63 Project in Las Vegas

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
BowTieJohn

63 Project in Las Vegas

Post by BowTieJohn »

Hi all from Las Vegas NV,
A friend approached me to rebuild/restore his father’s 63 Corvair. His dad bought it new and maintained it pretty well over the years but it’s been sitting in a barn for some time and he wants to give it to his daughter.
That being said, he wants it to be her daily driver and wants it to be sound from front to rear.
I explained to him that while I was a dealership wrench in the day and still work on personal projects for family, all I know about Corvair’s is how to spell the name. No matter… I now have a yearlong project to keep me busy. Needless to say I will be on this forum asking what may seem like stupid questions to some but if you don’t know the answer they aren’t stupid.
I’ve used some other forums over the years for various projects and found some great help from great guys. So any help I can get with this project I will very grateful for.
"Last weak I cudn't evon spell macanic..now I are one"
John S.
Las Vegas NV
SteveH

Re: 63 Project in Las Vegas

Post by SteveH »

Welcome! Pictures or it isn't real...haha We love to help
CORSA Member #034095
65 Corvair Corsa "Field Find" 140-4, 4 speed, Hardtop, Telescoping wheel. Rear Speaker
65 Corvair Corsa Automatic 140-4, Coupe
Danny Joe

Post by Danny Joe »

Do not try to start it with the old gas, it is known to cause the valves to stick, bending pushrods and pushrod tubes! Someone on here (Brad Bodie probably!) has a list of how to awaken a sleeping Corvair and common items that will need attention.
'64 Spyder Convertible
'63 Rampside (to be Rotisseried)
Toney, Alabama (just outside Huntsville)
BowTieJohn

Post by BowTieJohn »

SteveH wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 3:18 pm Welcome! Pictures or it isn't real...haha We love to help
I wont have the car for about a month. Need to finish a 94 Z28 LT1 motor first. : )
John S.
Las Vegas NV
BowTieJohn

Post by BowTieJohn »

Danny Joe wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 9:01 pm Do not try to start it with the old gas, it is known to cause the valves to stick, bending pushrods and pushrod tubes! Someone on here (Brad Bodie probably!) has a list of how to awaken a sleeping Corvair and common items that will need attention.
No. Not even going to try starting it. It's been sitting too long and there is no reverse so the trans needs work. The project is going to be a (back to stock) restore and I have a fair budget to work with.
Question...how interchangeable are the motors? This is an untouched 63. Will later model drive train parts fit it like cylinders, heads, transmissions and the like?
Obviously I don't want to buy something that won't fit or work with the existing components.
John S.
Las Vegas NV

Return to “Introductions”