Gas leak

Anything Corvair related
Blair

Gas leak

Post by Blair »

Had a big gas leak last night. Every time I turn the power on without starting the car, it starts dripping from where the carb fuel lines connect to the tube to the fuel pump. It doesn't leak when I have it running. And it continues to leak for about an hour
Jerry Whitt

Re: Gas leak

Post by Jerry Whitt »

Which car do you have? Which engine? What type of fuel pump?
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

So I assume you must have an electric fuel pump (since the stock one does nothing unless the engine is running) correct? Sounds like you have loose connections at the fuel pump T fitting but without photos of what is going on and questions as to whether anything is stock on your car it is hard to say. It would be unusual for fuel to leak when the engine is off but not on. It likely leaks all the time but perhaps leaks less when the engine is running since the line pressure would be lower running (might be a seep while running)
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Blair

Post by Blair »

It's a 64 monza. I was trying to get the tail lights to work and turned the power on and I started to smell gas. It only leaks after i turn the power on. I can run the car and drive it and there wont be any problems or leaks. I don't think it's an electric pump because there are no wires going to it. Most of the fuel system is new. Including the fuel pump but it doesn't say what kind it is. Yes it leaks out of the fuel pump T fitting but when I try to tighten it, it just twists the metal fuel lines. I have already damaged them but not bad enough to be a problem. I currently have a pair of vice grips clamped on the fuel pump hose to stop the gas from flowing as fast. Is there a better way to shut the fuel off?
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Hose?? There should be no hose at the mechanical fuel pump on the engine. There will also be no flow of fuel from the stock mechanical fuel pump with the engine not running. You do not know if you have an electric fuel pump? I think you need to get your car to someone who knows something about cars to help you sort it out. Whether or electric fuel pump is in the system or not is VERY BASIC. I'm sorry but I think you are in way over your head. Electric pumps are not stock and are generally not mounted in the engine bay. They should be mounted low near the tank outlet so you would not see any wires to the stock mechanical fuel pump if it is still installed. You MUST NOT operate the engine with a fuel leaks to do so invites an engine fire, and I do not care if you see leaking fuel or not when it is running. If it is leaking static it is leaking running as well.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

Blair

Post by Blair »

Whoever had the car before me may have used an electrical fuel pump and left the mechanical one there to plug the hole. Which would make sense because i took the fuel pump out a few weeks ago and it was in very rough shape, it had chunks of metal in it and the seal was rotten but the pump itself doesnt leak at all. They replaced the fuel system and that's all they did to it as far as i know. I'm not near my car right now so I will look into that later in the week. In reply to your comment, i am sorry I haven't been doing this for 30+ years. I'm 21 and found something that keeps me sane in the military life. I found something that I'm pretty good at for being a first timer because I have the patience and energy for it and have enough logic and common sense to rig it up my own way to make it work if I have to and I WILL do everything by myself or with the help from a friend when I need a hand. It went from a car that wouldn't even turn over to one that runs well and drives well. With no manual all I can do is ask stupid questions over the internet
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Call Clark’s and order the GM shop manuals like I suggested well over a week ago. They are reasonably priced and will save you lots of time and money. Like I said previously you need the 1961 Corvair manual (main book) and the 1964 supplement to cover your car. To try to repair your car without one particularly with low vehicle repair knowledge is simply silly. My intent is not to be rude or mean, but, only try to suggest routes to help you meet a successful result. From where I sit you continue to ask uninformed questions that you would not need to ask or could at least ask on an informed fashion if you would follow some suggestions and educate yourself by purchasing and studying a proper GM manual for your car as suggested. You would also get better responses by asking informed questions that would not frustrate those of us trying to help as badly. As for your fuel line leaks. The steel lines into the brass T virtually never leak. If they are tight but still leak they are either cross threaded or damaged and likely need to be replaced. There should be zero rubber fuel lines in the engine bay (fire hazard). Unless you like engine fires please do not operate the engine until you sort out the fuel leaks. Engine fires can start very easily from the slightest amount of fuel or fumes in the engine compartment.
Last edited by terribleted on Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

terribleted

Post by terribleted »

If you intend to keep the electric fuel pump ( I assume there is one), I would suggest bypassing the stock mechanical pump entirely as it is simply a place that is likely to leak fuel if left connected. Even worse it can easily leak fuel internally (and pretty much undetectably except for rising oil level) into the crankcase diluting the oil and ruining the engine.

Blair

Post by Blair »

Is there a part I can order to replace it? What do I do about it if I take it out?
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Clark’s sells a block off plug. They also sell an aluminum block that replaces the center part of the stock pump so it looks stock but does not function and can not leak into the engine. You can use either or these to take the pump out of the system, or you can just bypass the pump and leave it in place. You would need to custom bend the engine inlet fuel line to go directly to the fuel T instead of going into the pump and then out the pump pipe to the T. An adapter fitting will be needed to adapt the larger inlet fuel line to the smaller female fitting on the fuel T. The bushing that the engine inlet fuel line attaches to the fuel pump body with works I believe. So inlet fuel line to brass bushing removed from fuel pump to brass T and out to both carbs. Re-bend proper inlet fuel line to hit the new fuel T setup being sure fuel lines will not foul the belt or other functions in the area. Engine inlet fuel line is metal compression end fuel line that starts outside the engine bay near the starter at a rubber hose joining to the steel main body fuel line, and runs to the fuel pump.

terribleted

Post by terribleted »

You could also remove any electric pump, re-plumb as necessary and install a replacement stock mechanical pump. You said something earlier about fuel hose in the engine bay. There should be no rubber fuel hose in the engine bay as it is a fire hazard. Make or purchase steel fuel lines to eliminate any rubber fuel hose in the engine bay.

Blair

Post by Blair »

Thanks. Will it leak into the engine just sitting for 2 weeks? I'm going to the field on tuesday
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

I would say no. The mechanical fuel pump will only leak internally or externally when the engine is running or the electric fuel pump is running. You state it leaks when you power the ignition only and stops after an hour (this would be after system pressure drops to zero). If you want to be absolutely sure, pinch the rubber hose joiner coming out of the tank or pinch the rubber hose bringing fuel into the engine bay. A pair of vise grip pliers left pinching the hose closed will keep fuel from leaking period.

Danny Joe

Post by Danny Joe »

Welcome.
Go to the Corvanatics website, they have PDFs of the 61 Shop manual and the 64 Supplement that you can download for free.
'64 Spyder Convertible
'63 Rampside (to be Rotisseried)
Toney, Alabama (just outside Huntsville)
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Danny Joe wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:47 pm Welcome.
Go to the Corvanatics website, they have PDFs of the 61 Shop manual and the 64 Supplement that you can download for free.
Wow that would be a lot of printing:) Nice to know! I like to have my Tech data by my side in large readable format when I am working on the vehicle so I would buy manuals anyway. PDF's would be useful for occasional reference on my phone or computer I suppose...I guess I will have to see what they have listed there.

66corsaguy

Post by 66corsaguy »

This must be the hose Blair is referencing from his previous questions. looks like the mechanical pump is bypassed and a filter at the T? Image

Return to “Corvair Talk”