How do I remove stuck turbo exhaust housing?

All Models and Years
terribleted

How do I remove stuck turbo exhaust housing?

Post by terribleted »

I have a 64 turbo engine with a turbo charger that does not spin properly. I have been trying to remove it from the exhaust housing. Clamping ring is off. the turbo unit rotates relative to the exhaust housing and the compressor and turbine shaft can be rotated with a small socket wrench. The turbo will not come off the housing. I assume it has some hard carbon or something keeping it from separating. I have soaked with PB blaster, and sprayed heavily with carb cleaners as well. I got 1/16" gap and some wobble between the turbo and the housing and that's it. Hammer and wood block persuasion not effective either so far. Ideas?? The unit is still mounted to the car at the bracket and exhaust pipes since removal would involve cutting and a new exhaust system and new mounting studs (it is that bad).
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Nickshu

Re: How do I remove stuck turbo exhaust housing?

Post by Nickshu »

Since both the exhaust housing and the turbine backing plate are cast iron they are probably rusted together. Heat it up really hot first, then try to split them? Sounds like a tough project, bummer.
Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - SOLD ON BRING A TRAILER 4/30/2019 - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Thanks to all the awesome CCF, CF, COG, and CORSA members who helped me with the restoration!
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

You can do this at your own risk, but if all else fails, a bit of vibration usually does the trick. Fold a towel up to make a buffer pad, and then use an air hammer gently to vibrate it loose. Works for me all the time on cast iron parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Steve
1961 Corvair 700 Sedan (80hp 3spd Gasoline Heat)
Coolair

Post by Coolair »

viewtopic.php?t=12253

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Corvair Forum mobile app

Coolair

Post by Coolair »

Worked for me soaked it in kerosene for a few days then some heat

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Corvair Forum mobile app

terribleted

Post by terribleted »

OK now I have some ideas, none of which are in this owners idea of budget, as turbo rebuild would immediately follow. Trying to verify engine condition beyond the known trashed carb and sticking turbo....time for plan B. I have a good set of carbs and a cross shaft. I will bet I can run it enough on those to verify compression and any funny noises, smoke etc. :)
Last edited by terribleted on Fri May 12, 2017 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

Send it to me, I'll help you out.

Usually heat and penetrating oil are your best friends with stuck heat shields, but some just refuse to let go. I did one for a guy a number of years ago that looked like it was buried in the backyard for 40 years, I had to tell him he needed a new turbine wheel and housing because even with an arbor press/air hammer/oxy torch the thing just wouldn't let go. Win some/lose some, these are old parts anymore and there are no promises on their condition once you get them apart.

But I have plenty of spares, and don't mind working with people on the forum to set their turbos right again. I'd rather you have boost than a pair of carbs. lol
Click it!
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

LOL Thanks Mini. Send it to you...hmmm....great idea. Only issue is he does not want to even consider an exhaust system at this time and to remove the exhaust housing (along with the rest of the turbo) will require cutting the bracket nuts and replacing the bracket studs (badly rusty and stripped already). This will mean removing the bracket for stud replacement and there is no way the rusted to heck exhaust system is going to go back together with any new or used inlet pipe. I can verify whether the long block appears to be any good or not by temporarily installing my carb set on it to run it a little and see if it seems to be ok or not. After that he can decide whether he wants to proceed and fix this car or not.

He recently bought 3 64 models that were sitting since before 2000 from one family and we are trying on the cheap to make them stop and go. An operable car is much easier to resell than one that is not. He has not yet decided which or how many he may keep. The 64 Monza Convertible he brought me first ran well with 150 PSI compression on all 6 cylinders after only ignition parts and a carb rebuild. It required a complete brake system in order to stop however;) This Spyder is #2 of the 3. It is not being as friendly as the Monza.

miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

I have an NOS downpipe I don't need, you can have that for shipping. I might have a pedestal as well, gotta go look. If I were you, I would take a cutoff wheel to that thing in a heartbeat and set it right. The parts aren't that expensive, and I can take care of the turbo for a few coins.
Click it!
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Once the owner decides what he wants to do.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”