The Spousal Avoidance Unit build

Non-Traditionally Powered Corvairs
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: The Spousal Avoidance Unit build

Post by azdave »

Keep at it!

Fix all the stuff that bugs you while you've got it down this far or you'll regret it later. It's only time and money you know. ::-):
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

:guitar: Cha Cha Cha Changes

I finally got around to ordering some 1/8 inch wall 1 1/2 dia. aluminum tubing...........along with some silicon covered cushion clamps.

When I got to the garage today, I wasn't really sure how I was going to hang these coolant tubes. After getting a couple of the cushion clamps in place, I remember I had some turnbuckle type nuts which were about 1 inch long. After getting it all in place, it was just a matter of doing some healthy tacks and the rest came together.
This first picture shows where the coolant tubes come out of the tunnel. Getting the hoses to the radiator should be a piece of cake at this point.

This shows where the tubes come out in back. I will shorten these tubes a little but this is pretty much where all will be. The big hole in the floor
( which was the air intake ) will be covered so none of the operation goodies will show. There will be a new Lexan window covering the opening along with the lexan window on top............ :eek: Too much ? I think not

I will have to modify the cover for the tunnel but at this point :tongue: no big deal

This shows the nut that is used to mount the tubes. Still need to finish the welding but it all works as planned :neener:

I haven't been putting in as much time as I want but that is no excuse. Brakes lines and fuel lines ( also filter and pump ) will allow me to finish up the front and move on to the axles

Film at 11
mart

Post by mart »

hrm2k wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:48 am Believe it or not, I am leaning towards a 1953 Ford Color, seafoam green. The top will be gloss black along with the windshield posts and sail panels at the back. The headlight panel will be flat back including the aluminum trim. The tail light panel will also be flat black. I plan on dumping the weld prostars in favor of 10 inch rally wheels in the back and 6 inch in the front. They will be painted seafoam green anf have small center caps.............kind of like this

between the louvers and the grill at the base of the rear window, you can see most of the back of the engine and transaxle.
BTW.........that chevy orange is the motor and accessory color. The rest of the frame rails and cross members will be black

that is very close to the paint job I am thinking of for mine
NaderHaterJr

Post by NaderHaterJr »

Love it!

Sent from my SM-G925P using Corvair Forum mobile app

NaderHaterJr
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

Starting to make the changes in the back. The black cable you can see running through the opening in the metal is the throttle cable. If I run it under all the bars, it binds and sticks. Anyway, the panel will be in place soon covering the hole in the floor. The new structure that you see being held with clamps will also be the piece that the new front mounted lexan attaches to. When finished, the front and the top will both be covered in Lexan.

more to follow
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

:guitar:

just a quick update. The floor section is in place , painted with truck bed liners and welded completely. The sound deadener has been put down on top of piece. I dug through the upstairs storage and found my other piece of lexan. Made a couple of cuts and this is where I left yesterday

I was welding my fuel pump / filter mount to the fuel cell base when the welder ran out of juice .................more to follow as soon as I can get to the welding gas place

film at 11
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

Today was a time to attach the fuel cell mount to the frame. Then it was time to squirt some truck bed liner on the metal. I also found my fuel pump fit with no problem but the filter will have to change a little before it can bolt in.

Tomorrow will see the reinstallation of the passenger side brake line along with mounting the "T" fitting to the inner fender panel. Pretty happy with all the small changes so far

film at 11
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

Stuff is getting bolted in..............fuel cell, pump and filter..........new brake lines.............radiator mount

film at 11
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

starting to add some new pieces.

The radiator hoses in the back are all connected. I still need to run the fuel lines..........in good time

The fans are now a part of the picture. Some close tolerances but everything seems to fit. I will finish the wiring for the fan controller over the weekend.

close tolerance

hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

The fan controller is all wired in...........still a little more to do but it is getting closer every day

hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

I finished off the front of the engine compartment this morning. I only laid the top back in place to take the picture. You can hide nothing like this

Still have a couple of things to hook up and it will be time to do the axle spacers.................and then drive the crap out of it :tu:
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

Other than a vent tube on the fuel cell, a couple of hood pins and some grill mesh, the front is ready for some testing. The enclosure to duct the air into the radiator is made up of 2 pieces of metal...........a shroud on each side made of thin stainless and a 22 gage top panel that bolts into the old hood latch metal stubs and held in place by 4 tabs at the radiator . I used 1/2 inch Armaflex foam to finish it off and give it a complete almost air tight seal.

Small things seem to finish off ideas my friend and I have discussed. There will be more updates over the next week or so..........maybe even a test drive
66corsaguy

The Spousal Avoidance Unit build

Post by 66corsaguy »

Great project to follow!!!
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

This sucks big time :angry:

Photobucket has changed it's policy about third party links. Those links are to all the pictures in this build thread. They will redo the links if I agree to pay them $400 a year. I may be old but I am not stupid ............. SO all the pictures are lost............gone forever..............kaput............finished.......

I did ask Scott if this software allows picture uploads. That would allow me to at least put some of the pictures back

And can you believe it...............30,000 + views................humbling
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:angry:

I suppose this problem is one of the hazards of relying on a single "public" location to store our photographs. In the past, I have run into similar problems with links that I embedded in some of my posts that pointed to photograph storage locations on Facebook. A hosting website change or security change at Facebook is all it takes to break the link and to make many photographs unviewable. With the Facebook problem I can often simply grab a fresh URL from the desired photograph and update the thread with the new address, so that the desired photograph(s) can once again be viewed in those early posts on the Corvair Forum.

Resolving your problem may be possible by manually downloading each of the photographs that you posted and stored on Photobucket (assuming you still have access to your own photos, without additional charge!) If you can gather all the photographs on your PC hard drive you could then replace all of the IMG shares with actual photographs that you upload and embed in your thread. But with so many entries in this lengthy thread, that would be a major undertaking!

You have done an outstanding job in the past of documenting your project here on the Corvair Forum. It is a shame that your reliance on Photobucket to host the actual images so that you could share them here on the Corvair Forum has ended with their change in policy that literally pulls the rug out from under all of your documentation. I can't imagine a simple solution or a cost-effective one. I think we all appreciate the work you have done in the effort you made to share your project with the rest of us on the Corvair Forum.

I have never used Photobucket in the past, and I am not familiar with the previous user agreement or what has motivated them to change their policies. I certainly have no interest in ever considering using the Photobucket website in the future.

I hope that you will continue to update your thread with a continuous stream of entries to keep us posted on your progress. Of course any future entries that include photographs should be done by directly uploading the photographs from your PC to the Corvair Forum. All files that you add as attachments can be directly embedded within the text of each post, at any location within the text that you desire.

:google: :search: I just found this article...
Photobucket addresses complaints over new policy that charges heavy users $400
Denver photo-sharing site says it needs to find “sustainable business”

By TAMARA CHUANG | tchuang@denverpost.com | The Denver Post
PUBLISHED: July 6, 2017 at 7:00 pm | UPDATED: July 7, 2017 at 11:02 am

Denver-based Photobucket on Thursday said that a side business discovered by customers long ago is not sustainable. The company stuck to its new policy to charge up to $400 a year to people using Photobucket to host a large number of images.

“This path to a more sustainable business model allows us to develop an even more robust product to meet our customers’ needs,” Photobucket chief executive John Corpus said in a statement.

In late June, the company began charging $60 to $400 a year to customers who were using the site as essentially a hosting service. Users could store images on Photobucket and link to the images from message boards and other third-party websites. The service had previously been free and supported by ads.

But 75 percent of Photobucket’s costs originated from “non-paying users leveraging 3rd party hosting,” Corpus added. And it resulted in “zero revenue.”

As a business, the company turned the service into a paid feature and offered 500 gigabytes of storage and unlimited bandwidth for $399.99 per year, which allowed for “unlimited image linking and third-party hosting.” The cheaper $60-a-year plan allowed for 52 GB of storage but no third-party hosting.

The problem for affected users was that their photos disappeared online. They were replaced with images that asked the user to unlock their account because “3rd Party Hosting has been temporarily disabled.”

Customers accused Photobucket of blackmail and being forced to pay a ransom. One user who wrote to The Denver Post said that he’s used Photobucket for nine years and posted 9,800 photos.

Photobucket said it let those users either subscribe to the new plan or migrate the photos off the site.

But that’s not enough for long-time users like K.P. Harrier, who has used Photobucket for nine years.

“As far as a ‘fair solution,’ I would say just unlock nine years of my photos, which were originally uploaded in GOOD FAITH, which are now a historic document of sorts, and, as I have already done, gone elsewhere for such new service,” Harrier said in an email. “…The bad publicity can’t be undone, but it can halfway be reduced.”

Photobucket, which started around 2003, became one of the nation’s largest photo-sharing sites in the early 2000s. During its dot-com heyday, the company was acquired by News Corp., which also owned MySpace.com. Two years ago, the company said traffic to its site still hit about 60 million unique visitors per month.

After moving into mobile apps and home goods in recent years, the company made personal changes and replaced long-time chief executive Tom Munro in January 2016. Corpus, who joined Photobucket after it acquired his own social video site Milyoni, became CEO. At the time, the company employed 53 people mostly in Denver.
:link: http://www.denverpost.com/2017/07/06/ph ... -charging/
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
MtnVairMike

Post by MtnVairMike »

Upload them to Flickr. They have a free 1Tb limit and still allow third party links

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Corvair Forum mobile app
1966 Monza Convertible, 140HP-4 speed, Ermine White
1969 Monza Convertible, 110HP-PG, Frost Green, #3753

Return to “V8's - V6's - and...?”