Stock oil pressure at idle ?

All Models and Years
acarlson

Stock oil pressure at idle ?

Post by acarlson »

What is it using the stock oil pump when engine is idling (between 600 & 900 RPM) ?
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Regal Red Corsa 4 Speed Turbo Convertible
Restoration "In Progress"...
cnicol

Re: Stock oil pressure at idle ?

Post by cnicol »

5-10 PSI hot would be pretty typical. 10 PSI per 1000 RPM, regulated to 35 PSI maximum
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
'60 Monza PG coupe (sold, sniff, sniff)
'66 Corsa Fitch Sprint Conv. (First car 1971, recently repurchased)
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Since you are rebuilding your engine I'll add that my experience with a rebuilt when priming the oil system (something you should do) with room temperature 10W30 motor oil will give 35PSI by about 1,000 RPM (500 distributor RPM) with a dummy shaft and electric drill.

When you select a oil pump gasket thickness, make sure you plastigauge BOTH gear sides. Sometimes the plate will be worn on just one gear side due to a minor difference between the housing machined plane and gear shaft axis. If one gear has less clearance to the plate than the other - rotate the plate 180 degrees and plastigauge again - usually that will even out the difference.

Sometimes during a rebuild folks will consider a high volume oil pump - IMHO it is NOT needed for an engine with stock bearing clearances and just wastes energy and puts more tension on the distributor/oil pump shaft and gears.
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

Perfect - thanks for the info. I have an electric fuel pump and I'm replacing the safety switch. I just want to make sure the new switch doesn't trigger at a pressure lower then my idle pressure.

As far as my oil pump goes - I already have the high volume pump installed. A previous owner did that. I know I have to plastigauge the gears and I've already talked to Clarks about getting an assortment of gaskets so I can make sure I end up with the correct installed clearance. I had Clarks send me the original installation instructions for it. In any case, that's good info about uneven gear wear on the cover plate. I'll have to check that - thanks.
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Regal Red Corsa 4 Speed Turbo Convertible
Restoration "In Progress"...

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”