Lifters noise at start up

Anything Corvair related
TheCommish

Post by TheCommish »

Since I put Diesel 15w40 in my 63, my lifters are real noisy, can I add a lifter additive, or accept this as a "Corvair" thing where oil drains out.
lostboy

Re: Lifters noise at start up

Post by lostboy »

TheCommish wrote:Since I put Diesel 15w40 in my 63, my lifters are real noisy, can I add a lifter additive, or accept this as a "Corvair" thing where oil drains out.
Mine does it sporadically. Time it sits doesn't seem to matter. Temperature doesn't either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Steve
1961 Corvair 700 Sedan (80hp 3spd Gasoline Heat)
notched

Post by notched »

The correct weight oil is 10W30. Your oil is too think. Secondly many Corvairs will tap on initial start up if the lifters bleed down. What I typically do if mine sits for a long time is to crank the engine until the oil light goes out and then set the choke and fire it off. They never tap when doing this.
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

15w 40 would if anything be a little thick not thin. Spec is SAE 30 single weight.

How often is the car started? if it is making lifter noise on every start and is driven every day bad lifter adjustment or other valve train issues are likely. If they tap for a minute or 2 after the car has not been run for a few days or more this is more toward normal and may not need to be addressed at all. IF everything is adjusted correctly and not worn most cars will not tap on start unless they have been sitting for quite a while (perhaps a month or more). Some engines will not tap after sitting a very long time (think year or more) while others might tap a little after only a few days.

If they are noisy after the car is warm you have a problem you need to go fix.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
notched

Post by notched »

terribleted wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:14 am 15w 40 would if anything be a little thick not thin. Spec is SAE 30 single weight.

How often is the car started? if it is making lifter noise on every start and is driven every day bad lifter adjustment or other valve train issues are likely. If they tap for a minute or 2 after the car has not been run for a few days or more this is more toward normal and may not need to be addressed at all. IF everything is adjusted correctly and not worn most cars will not tap on start unless they have been sitting for quite a while (perhaps a month or more). Some engines will not tap after sitting a very long time (think year or more) while others might tap a little after only a few days.

If they are noisy after the car is warm you have a problem you need to go fix.
Actually Ted, correct weight as specified in the owners manual and with Richard Widman on FB and the other message board is 10W30.
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
notched

Post by notched »

Here is something from oil engineer Richard Widman
Attachments
oil-guide.jpg
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
TheCommish

Post by TheCommish »

Florida heat is 90f-95f
Need Zink in Oil thats why Diesel 15w40
notched

Post by notched »

Dave Motohead and I just talked about this. He lives out in the desert of California and runs 10W30 and it was just 112 there. Thick oil does more harm than good. Just saying.
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

TheCommish wrote:Florida heat is 90f-95f
Need Zink in Oil thats why Diesel 15w40
Rotella? I run T4 10w-30 and some Lucas oil additive at every oil change. I'll admit the startup noise did get significantly less with the Lucas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Steve
1961 Corvair 700 Sedan (80hp 3spd Gasoline Heat)
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Actually the early model shop manuals specify SAE 30 or SAE 10w-30 if you prefer a multi weight. The oil weight is not particularly relevant to lifter noise. If the lifters are adjusted properly and in good condition the weight of oil is not likely to make a significant difference in lifter function unless it is way out of the ballpark. The change of oil should not have made a big difference unless perhaps some high detergent cleaned out some sludge making things operate more loosely.

The issue at hand here is the lifter noise.

AGAIN!!!! How often is the car started? How long do they make noise? Do they make noise after the engine is warm?? If it is making lifter noise on every start and is driven every day bad lifter adjustment or other valve train issues are likely. If they tap for a minute or 2 after the car has not been run for a few days or more this is more toward normal and may not need to be addressed at all. IF everything is adjusted correctly and not worn most cars will not tap on start unless they have been sitting for quite a while (perhaps a month or more). Some engines will not tap after sitting a very long time (think year or more) while others might tap a little after only a few days.

If they are noisy after the car is warm you have a problem you need to go fix for sure. If there is significant lifter noise I would suggest performing a running lifter adjustment and see if the problem is solved. A very simple process requiring only a couple new valve cover gaskets and some time.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Gearfinger

Post by Gearfinger »

The car belongs to you. Run what oil you want and pay no attention to opinions.

As a general rule, you set idling at a stop light a lot in Florida. Not so much in the desert...
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Have a look at this video.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Watch this one too.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
66corsaguy

Post by 66corsaguy »

Ok
Last edited by 66corsaguy on Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
toytron

Post by toytron »

66corsaguy wrote:
Gearfinger wrote:The car belongs to you. Run what oil you want and pay no attention to opinions.

As a general rule, you set idling at a stop light a lot in Florida. Not so much in the desert...
If you are coming to a forum are you not asking for an opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
I could be wrong but I think gearfinger was just joking.

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
davette59

Post by davette59 »

Mine did the same thing, the longer it was between startups, the noisier and longer the noise lasted. I put Seafoam in and the noise quieted immediately.

Return to “Corvair Talk”