how to install roof rail stainless trim

All Models and Years
Chas365

how to install roof rail stainless trim

Post by Chas365 »

I'm about to try to "snap" my stainless drip rail trim on my 1965 Monza coupe. This is the three piece short, long, and very short piece to bridge the short and long trip.
I have heard about using dishwashing soap as a lubricant and also to try a rubber mallet. The car was repainted with primer, sealer, color and clear coats but was allegedly stripped first.
I notice that the section of the rail by the windshield seems thicker so that appears to perhaps be more difficult to do .
Looking for tips to avoid damaging the trim that I have.
Charlie
corvairsince70

Re: how to install roof rail stainless trim

Post by corvairsince70 »

Done this many times. Just hang the long piece over the top of the rail and bump it with the palm of your hand. It will snap on. Do the same with the short piece, then the connecting piece. Using any kind of tool risks denting the trim. Your hand should be enough.
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Chas365 wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:46 pm I'm about to try to "snap" my stainless drip rail trim on my 1965 Monza coupe. This is the three piece short, long, and very short piece to bridge the short and long trip.
I have heard about using dishwashing soap as a lubricant and also to try a rubber mallet. The car was repainted with primer, sealer, color and clear coats but was allegedly stripped first.
I notice that the section of the rail by the windshield seems thicker so that appears to perhaps be more difficult to do .
Looking for tips to avoid damaging the trim that I have.
Charlie
DO NOT use dishwashing soap as it will leave a residue that can cause corrosion - I know from experience. If the car has been repainted the paint may be thicker than the original factory paint. You can use ol WD-40 as it will evaporate and the only residue is a light oil and wax. As already stated using you hand and some caution is the best way to install the trim
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

I like the above but sometimes you can dent the trim with your hand. It depends how nicely or not nicely the trim is snapping down over the rail. If the trim does not want to nicely snap down I use a piece of wood and position it at a 45 degree angle against the lower bend in the trim and tap lightly with a hammer. You will not damage the trim as long as you keep your wood flat against the LOWER EDGE of the trim. Do not tap anything Including your hand against the flat face of the trim. When you bump with the palm of you hand do it so that you are bumping against the lower edge of the trim not the face.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

terribleted wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:48 am I like the above but sometimes you can dent the trim with your hand. It depends how nicely or not nicely the trim is snapping down over the rail. If the trim does not want to nicely snap down I use a piece of wood and position it at a 45 degree angle against the lower bend in the trim and tap lightly with a hammer. You will not damage the trim as long as you keep your wood flat against the LOWER EDGE of the trim. Do not tap anything Including your hand against the flat face of the trim. When you bump with the palm of you hand do it so that you are bumping against the lower edge of the trim not the face.
Good points - the lower folded edge is the strongest part. The trim should snap on fairly easy - if not, then the paint is too thick and you risk chipping/scrapping the paint off the rail. I use a thin base/clearcoat only on the drip rail and install the trim. I mask off the tirm to paint the body separately to apply the appropriate base/clear coats for good color and finish. Just me.
Chas365

Post by Chas365 »

Thanks for the suggestions. My plan is to try the WD40 and the block of wood with mallet and hands as required. I'm also going to do a good cleaning job on the underside of the trim pieces to remove crud. If that doesn't work I'll try gently sanding the top of the roof rail to remove some paint without going all the way to the primer and try again. I have some extra pieces to experiment with.
I'll let you know how it turns out.
Charlie
Chas365

Post by Chas365 »

The trim went on with no drama.
When I cleaned the inside of the trim I removed quite a bit of a black putty which had prevented me from getting the trim to set down on the lip of the drip rail and the WD-40 helped quite a bit compared to my first attempt to do this last week.
Mostly snapped on with thumb pressure and my wife"s help holding the trim down, there were a couple of places where a very gentle tap with a mallet was required.
Thanks to all for the input.
Charlie
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Glad it all went well.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”