65 Monza 110 PG Vert in Blighty

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
terribleted

Re: 65 Monza 110 PG Vert in Blighty

Post by terribleted »

Look closely at the condition of the metal front brake lines which run above the fuel tank. They sometimes get rusty. If these metal lines have bad fittings at the wheel cylinders (chewed up by pliers) or are significantly rusty, replacement is a breeze when the tank is out already. Not much else up there behind the tank.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

This may be helpful...

Fuel Tank Removal & Installation
:link: http://www.corvairforum.com/forum/viewt ... 225&t=5779
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
CorvairCon65

Post by CorvairCon65 »

Thanks both! Think I'll order the bushing kit for the stabilizer and that brake line just in case. Hoping Clarke's may know which O/D pipes I have from my vin plate...
CorvairCon65

Post by CorvairCon65 »

Well, it's been almost two years since my Vair was last on the road.

So...I had the lads round this weekend to crack on with it.

It previously had a new fuel tank which albeit wasn't the problem it was needed due to rust etc and the main hose which, once removed, seemed perilously close to snapping in half. So a stitch in time with that one...

We'd previously fitted new Wolf Enterprises carbs however had broken one of the metal fuel lines - intentionally, with a hack saw, to be able to remove one of the old carbs.

This weekend we renewed the metal fuel lines from the pump to each carb.

On the electrical side we have renewed distributor points and rotor arm, condenser (the one inside the dizzy, not the radio suppressor on the coil), the coil, the spark plugs (NKG BP6R iirc), dizzy cap and had previously replaced the leads.

She turns over fine but no cigar. We've checked the spark at the dizzy and that's all good and the gap set up. We've checked the fuel is coming through good and strong. Again, no cigar. We've tried all sorts including pouring gas straight down the carb throats which resulted in a cough but no start up.

What's got us puzzled though is that on checking the plugs, they are dry. How can this be? There is enough gas flowing through the pump that if it couldn't make its way into the combustion chamber then it would be flooding out of the carb, but it's not.

We previously did a pressure check but that turned out equal across the cylinders. To recap, when she broke down, I felt surges like I was being pulled back, then a misfire on the right bank before the engine cut. The only visible indicator was the vacuum on the right carb had blown apart.

Appreciate the fuel pump appears to have a bit of forces to it but do the carbs also rely on vacuum to pull fuel through? Am clutching at straws but we don't know what to check next.

Any ideas before the lads next come visit to help out would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

The mechanical fuel pump creates a vacuum in the line between the tank and the pump to draw fuel to the pump. A cracked hose or vacuum leak at any point in the fuel line between the tank outlet and the pump inlet will prevent fuel from being pulled to the pump inlet. The pump then pressurizes the line to each carburetor.

Recommend checking both output pressure and volume, using the procedure in the shop manual.
Fuel Feed Line.jpg
Fuel Lines.jpg

With the air cleaner assembly removed, when holding the choke open and peering down the throat of each carburetor, do you see a squirt of fuel from the accelerator pump in each carburetor when you open the throttle rapidly? If the jet of fuel is not observed, the float bowls may be dry, possibly due to stuck needle and seat assemblies blocking the fuel inlet.

You may want to run a compression check again at each cylinder. One or more valves could be stuck open, or the valve adjustment might be too tight, preventing the valves from closing completely.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
CorvairCon65

Post by CorvairCon65 »

Thanks Brad, things to check there.

We did think of an air block but we’d suck the fuel through the pipes to the carbs (lovely...) so know we had no air block. Think we’ll have to check flow rate then. Fuel being squirted into the carbs was also observed. I do have another replacement fuel pump but I’ve read on here all to ofte not to be too hasty to blame the pump. I’ll have another look at the rubber fuel lines too and check for leaks.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

If everything else is right the engine should start and run momentarily if a teaspoon or so of gas is dumped down each carb throat. Are you sure there is spark at the plugs? You said it coughed so there is likely at least some spark, but does not hurt to double check. If you can observe squirts of fuel in the carb throats when you actuate the throttle then fuel delivery is likely ok. If you have fuel and spark you would expect it would at least spit and pop. If the ignition timing is way off it might not start. When the timing is way off the engine tends to crank over unevenly with the starter. I would recheck everything in the ignition as well verify #1 cylinder firing when at top dead center and plug wire order clockwise around cap 145236.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
CorvairCon65

Post by CorvairCon65 »

Ok, finally bit the bullet and paid a mechanic friend to diagnose the fault. Turns out valve train failure, with a rocker cover removed we could turn the engine over but there was no valve movement so I guess I’m looking at a broken cam and/or gear.

Next job to remove the oil pan and have a further look. This will become a case of pulling the engine and breaking the crankcase which will take time and sadly be put in the queue with other things I need to do in life first...I have a car to sell and a car in my garage to repair which can then be parked on the drive allowing me to use the garage as a nice sterile environment for an engine rebuild. Hey ho.
The moment just before my mechanic mate broke the news...”Yeah mate, it’s shagged...”
The moment just before my mechanic mate broke the news...”Yeah mate, it’s shagged...”
Drive way bit full, need this yellow one sold...
Drive way bit full, need this yellow one sold...
Once this one is out, I have a garage for Corvair engine rebuilding...
Once this one is out, I have a garage for Corvair engine rebuilding...
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

New movie title: "The Corvair that shagged me"

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”