Rear suspension

All Models and Years
naderwaswrong

Rear suspension

Post by naderwaswrong »

I noticed that the 63 and 64 have different rear suspensions. Is the 64 with the transverse leaf spring an improvement over the 63? Is the leaf the only difference? Thanks.
terribleted

Re: Rear suspension

Post by terribleted »

It is an improvement decreasing body roll and lessening tendency for rollover during extreme maneuvers. The leaf spring is not the only difference. The rear lower suspension arms are drilled to accommodate the outer leaf spring mounts. The 64 only differential case is a different casting including a mounting boss for the center of the leaf spring.

OH additionally the coil springs are different.
Last edited by terribleted on Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:goodpost:

In addition to the above improvements, the coil spring rate was changed to match the new rear suspension design that incorporated the rear transverse leaf spring.

On the front end, the front stabilizer bar that was previously only seen on 1962-63 turbocharged Spyders and was a heavy duty suspension option on other Corvairs from those years became standard on all 1954 an later Corvairs.

Also in 1964, engine displacemnt was increased from 145 CI to 164 CI by increasing the crankshaft stoke. The stamped steel riveted crankshaft pulley was replaced by a cast iron pulley on 95 hp engines and by a harmonic balancer on all engines rated at 110 hp or higher. The heavy steel fan was replaced by a lightweight cast magnesium fan and associated belt guides to improve fan belt reliability.. The air cleaner design on most passenger cars was revised. The Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) system that was introduced in 1963 was revised n most passenger cars to utilize a fixed vacuum oriface intead of the PCV valve. .
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
naderwaswrong

Post by naderwaswrong »

Is this a 64 transaxle?
Attachments
20171008_144024.jpg
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

1964 Corvair Transverse Leaf Spring (Suspension component attaches to the differential in the center)
1964 Rear Suspension.jpg
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Yes that is a 64 differential. You need the 64 coil springs and all the parts for the transverse leaf setup to complete it.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

naderwaswrong

Post by naderwaswrong »

I've got the complete set-up minus the center bracket and some rubber parts which need replacing.
So I have a 63 with a 66 engine, a 64 transaxle and transmission, and a 60 front emblem.
Total FrankenVair. :woo:
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

I would not say Total Frankenvair. I have seen much more mixed up that that:) Besides you have a good combination of parts...better than 63 rear suspension and engine!

Trip

Post by Trip »

Put some 63 tail lights on, 63 tail lights are best tail lights! =D

Just to clarify, all I'm actually saying is I personally love the look of 63 tail light lenses. Oh, and the 63 glove box/radio/dash trim is my favorite pattern. I'd say 63 is just straight up my favorite EM interior.
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
65 Corsa 180 Turbocharged coupe
64 Monza Convertible
61 Air conditioned Monza coupe (Missy's)
See them here: https://tinyurl.com/ydc7txrf

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”