New Member From New Jersey

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
Spike65

New Member From New Jersey

Post by Spike65 »

HI

My Name is Dave and I live in Central New Jersey. I have just purchased a 1965 Corsa turbo. It is the third Corvair I have owned. The first was a 1964 Monza convertible 110 HP/4 speed which was my first car. In 1968 I sold it and got an Olds 4-4-2 (just a little bit different). We purchased a 1965 Convertible 110 HP/ 4 speed in 1970 and used the car for 2/3 years before we sold it.

I always liked the Corvair and in my business career spent sometime in Pittsburg where I was a representative tor PNB now PNC. My territory included Canonsburg and I got to know Don Yeko and considered him a friend. We had great times driving Stingers and Camaros to lunch.

I am looking for a one-stop shopping disc brake conversion to fit the 15" wheels on the Corsa. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

notched

Re: New Member From New Jersey

Post by notched »

Michael Leveque and David Clemens both offer kits for using S10 calipers and rotors.
David also offers a complete Wilwood kit for the front that is about $900 from what I recall him posting on Facebook. The S10 stuff is significantly less.
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:search: :google: I did some searching on the Internet and found some interesting videos related to the Corvair disc brakes, and some other links as well...

Below is a link to the David Clemens Facebook page...

:link: https://www.facebook.com/david.c.clemens

These are links to a pair of videos he did showing fitting a custom rear disc brake system to a LM Corvair...

:link: https://www.facebook.com/david.c.clemen ... 549502110/

:link: https://www.facebook.com/david.c.clemen ... 762147426/
Stinger Motorsports wrote:Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:24 am

My kit is listed in the parts for sale section of this Forum. I have installed close to 20 kits here in my shop it is a very easy conversion and it doesn't have any effect on the Speedo cable.

The new rotor slips on over the factory wheel hub. The hub must have the outside diameter turned down slightly to allow this slip fit. I also keep the pre turned hubs in stock to make the conversion quicker.

If your trying to cut the corners on cost I sell a basic kit which comes with Brackets, Hardware, and detailed instructions for $120.00.
You can add pre turned hubs for $40.00

David Clemens
Stinger Motorsports
540 204 0917
:link: viewtopic.php?t=3700
Awesome autocross and street-legal Corvair built by David Clemens, a well-known Corvair racer and builder. I've owned it for just a few months, I bought it directly from David. Only selling because I need the space, otherwise I'd be keeping this car for a very long time. MANY upgraded features, please refer to the full list below. In short, it has a fully built race motor, rebuilt 4-speed transmission, 4-piston Wilwood disc brakes on all 4 corners, brand new Dunlop street/track tires with only 20 miles on them, custom wheels, and a host of other modifications. It's a gorgeous car, the nicest Corvair I've seen anywhere.

Short in-car video:

Engine:
140ci Corvair engine
Nitrided crankshaft, balanced rotating assembly
88mm VW pistons (cylinders bored .023)
Otto OT30 camshaft with failsafe gear
High volume oil pump
HEI distributor, Crane HEI coil
Weber-style 40 IDF carburetors with Tom Knoblauch manifolds
Converted VW carburetor linkage (stronger than stock Corvair linkage)
Reworked cylinder heads (ported, radiused, cleaned up, etc.)

Drivetrain:
Rebuilt, original 4-speed with 3:55 gears in the transaxle
110 style pressure plate for lighter rotating mass

Front end:
Aftermarket, brighter high-beams
Rebuilt front suspension
Stinger Motorsports front disc brake conversion kit - 12.25" rotors with Wilwood hats. Wilwood 4 piston calipers and pads.
ASA GT06 Wheels 17x8
Custom shortened steering arms

Rear suspension:
Completely rebuilt rear suspension
Disc brakes - Wilwood 4 piston calipers, pads, and rotors
Trailing arms seam welded for strength
All new bushings and bearings in transmission cradle, wheels, trailing arms, etc.
Solid transmission mounts
Lowered springs

Interior:
Auto Sounds stereo and speakers
Cipher Auto front racing seats, custom upholstered rear seat
Seth Emerson steering wheel

Notes: The car is in extremely good condition but for full disclosure, here is a list of ALL issues I'm currently aware of: Heater not hooked up but can easily be re-attached. Currently the heater switch on the dash is the on/off for the electric fuel pump. Since the car now has disc brakes all around, the E-brake cable is disconnected. Horn not functional. Minor paint chips in various places but no dents or damage. One small rust spot on right rear fender and mis-matched paint area on rear right C-pillar (see pics). Minor paint cracking on A-pillars but that's common and just cosmetic. The rest of the car is rust-free as far as I can tell and is exceptional condition for it's age.

I'm sure I missed a couple of things, there's a ton of work done to this car. It would be an animal on a race track but it's also very comfortable to drive on the street. Unfortunately I never had a chance to race it, I only put about 100 miles on it total since I've owned it, all local street driving. Comes with clean NY paperwork ready to transfer to the new owner. As with any used car, sold as-is with no warranty expressed or implied. I tried to describe the car as accurately as possible, but please ask any questions you have. I'll take additional photos upon request and you're welcome to come see the car in person if you're local.
:link: http://www.americaronline.com/cache/com ... 498198.htm

Corvair Parts and Repair - Stinger Motorsports

Street Address (Primary): 2736 Calloway St, Roanoke, VA 24012
Phone: 540/204-0917
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

Welcome! After you make your disc brake selection I'm sure everyone would like to know about your experiences of installation and how well it works "out of the box" My disc brake conversion experience (all on street rods and 40s-60s cars) is that they're not usually "plug and play" but a specific kit for a specific model might be a different story. Keep us posted!
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
'60 Monza PG coupe (sold, sniff, sniff)
'66 Corsa Fitch Sprint Conv. (First car 1971, recently repurchased)
Allan Lacki

Post by Allan Lacki »

Hi Spike65, I don't have any advice about disk brake kits, but you mentioned that you live in central New Jersey. You may want to consider joining the New Jersey Association of Corvair Enthusiasts. They are a chapter of CORSA and an active club that conducts tech sessions and other activities all year long. Here is a link to their website: http://www.corvair.org/chapters/njace/
notched

Post by notched »

Del Val Vair is a club that meets in Bordentown the first Wednesday every month. They are sponsoring a show in Palmyra, NJ on May 6th if you would like to stop by.
Bayshore is another club based out of Ocean County.
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
Spike65

Post by Spike65 »

Thank you Alan & Notched for the information.

Return to “Introductions”