Carburetors for a 63 turbo

All Models and Years
63corvair

Carburetors for a 63 turbo

Post by 63corvair »

I have always had idle issues with this car. I was thinking of replacing carburetor with a weber... does anyone know which Weber model is best suited for this application?

Thanks,
Arne

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Nickshu

Re: Carburetors for a 63 turbo

Post by Nickshu »

I believe it's a Weber DCOE 40 or 45. I have never run one but have read there are issues with getting it properly jetted and cold start/choking is a problem with them. In my experience the YH works great when properly setup, maybe a deeper issue than just the carb going on.

I have also read you will want to run a wastegate with the Weber carb especially with a 45 b/c of the higher boost produced. The YH airflow volume was designed to control boost, with the Weber you will need somewhere for the extra air to go when you let off the gas.
Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - SOLD ON BRING A TRAILER 4/30/2019 - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Thanks to all the awesome CCF, CF, COG, and CORSA members who helped me with the restoration!
dave t

Post by dave t »

I had the same problem with my 63 turbo. I got Bob Helt's book on the YH and was able to figure out the gremlins and got it to run great. I highly recommend the book. It's available at most Corvair vendors.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Corvair Forum mobile app
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:goodpost: Also available on Amazon.com...

How to Identify and Rebuild Carter YH Carburetors Used on Corvair Turbocharged Engines Paperback – April 26, 2010
by Bob Helt (Author)

Paperback: $24.88

:link: https://www.amazon.com/Identify-Rebuild ... s=Bob+Helt
ImageImage
:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... w_page=251

Part number C3939: BOOK-CARBS BY BOB HELT

Weight: 1 lbs 0 oz
Catalog Pages(s): 251
Price: $ 28.35

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... w_page=252

Part number C12813: BOOK-HOW TO IDENTIFY & REBUILD CARTER YH CARBS

Weight: 1 lbs 0 oz
Catalog Pages(s): 252
Price: $ 30.25

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
nmunn

Post by nmunn »

I ordered that book for my 65, glad to hear it is useful.

miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

YH's suck, get a real carb, fuel pump and ignition and never look back.
Click it!
nmunn

Post by nmunn »

Well miniman82, if your going to throw it out there, tell me a better option for my 180? I’m open to improvement!

Gwrodzhi

Post by Gwrodzhi »

I had idle issues with mine however after tracking down and fixing vacuum leaks then getting the carb rebuilt it idles fine. Granted I set the idle a little higher than stock I probably idle between 1000 to 1050. I am sure there are better performing carbs out there but the yh did work. i would check to make sure there are no vacuum leaks first especially the gaskets between the carb and turbo.
nmunn

Post by nmunn »

I guess here’s my real question. Since buying this 65 180 I’m at a point of realizing what it is, and what it isn’t. So 10% more power, so what - does it matter? It’s a cool car for its time, but why mess with what GM created? Especially for marginal gains? I kinda like the Carter, it’s quirky, but it works. If we were talking about 100hp ok, then it’s a discussion. I just don’t see messing with stock, other than getting it working really well.

miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

Here's what stock turbo Corvair engines are and aren't:

They are a product of the timeframe they were designed in, and reflect the technology of the day.

They are not your moms Honduh, so don't expect to jump in and drive it 400 miles unless you're OCD as f*ck with your maintenance and don't mind some futzing along the way.

They are bare bones, they only have enough controls on them to make them run. Sort of. Here's the deal: the YH can only really be tuned accurately for 2 throttle settings. Take a look at the needle, you'll see right away what I'm talking about. So you get OK idle mixtures and boost fuel is decent, but everywhere else they either run pig rich or stark lean. If you don't mind wasting gas you can probably live with the first condition, but if you get it wrong and run it lean on boost you're probably looking at melted pistons. Result? You're always worried about burning it down, and you never explore what it's capable of really doing.

Then you have the inadequate ignition system to deal with, which is a whole other ball of wax, but suffice it to say that the distributor will not give you what you want if you're after something you don't have to constantly worry about.

They are not fond of hot weather, in my experience if it was much past 85 outside I couldn't get into boost at all without detonation. Water/alcohol injection solves this.

They LOVE cold weather on the other hand, I found that I could boost at every stop light when it's around 60 out which is fun but the tank runs out fast when you do that.

What you need to do is decide what you want the CAR to do. If all you want to do is cruse around and make boost maybe once in a while, it's probably fine how it is.

If on the other hand you're like me and want to be able to jump in the car and drive it any way you like and you're tired of being worried about a blow up, they can be made just as reliable as a modern car but it's not easy. A lot of parts need to be replaced and tuning needs to be done, but at the end it's utterly transformational. It's a completely different animal. It can't be explained or understood from the Internet, it has to be experienced in person to be appreciated.

This is getting long in the tooth, but here's what I had to do to be happy with how it operates.

YH sucks, it's the worst possible fuel metering unit for this engine. Literally any other carb would be a better choice, but here's the catch: it's also what limits boost in the stock system. Therefore if you change to something else, you probably need a wastegate to keep boost under control. I'm using a Weber, and will never go back. It's infinitely more adjustable, and better suited to the wide operating conditions this engine sees.

Stock ignition has far too much initial advance, not enough centrifugal advance, and the boost retard can is worthless at best, destructive at worst. Could probably use a stronger spark as well. I replaced it with a crank triggered computer mapped ignition that gives the engine exactly what it needs nearly 100% of the time, it now starts reliably in any circumstance, doesn't detonate anymore, and doesn't break starter noses on hot restarts anymore.

Stock fuel pump is worthless. It constantly left me stranded with vapor lock conditions, no matter what you choose to do get rid of it and put an electric pump under the tank and a regulator near the carb. Your scalp will thank you for not tearing out hair later on.

Another must have is a wideband oxygen sensor, so you know if it's running rich or lean and by how much. It's a great tuning aid and fantastic piece of mind, they are also pretty cheap these days so there's no reason not to have one.
Click it!
nmunn

Post by nmunn »

That’s some really good feedback. I’d like to do some of these mods if for nothing else the realizability factor. I’ll admit this car is a new animal for a guy that’s only owned v8 chevys. Thinking the ignition would be a great start. Can you share what system you used.

Trip Rodriguez

Post by Trip Rodriguez »

I too would be interested in all the details on your turbo car mods. I've got a 65 180hp that I'll be getting on the road eventually, I think I want to leave it stock but you never know.
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
65 Corsa 180 coupe
64 Monza Convertible
61 Air conditioned Monza coupe (Missy's car)

toytron

Post by toytron »

Miniman82, your input is valued. I know it is asking a lot but you should have a website to document some of the stuff you have done and some helps for us turbo people. I appreciate the CD I purchased from you but I think there are many hear that would benefit from your knowledge.

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
toms73novass

Post by toms73novass »

x2 :not worthy:
nmunn

Post by nmunn »

Miniman, I’d like to upgrade my ignition system first. Looking at the xr700 and 3000, but would like to hear what you used.

martyscarr

Post by martyscarr »

nmunn said:
Miniman, I’d like to upgrade my ignition system first. Looking at the xr700 and 3000, but would like to hear what you used.
From his post above:
I replaced it with a crank triggered computer mapped ignition
The xr700 or 3000 are points replacement devices and are not going to give you the capability of mapping your ignition, you will need something like a Megajolt to do that. Megajolt info is here: https://www.autosportlabs.com/product/megajolte/

You could also use a Megasquirt and run the ignition but not utilize the efi part of the Megasquirt. Info here: http://msefi.com/

HTH
Marty Scarr

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”