140 Motor Progress

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
GasDaddy140

Re: 4 Carb Linkage 140 Motor Progress

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Finally sorted out this 4 carb linkage! I was a clueless novice about the parts I was missing or how it worked, but I sure know now.

Joefarmer-Dave is a celebrity of his own making on YouTube! I've learned a bunch from him too. He has a lot of damn tools and Corvair experience. He was born pretty close to a Corvair.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA
"When in doubt...Hit the gas!" A.J. Foyt.

1965 Corvair Corsa (field find) Project
1971 Dodge Sportsman "shorty" 318 van
2015 Nissan Juke S
joefarmer

Re: 140 Motor Progress

Post by joefarmer »

Agreed! By the way, I'm diggin the 'blue on black' paint scheme you've got going on. What made you decide to go that direction?
GasDaddy140

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Well, I had Chevy SIX CYLINDER blue industrial strength paint. The black is also industrial strength gloss and flat shades. Glad you like it. Some of the parts in my collection were already painted red and yellow a long time ago, so I clean and sand them for blue or black. It's grown on me.
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S
viewmaster

Post by viewmaster »

Hey Alan, been lurking around this post, and finally got the nerve the reply. Depending on which CHT gauge you go with, an aircraft thermocouple will work great. I am going to run a Stewart Warner HD CHT, because that is what the PO had in mine, and i found out that this particular gauge uses a "k" type thermocouple, and is very avail., and cheap from Aircraft Spruce Co.

Maybe this helps, you...or someone.

Great job on the build!!! Gives me inspiration on my 140 build. BTW, what cam did you choose for this build?

-m
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
'65 Monza Sedan "Turbo'd" 110 SU conversion 4sp Manual'
GasDaddy140

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Hi ViewMaster, Thanks for the temperature gauge information and source. I'll check it out. I've had to slow up on my build a little the last couple of weeks due to other responsibilities (home, kids, work), but really hope to have compression check numbers this weekend. I went bold and will take my chances on the 1965 Corsa camshaft, 3839891,that was in the motor, it just looked too good. Not sure if it's stock or regrind. But someone in the past had put a lot of effort into the reconditioning of the internal parts. Thanks for the great comments! :tu:
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S
GasDaddy140

Black 1985 CA Plates-140 Motor Progress

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Hi, just sharing a little about my original black CA plates, I'm pretty sure that I found them piled into the car's interior. Title matches them up. Registration was paid up until 2/1985. What a heap I got my hands on! Lucky me. I suspect that the car was being a bit cared for still then. They're pictured uncleaned just like they'll stay on my daughter's wall. The plates are pretty heavy. My new white CA plates are very lightweight in comparison. I suspect that the prisons transitioned to lighter materials so that the prisoners good handle more of them in less time, for higher profits and stuff. Anyway, as I touched and handled them I could feel 1965 and beyond dirt and stuff, from the roads outside the prisons. Of course my car wasn't running in 2015 with it's new white plates. And neither was that Sears snow-blower, vintage mini bike engine leaking oil. But I'm putting a large effort into it this year. Not the little engine though, it seized bad awhile back. :chevy:
Attachments
IMG_3659.jpg
IMG_3661.jpg
IMG_3662.jpg
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S
GasDaddy140

Compression Lowdown 140 Motor Progress

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Hi Corvairs! Here's the lowdown:

Oiled up with drill motor and oil-cooler leaked bad. Checked it out, need new one.
All first compression attempts go, zero-bummer.
Adjust valves and 5 cylinders at 135psi, one at 110psi. Never run, piston rings not seated. I think it will start like this though.
No oil at rockers yet.
So, now I'll get oil cooler, wire up distributor, put gas lines on, and buy mufflers.
Any thoughts on this exciting experience will be appreciated!
What's happening inside this air-cooled world?
Attachments
Chunk.jpg
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:clap: :clap: :clap:

So far, so good!

If I had initial compression readings like those, I think I would be quite happy. Chances are good that things will improve with break-in.
::-):
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Scott V

Re: Black 1985 CA Plates-140 Motor Progress

Post by Scott V »

GasDaddy140 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:32 pm Hi, just sharing a little about my original black CA plates, I'm pretty sure that I found them piled into the car's interior. Title matches them up.
My new white CA plates are very lightweight in comparison.
why didnt you go w/the original black ca plates? its cool to see a old car in ca w/the original black plates.

-Scott V.
GasDaddy140

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Thanks for the encouraging words. Brad Bodie!
I like those words!
Scott V, it wasn't easy getting this heap re-activated in the CA DMV system. There was a wide gap in document responsibility during its field time. After 5 trips to the DMV and fees they decided to issue new title to me with new plates. I still have a 70's title though that I wouldn't turn in.
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S
gnrand

Post by gnrand »

I went through the same thing with a lost title and no registration since the 1980 on an original 1966 Ca. Corvair. There is paper work you can fill out to retain the use of the original plates. MOY (Make of Year) I believe is the Ca. DMV form. If your original number has not been used and the plates are in decent condition you can retain them (there is a guy in Chino that will restore the plates to new condition).
Jeff
1965 140 Corsa
1968 140 Monza convertible 4 speed
1965 Corsa Convertible
1966 Crown V8 383 435hp
1986 Buick GN V6 600hp
GasDaddy140

Post by GasDaddy140 »

gnrand/Jeff,

After I get this exotic Chevrolet moving down the road some, I'm going to do that!
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S
GasDaddy140

Getting closer, but I have needs, 140 Motor Progress

Post by GasDaddy140 »

12 row Corvair oil cooler wanted, please let me know if there's one out there. I saw one on eBay.

Got the new gas-line installed, pluggies too. I'm planning on trying to light-it-up this weekend if I can collect everything that I need. Monday night is distributor night. I have to choose mufflers. I've never had an un-running car so long in my life! I'm starting to imagine driving it around now :tu:
Attachments
IMG_3673.jpg
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S
GasDaddy140

Re: Mufflers! 140 Motor Progress

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Hi Corvairs and their Care Takers,

Mufflers! $29.00/ each from Summit Racing. Exact 1.7/8" ID inlets that fit Clark's 140 U-Pipes exceptionally. 1.7/8" down spouts. My criteria is that they will be mounted above the oil pan. They even have welded on threaded brackets for some kind of hanger you imagine! You may also notice that I have a distributor, 7mm wires, condensers, points, and other metal stuff...and drinking water. Soon..I'm going to try and light it off! :tu:
Attachments
IMG_3715.jpg
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S
toytron

Post by toytron »

Looks nice gasdaddy. What is that blue line coated with?

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Be sure to attach those welded on hangers to the engine and not the body. Exhaust must be supported by the engine as it moves in the body and will flex things loose if exhaust supported to body.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”