Formerly Grymm, re-introducing myself!

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
Trip Rodriguez

Formerly Grymm, re-introducing myself!

Post by Trip Rodriguez »

Greetings all! A few years ago I was a very active member of these forums. I dropped out for a while while my other hobby took over
( here it is on youtube if you want to have a look: https://youtu.be/BGebA2lLIuo ) but I'm BACK!

I was formerly known as Grymm, but that is a gaming moniker I dropped nearly seven years ago so I thought I'd use a more up-to-date nickname. Some of you likely know my wife, Missy, as she has continued to be active in some Corvair communities (Facebook, YUCK!).

Missy and I just completed the purchase of a very modest home last week, which included a permanent 'Vair shop for us! I'm super excited to have got my two Corsa coupes into the garage. The center of the garage is currently full of a couple work benches and a bunch of junk the old owners left behind, so I covered it up. Hopefully it will eventually be occupied by a Spyder convertible. ::-): The picture (adding it to signature) was taken at night and the red car is rather dirty so the pic is pretty lousy quality, apologies for that.

Those with keen eyes may note that my 65 Corsa Turbo has a 66 Corsa tail pan installed, that's the way it came to me but there is a proper 65 tail pan inside the car just waiting for me to get this car put together.

As for the state of these two Corsas, The red 66 is the car I drove for about five years until I wound up with some engine trouble. The 66' is a 140hp car, with a 280 Isky cam, 60 over bore, milled heads, forged pistons, LeVeque 1/8" over carbs, Clark's headers, and soon Snow Performance water injection. The car hasn't run for a few years due to the aforementioned engine problem which I'm hoping to tackle next year after I get some other 'Vair work done. The plan is to dig in and go all the way through this engine following instructions for performance mods from Seth Emerson's excellent book, fix various little things, and possibly new paint.

The black-ish 65 is a Turbo Corsa I bought from California. I've never driven it but it really doesn't need all that much. The diff is broken, but I've got two replacements on hand, and it has rust issues in just two places that I need to save up some money to get professionally repaired. The big one is the passenger door jamb. That is rotted out to where the door sags so I'm hoping to have the Corvair Ranch make a proper repair eventually. The other spot is in front of the windshield. Aside from that the car needs paint and some interior work.

Top of my list of Corvair project cars however is my 64 Convertible. She had suffered an engine fire with the previous owner, so I need an engine lid for it, some body work and paint, install a replacement engine (which I have ready to go), and some other various work. When it's done I hope to drive it for a while and then sell it to get a Spyder convertible project which I'll be planning to keep long term.

I'm glad to be back folks, and though I'm going to be extremely busy working on the new place I'm expecting to be checking in on this forum pretty frequently. I have to be careful, because reading the forum inevitably always lead me to at least an hour of posting replies to threads!

Big hugs go out to long lost friends, and apologies to Scott for dropping off the face of the earth for several years...
Last edited by Trip Rodriguez on Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:15 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
65 Corsa 180 coupe
64 Monza Convertible
61 Air conditioned Monza coupe (Missy's car)

Trip Rodriguez

Re: Formerly Grymm, re-introducing myself!

Post by Trip Rodriguez »

A few pictures of my cars:

Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
65 Corsa 180 coupe
64 Monza Convertible

toytron

Post by toytron »

Welcome back Trip.

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
Trip Rodriguez

Post by Trip Rodriguez »

Thanks Ed.
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
65 Corsa 180 coupe
64 Monza Convertible

rfw66

Post by rfw66 »

I am more of a lurker now that my Corsa is finished (are they ever, really). However glad you’re back and have your own, nice shop!
Regarding the paint removal on your ‘63. Taking my ‘68 down to bare metal, I used a heat gun and single edge razor blades! 6 layers of paint and primer came off very easily. Worked for me
Give it a go. You’d be surprised how fast the paint comes off.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Bob W
65 Corsa convertible
68 Monza coupe
Allan Lacki

Post by Allan Lacki »

Welcome back Ray!
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

It looks like your new home is only about 17 miles from your old home. Still plenty cold during those Pennsylvania winters! I hope you have a big space heater to keep your garage warm so that you can work on all those Corvair projects over the coming winter months! It is hard to keep motivated when those hand tools are so cold!

It is good to see that your Corvair "family" is continuing to grow with so many interesting Corvair projects. I am looking forward to seeing photographs and reading your progress reports.

It is good to welcome you back to the Corvair Forum. Here's a photo collage of some favorite photos that encompass some of your family history…
History.jpg
:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
TikiRalf
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by TikiRalf »

Awesome :tu: Great your back!
Enjoy all the Corvairs
Trip Rodriguez

Post by Trip Rodriguez »

Thanks Guys!

Brad, We have a big kickass vented propane heater that my Dad gave us (it used to be the heater for his basement shop). It will be able to quickly and easily heat my 24' x 24' garage. I just need to get an installation kit for it and run a propane line from the house tanks.

Bob, I'm not sure I'm going to bare metal on the rest of the car but I'll keep your tip in mind. I think I'm more likely to try to do that on my 66 Corsa getting it ready for a color change in the next year or two. The area that is down to bare metal on the 64 is where the fire damage was. It doesn't seem warped at all, only the engine lid got enough heat for that so it was scrapped.
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
65 Corsa 180 coupe
64 Monza Convertible

rfw66

Post by rfw66 »

Trip, good luck with your projects! Looks like one on your list will be insulation for your shop. I don’t envy that task! The Corsa on the other hand.....

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Bob W
65 Corsa convertible
68 Monza coupe
Trip

Post by Trip »

Yep, insulation is on the list. It may be a while until I can afford to buy the materials however!
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
65 Corsa 180 Turbocharged coupe
64 Monza Convertible
61 Air conditioned Monza coupe (Missy's)
See them here: https://tinyurl.com/ydc7txrf

Return to “Introductions”