oil coming out of dipstick hole

All Models and Years
terribleted

Re: oil coming out of dipstick hole

Post by terribleted »

Machine shop services are needed to replace the valve seat. I saw the oil pan photos. am I supposed to notice something about them?
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
dick2256

Post by dick2256 »

yes is that plate inside of the pan important
I read some place it is to keep the oil from foaming
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

The baffle? keeps oil from sloshing around. better to have it but not a critical part by any means
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

dick2256

Post by dick2256 »

since I don't have a lot of money could I get by having the number 4 valve seat repaired or is it necessary to have all of the seats rebuilt
What I would like to do is repair any bad seats clean up the jugs and install new rings
what are your thoughts
I have been asking around about a good machine shop but haven't talked to any of them
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

You can always try a minimal repair. You need to find a machinist who can replace or possibly stake the bad seat. I would bet that if you can see it is loose that it needs to be replaced with an oversized seat after machining the head to accept it at the correct press fit. You could certainly just address this one issue and put it back together and see what happens. I have had some good luck throwing used bits and pieces together before. I have a buddy...one car stopped for hole in piston.... next car 2 years later stopped for dropped valve seat....put heads from car 1 on car 2 leaving beat up piston. It is now somewhere over 5 years later and he still drives it every day a good distance each day in fact.

I am not sure you need to do anything to the rings and cylinders at this time. Compression readings on your last test looked super except for #4 with the loose seat which will allow compression to blow back into the intake causing your blowby as well as not fully sealing causing the low compression reading. In order to properly re-ring the cylinders must be properly honed in order for the rings to seat properly. They should be processed in a compressed state. There is also the issue of whether or not the cylinders will measure within tolerances after honing which of course would mean spending more money for different properly sized cylinders if the clearances are too large. With the last compression numbers you posted I would certainly consider simply repairing the one seat and putting it back together.

dick2256

Post by dick2256 »

I found a Midwest machine in Nevada Iowa and ask him the cost of repairing the valve seat and repairing one plughole that has stripped threads which I repaired with one of Clarks thread repair kits
toytron

Post by toytron »

What is the casting number on the head?

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
dick2256

Post by dick2256 »

I'll check that out later this morning and let you know
Dick
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

This was posted on the first page of this thread...
dick2256 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:37 pm
the motor on my airboat heads are 3856759
and the numbers on the other motor heads are 3856632
so can you tell me what I have from that?
3856759 = 1965, 164 CI, 110 hp, 9:1 CR, 3-13/16" Cyl. Bore (into head)

3856632 = 1964, 164 CI, 110 hp, 9.25:1 CR, 3-3/4" Cyl. Bore (into head)
I believe you could substitute the head from the 1964 engine on to the 1965 engine if the machine shop enlarged the 1964 head opening to accept the 3-13/16" 1965 cylinder. Alternately you could transfer all three 1964 cylinders along with the 1964 head to the 1965 engine (as long as the all have the same bore). The 1965 pistons could be used in the 1964 cylinders, if you fitted new rings, had the cylinders honed etc. The 1964 pistons/rods could also be transferred with the barrels, if everything is in good condition from the donor engine.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
dick2256

Post by dick2256 »

Ed
ok I am awake now.
The casting number is 3856759
Dick
toytron

Post by toytron »

Ok Dick, and thanks Brad. I will keep my eyes open for a head in this area. You might want to check on craigslist in your area Dick for engine parts or post the need for a head there also. It seems that there are quite a few people south and west of you that post corvair related stuff on craigslist. It might save you some time and money.

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair monza
dick2256

Post by dick2256 »

I have a 64 head that has 2 plug holes with stripped threads but the valves a seats are good and I have the jugs for it so
I am going to change it out and use my 1965 pistons and rings with it and repair the threads and see what it does that way my
head was fine except the intake valve seat in number 4 has pulled loose
toytron

Post by toytron »

Ok Dick, keep us informed.

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair monza
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

dick2256 wrote:Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:40 am

I have a 64 head that has 2 plug holes with stripped threads but the valves a seats are good and I have the jugs for it so
I am going to change it out and use my 1965 pistons and rings with it and repair the threads and see what it does that way my
head was fine except the intake valve seat in number 4 has pulled loose
:dontknow:

Not sure about reusing old piston rings from your 1965 in used 1964 cylinders. The 1965 rings have "worn in" to match the 1965 barrels. You might get a better seal with new rings and honing the 1964 barrels. Alternately just leave the 1964 pistons installed in the 1964 barrels and move the complete piston/ring/connecting rod/barrel set over from the 1964 engine to the 1965 engine, along with the 1964 head. Assuming that the 1964 rings/barrels/pistons and valves are OK, the only repair needed will be the stripped spark plug holes.

Please note that you must use 1964 head gaskets with the 1964 head and cylinder barrels.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
dick2256

Post by dick2256 »

also going and have a good look at number I
I think it is probably a bad cylinder
on the 3 cylinders I am using from the 1964 should I hone them a lot or just mark them up a little
Brad I just saw your last post and I can use the 64 rings but the problem is they are in different piles so I have no idea what piston
came out what cylinder
so I should buy new rings for the 64 head
how do I know if they are standard or oversized I am assuming they are standard because I never worked the engine and I bought it in 1972
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Measure!!!

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”