Turbo Muffler Options

All Models and Years
Swngaxl

Turbo Muffler Options

Post by Swngaxl »

I need to replace my stock original turbo muffler, and would prefer a lower cost alternative since money is a bit tight right now with other things needing attention. So what are the dimensions for inlet/outlet, overall, etc? Anyone have a part/model number for something that will fit without too much trouble? I hate to get rid of mine, because it is an original we purchased in 1974. But, it finally got a hole in the side, so it don't sound too good any more.
Phil

64 Spyder convertible
MyLonewolf25

Re: Turbo Muffler Options

Post by MyLonewolf25 »

A turbo is the only muffler you need ;)

But just fit to your current exhaust size you have now

Really need more info on what you want to properly answer this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Swngaxl

Post by Swngaxl »

What are the standard dimensions for the stock muffler? What are the inlet/outlet diameters, overall length, etc?

I know Clark's has reproductions, and that would be perfect, but my budget is tight right now. I just want to know what my options are for something that will fit, and get rid of the "thu-thu-thu" sound I have now because of the hole rusted in the side of mine. Not too concerned about sound level.
Phil

64 Spyder convertible
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

On turbo engines I like those straight thru bullet style mufflers. You can find them real cheap on eBay, and because you have a turbo you don't need to kill much noise for it to sound good.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/161920306378

I put one like that on my VW Beetle, which has an air cooled 1915 turbo in it. Was quieter than the old magnaflow I had on there, also saved a bunch of space.
Click it!
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

MyLonewolf25 wrote:A turbo is the only muffler you need ;)

But just fit to your current exhaust size you have now

Really need more info on what you want to properly answer this

lol exactly what I was thinking!

-Steve
1961 Corvair 700 Sedan (80hp 3spd Gasoline Heat)
KiltedPhoenix

Post by KiltedPhoenix »

The muffler minman82 mentioned is a Thrush glasspack, you need 2" they have them for $26 at NAPA

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Corvair Forum mobile app

Swngaxl

Post by Swngaxl »

OK, confused now, which was part of my original question. Is the inlet/outlet of the turbo muffler 2" or 2-1/2"?

I like the idea of the glass pack for 26 bucks, since i'm about to blow most of my budget on getting seats recovered.
Phil

64 Spyder convertible
AZScott

Post by AZScott »

The inlet to the muffler ( and exit) on my stock '64 Spyder is 2 1/2". Will be curious on what you come up with, I will need to purchase somthing in the next couple of months.
63 Monza Coupe (164-4 carb)
64 Spyder Convertable
62 MGA Roadster
74 Norton Commando
69 Triumph Bonneville
Swngaxl

Post by Swngaxl »

OK, thanks, I'll keep you posted. Right now I have a bigger problem. Trying to get the car running, too much work and too many checks to list, but one bank is dead. Best I can tell, the right side doesn't fire at all, and I'm running on 3 cylinders. I have no idea what's going on with it, but I've checked everything I can think of. Next step is a compression test, maybe that will tell me something.
Phil

64 Spyder convertible
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Do you happen to be running a Pertronix Ignitor II ignition system on your Corvair?
Swngaxl wrote:...one bank is dead. Best I can tell, the right side doesn't fire at all, and I'm running on 3 cylinders...
66vairguy wrote:...the Pertronix II is not recommended for the PG cars that should idle at about 600 RPM in drive...

Only firing every other cylinder at idle with a Petronix II in a PG car at low RPM is a commonly reported problem - probably why the idle sounds odd.

...Frankly I never recommend a Petronix II and Flamethrower coil in a Corvair. Except with for the Turbo engine, the Petronix I and stock coil offer more than adequate firing voltage for the normally aspirated Corvair engine...
I know you are not running a Powerglide transmission, but if you have a Pertronix Ignitor II ignition system, I wonder if the problem described above could be causing the electronic module to skip every other cylinder?
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Swngaxl

Post by Swngaxl »

Brad, that's very interesting, can you get me to the rest of the thread that came from? I'd like to read it. I thought for a while that it was skipping every other cylinder, but that made no sense since I could easily see spark jump on every wire. But yes I am running an Ignitor I, not a II.

Finally got access to a pressure gauge today, number 5 cylinder is dead. Won't know for certain what happened until I tear into it, but it looks like whatever the problem is, is causing a non-ignitable mixture in the other two cylinders of that head.

So, won't be bringing Max to Helen this year. Bummer! :banghead:
Phil

64 Spyder convertible
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Here is the link to the thread you asked for...

:link: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=12151&p=83079&hili ... lem#p83079

You said are are running a Pertronix Ignitor I. The problem I remembered reading about was associated with a Pertronix Ignitor II running at very low RPM (as with a Corvair Powerglide engine idling in DRIVE). Your situation may be straying a bit too far from the conditions I described. However, an elecronic defect in a Pertronix I module might cause a problem, but that is just a guess. Perhaps you could install a set of points and condenser in your distributor temporarily in place of the Pertronix module to see if that changes anything. Also, the Pertronix modules REQUIRE 12 VDC for power. If you have the original resistor wire in the circuit feeding the coil, and if you are tapping off of that to power your Pertronix unit, the low source voltage could be causing a malfunction in the Pertronix electronics.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”