Coolair

Re: Ottos valve covers

Post by Coolair »

1499535850255.jpg
Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Corvair Forum mobile app

skipvair

Post by skipvair »

I just put some cork gaskets on the covers with permatex 2 on the cover only and used boots from Clarks with built-in washers and have had no problems. I first bought some rubber ones from Clarks that they said were their best, and they were very thin and leaked. Got cork from oreilleys.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Frank Metasavage

65 Corsa 140 4 speed with Weber IDAs
66 Corsa 140 4 speed Stock
Coolair

Post by Coolair »

Thanks for the feed back going to see if I can source those bolts at the hardware store shipping to canada is getting crazy

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Corvair Forum mobile app

joust1

Post by joust1 »

If you like, I will take them and for sure they won't leak on you.
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

joust1 wrote:If you like, I will take them and for sure they won't leak on you.
lol I was thinking the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Steve
1961 Corvair 700 Sedan (80hp 3spd Gasoline Heat)
caraholic4life

Post by caraholic4life »

Keep in mind that I have NOT actually had to deal with this for many years but, back in "the day".....

I would apply a very light amount of "Form A Gasket" to the Valve Cover surface only. I would only apply enough to keep the gasket intact. I would install the gasket and allow it to set for a few minutes before installing it on the car. Sometimes I installed the rubber gasket, sometimes the cork depending on what the customer wanted. I prefer the cork but have had no issue with the rubber.

I would wipe the mating surface on the heads to be sure they were clean and dry. Again, I would NOT put anything on the head surface.

When installing the Valve Covers, I would snug the bolts up with a 7/16" socket and short extension using only my fingers.

Once the Valve Cover was in place, I would use a ratchet to further tighten the bolts while watching the gasket closely.

As soon as I saw the gasket begin to move (Squish or Flatten out) I would stop and go to the next one until they were all completed.

Many folks have a tendency to over tighten the bolts to begin with and I suspect this is why the Valve Covers leak.

The reason I do not use anything on the heads is because the Gasket is supposed to do the sealing. The adhesive is simply used to hold it in place during installation. My logic for using adhesive only on the Valve Cover is that when the gaskets need replaced, I only need to scrape the Valve Cover, not the head.

I can take the Valve Cover to the work bench and work on cleaning the surface more comfortably than trying to scrape the head while lying on my side on the floor under the car. The other advantage is that I am less likely to damage the surface of the head because there won't be much effort needed to clean it and the Valve Cover surface is less likely to get damaged. If it does get damaged, it is easier to replace if needed.

This has always worked for me. :my02:
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner
skipvair

Post by skipvair »

Same here. Just get flat washers for the bolts. Same as built in

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Frank Metasavage

65 Corsa 140 4 speed with Weber IDAs
66 Corsa 140 4 speed Stock
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

These valve covers will not leak, even with recommended paper gasket, IF, the sealing surface of the cover and the head are totally true and not nicked of damaged. Many of our heads are a bit warped here and there or have nicks etc., a cork and rubber composition gasket will often seal with out without sealants.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:think: :idea: I was thinking that the stock sheet-metal valve covers have cutouts at the top and bottom and sides to accept the rubber tabs on the gaskets seen in the pictures below. This helps you to position the gasket on the steel valve cover in a way that it is held in place while you position the combination valve cover and gasket and then screw the bolts into the head. The aluminum valve covers may provide a more rigid and flat mating surface to press evenly against the gasket, but there is nothing to physically hold the gasket in place when trying to sandwich it between the head and the valve cover. This may cause the gasket position to be compromised during installation, and may make it difficult to get a good seal.

Using threaded studs in the heads in place of the standard bolts may help. Appropriate studs and nuts are offered by at least one Corvair vendor, as seen below. The studs will serve as guide pins to help position the valve cover gasket properly before sliding the valve cover into place. The studs will also help to pull everything into alignment while the nut fasteners are snugged down to secure the valve cover and gasket.

While stainless steel studs with a continuous thread can be used, the special studs offered by Rafee may be more appropriate for this job.

ImageImage

1960-69 valve cover stud kit, heavy duty, HP: ideal for those who want to run aluminum valve covers, it helps to keep in place; orfor stock ones as well; this kit is enough for the 2 heads, you will get the studs and the special lug nuts. Don't hesitate to call Rafee at 918-413-1548 with any questions you might have. Note: we do sell thick cork valve cover gaskets, some of the bests on the market, made in the USA, ideal for warped head rails, & suitable for all jobs.
:link: http://www.corvair1.com/fasteners/1960- ... used-rfa91

:link: http://www.american-pi.com/corvair/corvhome.html

SC performance deep aluminum valve covers have a lip to retain the gasket.
Extra Deep Aluminum Valve Covers. The extra deep aluminum valve covers are specifically designed to provide clearance for all roller rockers, high lift cams and all stud girdles. These high quality custom cast valve covers are fully made in Southern California and are black anodized to mil specs. The larger surface area of these extra deep valve covers and the black anodizing will be an aid to engine cooling and this greatly helps all performance engines. The tough surface treatment of the mil spec anodizing will not scratch or flake off like other paints or coatings.
$235 per pair. [also available in custom finishes such as show polish, please inquire]
Aluminum Valve Covers
:link: http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.ph ... 604,808626
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”