Rear wheel camber

All Models and Years
thewolfe
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Rear wheel camber

Post by thewolfe »

The Clark's replacements are grade 5. I didn't like how they looked when I bought a set for my front end so ended up buying a good used pair elsewhere. If they were grade 8 with the bolt machined I may have used them but grade 5? Not in my suspension. Especially since the threads are partially machined off.
Nate Wolfe
65 Corsa 180
61 Lakewood 140
my65

Post by my65 »

I believe the bolt is an original one. If I can not get a factory bolt from another club member, is it best to reweld the old excentric on a new grade 8 bolt or buy the slotted bolt from Clark?
After I rebuilt the rear wheel bearings, I snugged the lug nuts up, lowered the car, torqued the left one........got side tracked and never did the right one! They worked loose and bang.....another project ( replace all the wheel studs and rebalance the wheels :redface:
Ed ( my65 )
65 Monza Convertible
110 HP 4 Speed
63 Monza Coupe
140 HP 4 Speed
66 Corsa Coupe
140hp 4 speed
Porter, Texas
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

thewolfe wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:44 pm The Clark's replacements are grade 5. I didn't like how they looked when I bought a set for my front end so ended up buying a good used pair elsewhere. If they were grade 8 with the bolt machined I may have used them but grade 5? Not in my suspension. Especially since the threads are partially machined off.
Clark's catalog states their camber bolts, lock washers, and nuts are Grade 8.

The original stock bolts threads are also partially machined so you can get the outer eccentric on. At least for the LM cars.
thewolfe
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by thewolfe »

I don't care what they say they are. What I received were grade 5 with 3 marks on the heads of the bolts and silver zinc plated nuts and bolts. Grade 8 have 6 marks and are usually yellow zinc. Their picture shows yellow bolts. Maybe they have changed suppliers within the last few years...
Nate Wolfe
65 Corsa 180
61 Lakewood 140
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

That's odd - the one's I got were Grade 8.

I would want the correct part or a refund. So what did Clark's say when you contacted them?
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Here are the Clark's Corvair Parts pages and photos that are a part of this discussion. You should contact Clark's directly to discuss your concerns. Let us know what their response is.

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... N&page=163

Part number C638A: 65-69 OUTER R STRUT ADJ BOLT-COMPLETE ADJ BOLT, LOCKING NUT & 2 SPECIAL WASHERS

Weight: 0 lbs 8 oz
Catalog Pages(s): 163(9),179B
Price: $ 32.70

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... _page=179B
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
my65

Post by my65 »

I called Clark and asked how many marks are on the head of their bolt, and she said six!!

I still decided to go with the original style and ordered one from California Corvair. Today it showed up and when I put a wrench on the one still in the car, there was a lot of camber movement on the brake drum. I feel confident that the original 1 1/2" difference between the top and bottom of the tire can be corrected, and that is/was my problem!

My question is: after I install the replacement bolt and torque it to 85 ft. Lbs., do I need to put the car back on the ground, have the car roll around before the camber can be checked ? Then if it is not the same as the right wheel, jack the car up to mark an adjustment??
Ed ( my65 )
65 Monza Convertible
110 HP 4 Speed
63 Monza Coupe
140 HP 4 Speed
66 Corsa Coupe
140hp 4 speed
Porter, Texas
Wagon Master

Post by Wagon Master »

Yes
my65

Post by my65 »

I got my replacement bolt, installed it and torqued to 85. Took the car for a ride around the block, checked camber and it only took three attempts to get both rear wheels with 3/8" lean. :tu: I did make sure the bottom of the square was level
( to compensate for any unlevelness of the floor ) and the upright leg plum before I took my measurements?
Thanks to all for your help!!! :ty:
Now that the 65 is back on the road.....time to go back to the 63 :eek:
Ed ( my65 )
65 Monza Convertible
110 HP 4 Speed
63 Monza Coupe
140 HP 4 Speed
66 Corsa Coupe
140hp 4 speed
Porter, Texas

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”