San Francisco Corsa owner finally introducing

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
66corsaguy

San Francisco Corsa owner finally introducing

Post by 66corsaguy »

IMG_0551.JPG
I've owned this 1966 for about 2 years. It was a gift to myself after my wife of 5 years ran off to Los Angeles to find herself. And luckily she did cos I started enjoying my life more -following thru with hobbies. (And I met another fine woman anyway who has already found herself and loves my having hobbies)

The car was mostly restored. I would say 90% completed between exterior and engine etc Minor things left like headliner trim and sun visor fabric replacing.

What I want to do: basics tune up, timing, compression etc than hook up the 4 carbs cos only 2 are running now (my first real tech questions will be regarding this) speedo and tach not moving although speedo did when I first received, hook up and see if radio works and add speakers, add dual master cylinder. I would like rims vs the current hubs they tend to rust so fast. I have some oil leaks so will be replacing gaskets. Leaking from transaxle area and need to figure out if this is just a gasket issue? I will be doing mechanical problem solving first and save aesthetics's for later
When I first bought it I brought to SF Corvair mechanic and had him do a sweep to make sure I was safe. He did tune up etc and the brakes and lines and centered the Springs in the cones cos they were crunching and got me going most of the way but I want to do the rest myself now. I am very mechanically inclined and I've already broken down 4 times and got myself running again by just looking at the engine compartment and motor and using some common sense (so far that's all I've needed) like hey why is that wire dangling....

I am a wood worker and own my own furniture wood finishing business here in SF. You can check out my business GRIT Woodfinishing just to see my work I'm not trying to advertise ( I only work locally anyway)
Gritsf.com

This forum has already been super inspiring and has made me feel like I can definitely work on this car. The most confusing part to me is carbs. I'm really just at the basic point of trying to read all I can about how to tune carbs properly etc and I've ordered almost every book that clarks has and some are in the mail. The latest one I bought was how to keep your corvair alive and darn it it is expensive on eBay!!

Anyone in SF want to meet up?

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
GasDaddy140

Re: San Francisco Corsa owner finally introducing

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Hi! The carbs should confuse you, they're not for sissies you know. Four 1 barrel Rochester carburetors, just can't find that anywhere in production American automobiles. I suffered through mine with a lot of help from this awesome forum. When I get my 65 Corsa heap going, it would be great to meet. I'm up north-ish from you about 40 miles. Your Corvair is too hot! I'm hoping that my rebuilt engines starts soon, atop the greasy table in my garage first.
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA
"When in doubt...Hit the gas!" A.J. Foyt.

1965 Corvair Corsa (field find) Project
1971 Dodge Sportsman "shorty" 318 van
2015 Nissan Juke S
Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

Welcome to the Forum!

Lots of people willing to help when you need it.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Welcome from the SF Bay East bay area!!! (San Lorenzo)

The SFBA Corsa group meets the first Thursday of each month at the Danville Black Bear, would love to see you there.
20170512_075049.jpg

There is also a Bay Area Corvair Owner Facebook page as well! We do "Go for a drive" days now and then
Last edited by SteveH on Mon May 15, 2017 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
CORSA Member #034095
65 Corvair Corsa "Field Find" 140-4, 4 speed, Hardtop, Telescoping wheel. Rear Speaker
65 Corvair Corsa Automatic 140-4, Coupe
66corsaguy

Post by 66corsaguy »

Thanks Steve! I will follow up!!

66corsaguy

Post by 66corsaguy »

GasDaddy140 wrote:Hi! The carbs should confuse you, they're not for sissies you know. Four 1 barrel Rochester carburetors, just can't find that anywhere in production American automobiles. I suffered through mine with a lot of help from this awesome forum. When I get my 65 Corsa heap going, it would be great to meet. I'm up north-ish from you about 40 miles. Your Corvair is too hot! I'm hoping that my rebuilt engines starts soon, atop the greasy table in my garage first.
Would love to see pics of yours!

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
GasDaddy140

Post by GasDaddy140 »

66corsaguy, check my 140 Engine Progress on the MembersBuilds stuff here. :tu:
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA
"When in doubt...Hit the gas!" A.J. Foyt.

1965 Corvair Corsa (field find) Project
1971 Dodge Sportsman "shorty" 318 van
2015 Nissan Juke S
66corsaguy

Post by 66corsaguy »

GasDaddy140 wrote:66corsaguy, check my 140 Engine Progress on the MembersBuilds stuff here. :tu:
Will do!

66corsaguy

Post by 66corsaguy »

ImageImageheres some fresh shots of my girl. This weekend I will be trying my hands on the tune up and checking compression vacuum and timing. Check my carbs etc.
Image and use this book to guide me along with the shop manual of course

Return to “Introductions”