Alternator wiring

All Models and Years
richmoylan

Alternator wiring

Post by richmoylan »

Hi guys, I'm in the process of putting together the corsair project I bought now that the paints done. I got her running the other day after wiring a new ignition switch in. I was just wondering if somebody could tell me of I've missed a wire on the switch, and also my alternator isn't wired up, could somebody tell me where the wires on my alternator need to go? I'm learning as I go what's actually in the car, I know it's a later engine in a 64 and I heard the later ignition switch has a wire to power the accessories? I might have misread that but could somebody tell me if I've done wrong? When the ignition on my fuel gauge goes straight to full? So could be a faulty sensor or I've not wired something up correctly ?

Any help/advice is appreciated I have attached some pics of the switch and the alternator. For the switch I went black to ign, purple to solenoid and red to bat? She turned over fine so I'm guessing they are correct but should I have any more wires going to the switch?

terribleted

Re: Alternator wiring

Post by terribleted »

The alternator is not connected because...well...because it is not connected. It is virtually impossible to tell you where the wires go in your heavily re-wired engine bay. The alternator you have is not the stock item. It is a later internally regulated alternator. This is a good thing unless you are a stock purist (I doubt this with a 140 engine in an early model). There are wiring conversion instructions and diagrams in the CORSA Tech Guide (to convert from the stock alternator with external voltage regulator to the internally regulated unit you have installed). You would need these diagrams and the factory wiring diagrams for your 64 and an inspection and tracing of wires in your heavily modified wiring harness in order to see what is where and what is connected to what before proper connection could be ensured.

You are correct the 64 ignition switch does not have an accessory position so accessories like radio, wipers etc. are only powered while also powering the ignition system. This lack of separate accessory power has not relevance to the later engine install and all accessories are part of the car not the engine.

As for the fuel gauge going straight to full the first thought is that maybe the tank is full:) Beyond the tank being full it could be one of a few problems such as faulty wiring, faulty gauge, or faulty sending unit.

Not sure about your switch wiring question as I am not pull out the diagram right now to see. As long as you match the wiring in the GM shop manuals electrical diagram in the 1964 supplement you in theory should be fine.

A final comment. I see a copper tube in your engine bay running from where the oil pressure warning lamp sensor should be forward along side the fuel line. I presume that this continues to a mechanical gauge at the dash. I hope that the solid copper line ends just outside the engine bay and converts to something flexible as the engine move around in the body during operation and would likely eventually fracture a solid copper line mounted to both engine and body. If the copper is run all the way thru the tunnel and up into the car I would change that very soon. I also think the lack of a low pressure warning sender switch is a poor idea. A red warning lamp coming on in the dash should the oil pressure go away if far more noticeable than Gee my oil pressure gauge is at zero (I do not stare at my oil pressure gauge the whole time I drive do you?) If there is not provision for the factory "idiot light" switch for oil pressure I would highly recommend adding such provision. The indicator lamp Temp/Press is stock in the dash. Having it functional from both temperature and pressure sides is a good idea and might save your engine some day.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
richmoylan

Post by richmoylan »

Thanks for the reply! I'm aware the wiring harness is modified, I was hoping somebody here might know where the terminals on the alternator are supposed to be wired too. I'm guessing there isn't that many options when it comes to wiring an alternator to a car regardless of the model. I have the standard wiring diagrams but it's not much help. It's not that easy to find people who know about corsairs this side of the pond either.

Good to know the engine conversion shouldn't affect the accessories, that's a relief. As for the fuel the tank definitely isn't full, I'll put that on the to do list to check sender wiring and sensor.

As for the last comment. My mind is a little boggled. I'm learning as I go with this car as I've never even seen one before let alone taken note of what is and isn't in the engine bay, but that's why I came to this forum for knowledge like that! I'll trace the copper tube and see what the deal is.

I'm pretty sure there is an oil pressure gauge, the car has 4 extra gauges that have been built into a little box attached under the head unit. One is an oil temp. I will see if I can find out if where the warning lamp you talk of is wired too, if wired to anything.

Thanks for your help I appreciate it. I've got a lot to learn with this but if you saw the state of her when I got it I've come a long way already, just got to wrap my head around the electrics now!
richmoylan

Post by richmoylan »

And I wish my auto predict would stop calling it a corsair!
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

quote=richmoylan post_id=89286 time=1494277481 user_id=6738]
And I wish my auto predict would stop calling it a corsair!
[/quote]

LOL

Where that copper tube connects by the alternator is supposed to be an oil pressure switch that turns on the pressure warning lamp If the pressure drops too low.

If you do not have one yet I would suggest you really need to purchase the 1961 main book Gm shop manual and the 1964 supplement to the main book. These are available at reasonable prices from Clark's Corvair parts. I do not have links to digitized data to share what you need. there is some digitized data around perhaps someone will share the wiring diagrams you need and maybe even the re-wiring diagram for installing the internal alternator in an early model (pre 1965) Corvair. bbodie52 on this forum shares lots of digital images of wiring, articles etc. I would bet if you searched even his recent posts you would find a 64 wiring diagram. Of course it might not help as much if most has been re-wired, but, it could get you going in the right direction.

I find the best solution for butchered wiring is often replacement of harnesses with reproduction units from Clark's. An intact engine harness is easy to modify for the internal alternator. Here is a scan of the alternator rewiring diagrams. Sorry it is upside down...it is not so viewed on my computer and rotating it there did not change it here:/
SCAN0008.JPG
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
KiltedPhoenix

Post by KiltedPhoenix »

Corsair?

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Corvair Forum mobile app

richmoylan

Post by richmoylan »

So you just read up until you found a typo you could correct and dived straight in for some attention? I forgot what car forums were like..My apologies, my auto predict wasn't aware you were here to correct obvious typos.
Last edited by richmoylan on Wed May 10, 2017 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
richmoylan

Post by richmoylan »

Thanks a lot Ted for the info, I'll make sure I get a pressure switch installed and check that copper pipe goes to something flexible. I have the manuals and the wiring diagrams it's just hard to know what's for where when the guy who did the conversion hasn't used matching colour sleeving to the diagrams.
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

The small wires on the alternator plug are reversed. Forward terminal (#1) goes to the idiot light (usually a brown wire). Rearward terminal (#2) goes to battery +. (some people take a shortcut and connect #2 to the alternator output terminal, which works as a practical matter but isn't ideal)

As for your key switch... on an early model, the black wire is usually "Battery" but your car's wiring is customized so who knows.
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
'60 Monza PG coupe (sold, sniff, sniff)
'66 Corsa Fitch Sprint Conv. (First car 1971, recently repurchased)
CorvairCon65

Post by CorvairCon65 »

KiltedPhoenix wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 11:27 pm Corsair?

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Corvair Forum mobile app
Corsair
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

F4U Corsairs

WWII Corsair Pilot, my father in law, J. Ned Corman — Black Sheep Squadron

VMF-214 on Turtle Bay fighter strip, Espiritu Santo, New Hebrides. VMF-214 poses for a group picture before leaving for Munda. Colonel Gregory Boyington's Black Sheep Squadron.

Years later — a Pan Am 747 pilot, Capt J. Ned Corman & youngest daughter Sue. just before retirement.

My wife's father, Pan American Airways Capt. J. Ned Corman, just prior to his retirement as a Boeing 747 pilot. Daughters Darcy Nickerson and Sue (Sian Lindemann) were there to celebrate his retirement.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
toytron

Post by toytron »

Brad,

What a tremendous legacy. I love to see our military families. My father served in the Pacific during WW2 (Navy), my oldest brother was a Naval aviator served in the Philippines on a P3 Orion sub chaser. My youngest brother was a supply sergeant in the Air Force, my oldest son was a "Nuke" onboard the Aircraft Carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt, oldest daughter was security forces in the Air Force and now my youngest daughter is graduating college and going into the Army.

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
richmoylan

Post by richmoylan »

:woo:
cnicol wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 6:05 am The small wires on the alternator plug are reversed. Forward terminal (#1) goes to the idiot light (usually a brown wire). Rearward terminal (#2) goes to battery +. (some people take a shortcut and connect #2 to the alternator output terminal, which works as a practical matter but isn't ideal)

As for your key switch... on an early model, the black wire is usually "Battery" but your car's wiring is customized so who knows.
That's the answer I was looking for thank you, and you are right. Black to battery red to ignition is how I wired it up. I don't know why I said it that way around!
guru_1071

Post by guru_1071 »

rich

your car certainly ran when I saw it, but never noticed the workings of the dash, it was impossible to sit in the car as the seats where in danger of falling through the floor!
richmoylan

Post by richmoylan »

guru_1071 wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 5:46 am rich

your car certainly ran when I saw it, but never noticed the workings of the dash, it was impossible to sit in the car as the seats where in danger of falling through the floor!

Hey! You have seen my car before? Small world.

It has a brand new floor pan welded in it now you will be relieved to know!

It runs, I have had it running but I was very doubtful that the battery was being charged by the alternator as there is only one white wire going to the alt.
guru_1071

Post by guru_1071 »

richmoylan wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 6:25 am

Hey! You have seen my car before? Small world.

yep, I nearly bought it a few years ago

here is was when it was dumped in the weeds behind my mates garage!

I didn't buy it as I decided it needed too much work, instead I bought one that was much worse! :rolling:

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”