Alabama Corvair

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
Flexo

Alabama Corvair

Post by Flexo »

I've got an option to purchase a 1960 900 Monza that's (what I feel)is in pretty good shape
I've got the VIN, can anyone help me with valuation?
It's a barter that I can do for a job (im a plumber) that will cost me approx $750.00 out of pocket.

Please, any advice would be helpful.
VIN is 00927W272718

Thanks!
John
SteveH

Re: Alabama Corvair

Post by SteveH »

VIN helps, Body option tag is more useful for the details

RUST assessment is probably the single most determining factor in corvairs.

If it is running and driveable it is hard to go wrong under $1000
CORSA Member #034095
65 Corvair Corsa "Field Find" 140-4, 4 speed, Hardtop, Telescoping wheel. Rear Speaker
65 Corvair Corsa Automatic 140-4, Coupe
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:wave: :welcome2: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

It sounds like you're asking for advice and recommendations concerning the car that we know nothing about, except very basic information of the model year. I believe you have taken the right step by contacting the Corvair Forum, but it is essential that you provide as much information as possible, including photographs. Without more information we are essentially blind and cannot provide you with much in the way of useful guidance.

The 1960 Corvair was the very first model year. In some ways I feel that it was almost a prototype that was not quite ready for release. There were a great number of changes made between the 1960 and 1961 model year. Because of that many of the components used in the 1960 engine are not interchangeable with any other model year. The carburetors, choke system, distributor, starter, engine displacement (140 CID), etc. were all unique to 1960 only. Engineering and design changes continued to be made in 1961, and things began to settle down somewhat in 1962.

Because of parts interchangeability issues, restoration and repair of a 1960 Corvair can be somewhat more challenging than with other model years. If the car is not running at the present time, the probability of your acquiring a "money pit" is pretty high. Your ability to assess the condition of the car is also pretty limited, if you have no prior experience in working on Corvairs. I would recommend moving with caution, and don't allow your curiosity and enthusiasm to override common sense.

I would normally recommend attempting to contact a local club chapter of CORSA (Corvair Society of America), if there is one that is physically close to your location. Since you did not provide your specific location in Alabama it is hard to make useful suggestions. There is one club chapter listed in your state, and I have provided some contact information below. There are also CORSA chapters in Georgia, Florida, and Tennessee, but a lot depends on where you are located. If there is a club chapter nearby you might be able to contact the club, discuss your interest in Corvairs with other members, see some of their Corvairs, and perhaps even gain some assistance in evaluating the 1960 Corvair you are considering. If there are no Corvair club chapters near your location, you would have to rely on recommendations from Corvair Forum members via the Internet.

If you want meaningful recommendations from the Corvair Forum, I strongly recommend you provide us with more details of the car you are considering. Detailed photographs of the body, interior, engine compartment, etc. are essential. A description of its current condition, whether or not it is running and drivable, etc. are also essential. A description of your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, your prior experience with working on automobiles and with automobile restoration, and a description of your access to a place to work on the car, tools, etc. would also be helpful, as well as a specific description of your location. Knowing your location can often suggest possibilities if you are to take on Corvair ownership.

True bargains in purchasing a Corvair at a bargain basement price are very rare. You may pay a small amount in the beginning, but the total cost of ownership and restoration can be very high, and sometimes the obstacles can be insurmountable if the car is in poor condition. It is possible to purchase a running Corvair that would serve you well as a daily driver and personal hobby, but the cost would be at least several thousand dollars. Professional help from a body shop can be very expensive, and qualified Corvair mechanics are hard to find. If you have mechanical experience but lack sheet-metal and bodywork expertise, purchasing a solid example that requires some mechanical work might be a reasonable project. But if you're not prepared to work as a DIY "shade tree mechanic", obtaining a questionable Corvair without prior experience in working with or evaluating Corvairs can easily put you on a road to failure.

The VIN only tells us that it is a 1960 Corvair Monza 900 Coupe that was produced at the Willow Run, Michigan plant. The carburetors, external choke system, and air cleaner design were unique to the 1960 model year only. Since one carburetor is missing, I would guess that the car has been sitting and not running for a long time. The condition and contents of the fuel tank is highly questionable, and no attempt should be made to start the car without a thorough examination and replacement of all fluids.

00927W272718 11,926 Corvair Monza coupes were manufactured in the 1960 model year. A total of 250,007 Corvairs were produced in 1960... the majority in that year were model 700 4-door sedans.

Again, proceed with caution. Contact an CORSA club chapter, if one is available. If you wish to pursue obtaining this 1960 Corvair and you want meaningful advice from the Corvair Forum, post some photographs and tell us all you can about yourself and the car.

:link: http://www.corvair.org/chapters/chapter352/

VULCAN CORVAIR ENTHUSIASTS
BIRMINGHAM, ALABAMA
CORSA Chapter 352
147 Crossbrook Dr. Chelsea, AL 35043

The club was formed as Chapter #352 of the Corvair Society of America in1974. Membership is open to everyone.
For information contact Billy Cannon gtochief@gmail.com

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: http://www.corvairforum.com/forum/viewt ... 225&t=6007

:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Keep in mind the 60 Corvair was unique in many ways. In 61 the engine, transmission, heating system, front sheet metal, carburetor/chokes - all were revised. Corvair folks use the nickname "Cave Man" for the 60 Corvairs as they were the first. That said many folks like the 60 just because it was the first and is different.
Flexo

Post by Flexo »

I've acquired the 1960 Corvair 900 Monza in question. I'll post pictures.
the feedback above is more than welcome, and I'm thrilled at the detail and depth of your input.
the car is very straight. light rust/primer spots on the body. no dents on the body. one dent front right bumper
I've learned that the car was involved in a pedestrian fatality accident in Dora, Alabama in 1964. yikes. wondering about that dent in the bumper

i'm near birmingham, and will be contacting the Chelsea group posted above.

Thanks!
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

66vairguy wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:37 pm Keep in mind the 60 Corvair was unique in many ways. In 61 the engine, transmission, heating system, front sheet metal, carburetor/chokes - all were revised. Corvair folks use the nickname "Cave Man" for the 60 Corvairs as they were the first. That said many folks like the 60 just because it was the first and is different.
HMMMMM, I always thought it was called Cave Man because of the front panel between the headlights was concave. :doh:
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

64powerglide wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:19 am
66vairguy wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:37 pm Keep in mind the 60 Corvair was unique in many ways. In 61 the engine, transmission, heating system, front sheet metal, carburetor/chokes - all were revised. Corvair folks use the nickname "Cave Man" for the 60 Corvairs as they were the first. That said many folks like the 60 just because it was the first and is different.
HMMMMM, I always thought it was called Cave Man because of the front panel between the headlights was concave. :doh:
Well that's another explanation. That front panel was revised in 1961, along with moving the spare tire to the engine compartment, so Chevy could claim greater luggage space. The engine also grew a few cubic inches just so the Corvair would have a "bigger" engine than the Falcon, by a whooping 1 cubic inch! Back then brand loyalty was important and Chevy and Ford fought a tough sales campaign to get first time buyers into the Corvair or Falcon. The Ford attack on the Corvair gasoline heater and suggested poor Winter gas mileage resulted in the change to the hot air heater in 61, with the gasoline heater as an option. Eventually the Chevy II was rushed into production to fight the Falcon and the Corvair took on the role of sporty personal car which prompted Ford to bring out the Mustang. Interesting times.
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Well GM didn't need the Chevy II to compete with the Falcon, I had a new 62 Monza 4 speed & raced a lot of Falcons & never lost to one. ::-):
I guess by 64 GM needed the Chevy II. Even the 64 with the 260 V8 were only turning the 1/4 mile 1 second faster than a 102 Hp Corvair. Don't know what the 110 HP Corvair's were turning. It sure was fun street racing in the early 60's. :tu:
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Competition was about SALES not how fast a car went. The Falcon outsold the Corvair by a wide margin in 1960 and 1961.

In 62 the Chevy II arrived and Corvair sales were a few thousand more than the Chevy II, in 63 Corvair sales were about 50,000 less than the Chevy II, in 64 BOTH Corvair and Chevy II sales DROPPED about 30% from 63. The Falcon sales also dropped about 30%. When the Mustang came out compact sales dropped so much that they were moved to bigger platforms and eventually phased out. No demand. Of course the small Japanese cars took over the compact market in the early 70's and GM and Ford were forced back in after the first oil embargo and gasoline shortage - and we got the Vega and Pinto.

It should be noted that together the Chevy II and Corvair out sold the Falcon by about a 20% margin in 63, 62, 64.

Note that the Corvair convertible sales far exceeded the Chevy II convertible which was canceled.
Danny Joe

Post by Danny Joe »

Welcome! The next meeting of the Vulcan Corvair Enthusiasts is at 7:00 pm next Friday, July 21 at 2575 Columbiana Dr, Birmingham, Al. Hope to see you there!
'64 Spyder Convertible
'63 Rampside (to be Rotisseried)
Toney, Alabama (just outside Huntsville)
Flexo

Post by Flexo »

update!
Pictures are below. (i hope I can figure out how to post pics)
Ive started cleaning, as best as I can. I've learned a ton, and have 45 tons more to learn.
Original paint color will be re-painted at some point.
i've got NOS Dist rebuild parts (complete), New plugs, New wires, New coil and resistor(?), new fuel pump, new flexible brake lines(4), new tires, new battery, 1 rebuilt Carb, NOS driver's side mirror, new belt.

Any and all advice is welcome, and I'm beginning to think that I can get this thing running! My brother is flying down from Michigan later this summer to help me with Electrical issues (he's better than me, having restored several Mustangs, and a Studebaker). I'm confident about my ability to bleed the brakes, and replace the parts listed above. Some questions:
which direction should the motor turn, as viewed from the rear?
Should i torque down the heads before attempting a start? (i've heard that the gaskets can "go flat" over time in storage, and this is required0
I'm planning on capping the gas supply to the heater. advice?

Please comment freely, I'm open to all constructive advice...

Here are some pictures: (next post)
Last edited by Flexo on Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flexo

Post by Flexo »

well, apparently i need help posting images.....any help is greatly appreciated. I've got several stored on my PC.

John
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Here is some material on posting pictures on the Corvair Forum. Please let me know if you have any questions...

:whoa: Photographs can be hosted on other public websites, and then shared here using the photograph image URL. Facebook is another URL source option. Alternately, individual photographs can be uploaded directly to the Corvair Forum from a computer hard drive, thumb drive, etc.

If you are not familiar with posting pictures on the Corvair Forum, here are some guidelines. I wrote these instructions a while ago to try to help new members of the Corvair Forum with posting pictures. There are two methods. Hopefully these guidelines will help you...

To be able to post pictures, always use POST REPLY — not QUICK REPLY — to open the full-featured editor.

There are basically two ways to post a digital photograph on the Corvair Forum. The first, illustrated below, involves inserting an image URL address between two Img markers. The URL image address is copied from an existing picture on the Internet. The source image can be another picture already on display within the Corvair Forum, or it can be just about any picture, artwork, or graphic image that is publicly viewable by anyone on the Internet. You simply need to copy the source image URL temporarily to the computer "clipboard", and the paste that URL address within the text you are writing on the Corvair Forum (between the two Img markers). Once you have posted your text, the Corvair Forum software will simply grab the image from the source URL and will display it embedded within your text (at the location where you embedded the Img markers and source URL).

For example, I am embedding the First Place Image and Avatar Image images to the left of this post within the text here by copying their URL addresses between two Img markers.

Here is what the above text looks like unsaved...
For example, I am embedding the First Place [img ]images/ranks/COTBLACKPLATE.png[/img] and Avatar
[img ]download/file.php?avatar=2689_1344285003.jpg[/img] images to the left of this post within the text here by copying their URL addresses between two Img markers.
Maybe this illustration will help...

You can manually copy images and pictures from other Corvair Forum posts that were embedded as uploads by right-clicking each image in the source with your right mouse button and selecting Copy image URL from the menu choices. Doing so will invisibly copy the image URL address to the computer temporary data buffer called a clipboard. Using the Img button at the top of the editor screen, and the standard PC copy and paste technique will allow you to paste that URL address data from the clipboard into your Corvair Forum text (surrounded by bracketed img markers), which will display as the original picture or image when the post has been saved for display. It illustration below depicts the process.

Click on image to enlarge for better viewing...
Corvair Forum Image Transfer.jpg
NOTE: This same technique will allow you to copy just about any graphic, photo, or other displayed image from any public website, Facebook, or other website that is not secured and is publically viewable by right-clicking the desired image, obtaining the image URL, and then pasting the URL with Img markers into your Corvair Forum text.

=========================================================================

The other method of embedding pictures involves uploading the images that you have physically stored on your computer. Simply scroll down in the editor where you will see Options and Attachments tabs. Click on the Attachments tab and then click on the Add files button. You can use the file manager to then navigate to desired photos on your local drives. You can select one file at a time to upload, or you can select multiple files in the same folder by holding down the Ctrl button on your keyboard while clicking on desired files with your mouse. When the file or files have been selected, click Open at the bottom of the file manager window to upload the file(s) to the Corvair Forum. When the uploaded file(s) are listed, you can use the Place inline buttons to embed the photo(s) in the desired locations by positioning your cursor first and then clicking on the Place inline button(s)

The embedded photos will become visible when you click on Preview or Submit. The pictures you upload will not be visible as photographs until you click on Preview or Submit.

=========================================================================

There is also an online help section on the Corvair Forum. See...

How to post a picture (and start a new topic)

CorvairForum Site Topics ‹ Site Specific Topics ‹ Site Features and How to Use Them ‹ How to post a picture (and start a new topic)

:link: viewtopic.php?f=196&t=618
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Flexo

Post by Flexo »

lets try this picture thing!
not sure why the dashboard pictures are upside-down.
sorry
Attachments
hard to read, perhaps i'll post a rubbing if someone wants me to.
hard to read, perhaps i'll post a rubbing if someone wants me to.
corv dash 2.JPG
no idea how many times the odo has been flipped
no idea how many times the odo has been flipped
before "cleaning"
before "cleaning"
after "cleaning"
after "cleaning"
corv ext 1.JPG
corv ext 2.JPG
corv ext 3.JPG
corv ext 4.JPG
corv ext 5.JPG
corv ext 6.JPG
corv ext 7.JPG
corv ext 8.JPG
corv on trailer.JPG
toytron

Post by toytron »

Flexo, in like the automatic belt tensioner!

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
Flexo

Post by Flexo »

UPDATE:

I've completed the following:
Replaced:
Fuel pump (with appropriate pump rod)
Distributor (points, condenser, cap)
One (of 2 ) carbs
Fuel filter
Plug wires *
Ignition coil *
Tires
Belt
Battery
Oil filter
Both valve cover gaskets

* I have questions about these:
1. plug wires. The set of new ones I received were too short for the drivers side plugs. I think I can make it work if I route its wires in front of the motor, under the belt, behind the fuel pump. Is that ok? (Originally, those three went behind and around the motor)

2. Ignition coil
The replacement that I got included a 1.6 ohm resistor. I completely understand the need for this. However, my '60 doesn't have a resistor in the engine compartment. Is there a resistor somewhere else, i.e. Dashboard?

I had to replace one pushrod, and pushrod drain tube. No problems so far (that means oil isn't leaking). (I noticed there was a missing pushrod and tube, while changing oil. It was on cyl #2, closest to drivers rear. Makes me think someone needed parts)

Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app

Return to “Introductions”