir. Seems to leak from metal gas line coming from the drivers side carb. Either the brass nut or the steel one going into it
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

wow Blair is that a photo of what you have? The rubber fuel line is dangerous. There should be a steel line from the left front of the engine bay entering through a hole in the front shroud near the throttle linkage. This steel line would go to the fuel pump and the pipe that this rubber hose in the photo is hooked to would exit the fuel pump to the T fitting with both carb lines connected to it. I am not sure what that conglomeration is but the T that is used is likely not the correct thread for the carb lines thus the leak. This T in this photo is not the correct stock T and is likely not the correct threads or compression type so it leaks. What you have is some bullshit T with 2 bushings shoved in it and then fuel lines attached. Stock is a T with fuel lines attached directly to it. If it was me I would purchase a new inlet line from body fuel line outside the engine bay, a new T fitting, a new fuel pump inlet bushing (missing in this photo) and 2 new steel carb lines. I would then attach the fuel pump bushing to the bottom of the T and re-bend (you will need a basic tubing bender) the new inlet fuel line to go to the bushing and attach the new carb lines as they are in the photo. No more leaks and no rubber line fire hazard in the engine bay. If you have a belt break the way this crap is plumbed you are likely to have a fire.

Your fuel pump as it is configured in this photo can not leak any fuel anywhere as it is not connected to the fuel system at all.

Could have answered this easily with this photo!! when you ask questions a photo is worth 2000 words...and do not expect folks to look at other posts by you to find photos of your car....post them with the question.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
nmunn

Post by nmunn »

Blair, thank you for your service. Send me an address in a PM and I’ll send you a shop manual. Stay with the car, it’s a great hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Danny Joe

Post by Danny Joe »

A little more expansion on my previous post: Look on the Resources page under Repair Manuals, they are broken into PDFs of single chapters.
'64 Spyder Convertible
'63 Rampside (to be Rotisseried)
Toney, Alabama (just outside Huntsville)
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

terribleted wrote:...Could have answered this easily with this photo!! when you ask questions a photo is worth 2000 words...and do not expect folks to look at other posts by you to find photos of your car....post them with the question.
Please understand… It is not the intent here to point the finger specifically at you, as if you have committed some grievous sin. But this example shows clearly how a single picture can reveal so much to experienced Corvair owners, as opposed to possibly pages of text that fail to communicate the actual problem. There are many inexperienced or new Corvair owners that come to the Corvair Forum for guidance and information. They are not expected to be very knowledgeable about Corvair ownership and maintenance. In fact they have come here to gain knowledge so that they can work on their Corvair effectively. But a new Corvair owner does not necessarily even know the names of the various components, much less be able to spot abnormalities or incorrect assemblies that they have inherited when they purchased their Corvair. So often they know that they have a problem, but they struggle with explaining and describing exactly what their problem is. That communication breakdown can be quite frustrating as experienced Corvair owners struggle to understand just what is going on. The new Corvair owner is trying to communicate effectively, but lacks the experience, and the experienced Corvair owner is puzzled by the descriptions or by faults that may not be visualized by the new Corvair owner. A single detailed photograph of the engine compartment, for example, can, in fact, reveal problems that thousands of words from a struggling owner may never clearly identify. There are many new Corvair owners who will read through this page and may be able to more effectively communicate their problems by coming to the realization that a photograph or two may leap across the communication barrier.

In addition to the bypassed mechanical fuel pump and plumbers nightmare that exists on your engine (and could very well be a fire hazard), I noticed in your photograph of your engine that an incorrect alternator has been installed. The alternator on your Corvair was probably removed from a conventional GM product with an engine that rotates clockwise. The Corvair engine rotates counterclockwise. Because of this the normal cooling fan on a standard GM alternator is incorrectly designed for a counterclockwise rotating engine. As a result the cooling effectiveness for your alternator is less than it should be, and the life of the alternator may be decreased by the inefficient cooling fan.

Basically, the blades that circulate the air on an alternator that is configured for counterclockwise operation are attached on the left side of the fan. The blades on your alternator are configured for a clockwise running engine and they are attached on the right side of each fan blade. The potential for overheating is less pronounced on an alternator that has a standard amperage output. High output alternators generate more heat, so they would be impacted more. While this is not an urgent issue for you (the leaky fuel lines are much more critical) I wanted to make you aware that your alternator is incorrectly configured and probably should be corrected by changing the fan to a properly designed Corvair alternator fan when you get a chance. But you can see how uploading a sharp and detailed photograph of your engine compartment can often reveal problems to experienced Corvair owners as if they were standing right in your driveway and looking at your car. On the Internet it is critically important to communicate effectively with words and photographs to get the best possible outcome. I also try to make full use of drawings and photographs to help explain an issue when I write on the Corvair Forum. I have posted multiple pictures below to try to illustrate the difference between a standard GM alternator fan and a GM alternator fan that was designed for use on a Corvair.

ImageImageImage1965-69 alternator fan pulley, powder-coated bright yellow, counter-clockwise rotation, correct for your Corvair alternator.
Richard....here are two pics of the mounted "old" alternator. I cannot tell you "how" it was mounted but I can tell you that the previous owner was very creative. I had assumed that the factory mounting and alternator from 1965 was in place as the engine is from a 65. In looking at the picture below, those of you who are much more knowledgeable about these cars can probably tell how it was mounted. I suspect that the curved bracket may have been fabricated. The only way I learned that the fan was not the Corvair "reverse" fan was by seeing that the new one was exactly the same and then going online to look at images of a Corvair alternator.
Image INCORRECT ALTERNATOR FAN FOR CORVAIR
66vairman wrote:Date: May 06, 2013 09:27AM

Many decades back I worked with high speed and high power logic systems. Heat was a big issue and I had the good fortune to work with a great mechanical engineer who explained air flow and cooling techniques to me. YES A COUNTER CLOCKWISE (CCW) CORVAIR ALTERNATOR FAN IS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY. I find myself listening to "Corvair experts" who claim they have been using a regular CW fan without any issues since it doesn't matter which way the "wind" blows!! I try to explain the effects of pressure and air flow direction, but there is always some guy who says "I don't care what you say, it's always worked for me" - until it doesn't of course.
Corvair Alternator.jpg
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

I wonder how long the belt in your second photo would last Brad? :)
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:rolling: :rolling:

:not worthy: You caught that, huh! The original picture had a caption that specifically referred to the failed fan belt. I used the photograph to show a close-up of a Corvair alternator. But I suspected that someone with sharp eyes would recoil at that horrible fan belt!
Brad Bodie
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Blair's car has a generator with a reversed fan....a real piece of work on that thing:/ I think he may be deployed at this moment he said something about 2 weeks a few days ago.

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I looked at the fan but failed to notice that it was attached to a generator! :whoa: :redface:
Brad Bodie

Return to “Corvair Talk”