140 Motor Progress

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
joefarmer

Re: 140 Motor Progress

Post by joefarmer »

Little JB-weld and some duct tape and that cylinder will be just fine! :tu:
GasDaddy140

Re: Weekend Work 140 Motor Progress

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Hello Everything and Everyone Corvairs! This past weekend I made some good forward movements regarding my 140 engine rebuild; finally got the blower housing installed with a new bearing (thanks for all the advice!), awaiting alternator delivery this week, and got the trans-axle up on my sturdy rolling worktable by watching Andy do it by himself! He's pretty strong. As hard as it is to believe, the bolted pressure plate, clutch disk, and throw-out bearing pulled out of the this mess-are going back inside. My friend Andy was holding and turning the throw-out bearing in hand cautiously stating, "I'm not going to tell you to use this old thing...and then added, hey this feels really good!" I need to back off and reorganize my increasingly messy work area and round-up my assorted car parts. The entire Corsa heap was full of loose parts when it arrived. Some of them have been for a 1964 Corvair. I also need to study up on what the heck I am doing. It's not for everyone you know, you have to want it badly! And, I want to run this car. BTW-The wonderfully written and photoed Vintage Motorsports Magazine has a one page on BS Levy (great automotive writer) driving jay Leno's Stage II Stinger, says it goes like a bigger, somewhat cruder, 911 Porsche. Grundy's Insurance also has an ad with a Stinger, American Porsche! Updates will follow in a week or so. Compression checking is on deck soon. :chevy: :tu:
Attachments
IMG_3491.jpg
IMG_3486.jpg
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA
"When in doubt...Hit the gas!" A.J. Foyt.

1965 Corvair Corsa (field find) Project
1971 Dodge Sportsman "shorty" 318 van
2015 Nissan Juke S
joefarmer

Post by joefarmer »

I realize now what my worktable is missing - THE BOTTLE OPENER!

You may have already mentioned this, but did you end up splitting the case open? Also, did any of your studs come out when removing the heads?
GasDaddy140

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Hi Joe Farmer, yes, I split the case and yes, two studs pulled out. It was fairly easy to remove the errant studs and get them back in place with vise grips. I put the case back together clean and dry, no sealers. Get the cam timing right, it's your only chance! The bottle opener was donated by another friend and is a nice accessory indeed. My Corvair rebuild threads got a little wayward because, I'm a online novice. Crank and camshaft checked good! I opted to go with the 1965 only camshaft, it was in great shape or a regrind, not sure.
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S
GasDaddy140

Re: Cool 140 Motor Progress

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Hello! I keep moving forward and wanted to share! There sure are a ton of screws, bolts, and nuts involved in a Corvair engine and cover; found most of them. I managed to sort out some more boxes of car parts too. Next I'm going to get the trans-axle tightened up. It's ticking down like a time-bomb to oiling and compression checks. D-Evolution Corvair. My first Corvair engine rebuild. In my own cave-of-man garage.

Picking up my rebuilt rear wheel bearings assemblies soon too, from a Corvair demigod in the Mojave desert at the end of this month. :not worthy:
Attachments
IMG_3516.jpg
17190479_1472647739436781_8416607444621463342_n.jpg
17190479_1472647739436781_8416607444621463342_n.jpg (109.02 KiB) Viewed 1220 times
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S
toytron

Post by toytron »

Nice progress

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
Going4joe

Post by Going4joe »

Hi - is there any truth in the recommendation of replacing your camshaft if you are replacing your lifters during a rebuild?

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
GasDaddy140

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Hi Going4joe, I think that question boils down to the condition of your current worn lifters and camshaft. Some guys are always replacing EVERYTHING all the time! I can't and don't want to do that. If your camshaft is in good shape, I'd run it with new lifters. But, I'm sure that there are a lot of different opinions. Every engine repair, or rebuild is different, especially when you're talking about 50 or more year old cars, and they all have their own histories.
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by davemotohead »

You should have put a little sealer between the case half's in the red circled area's in this picture, these are the only area of the case's exposed and might develop a leak if not sealed.
Attachments
A stuff 059.jpg
A stuff 059.jpg (118.35 KiB) Viewed 1165 times
GasDaddy140

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Thanks DaveMotoHead! Next time. We'll have to see what happens...
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Going4joe wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:57 pm Hi - is there any truth in the recommendation of replacing your camshaft if you are replacing your lifters during a rebuild?

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Camshafts and lifters when installed new wear in to each other creating wear patterns on both that hopefully the cam and the lifter are happy with. When you put a new lifter against a used camshaft that wear in happens again and the result may or may not be happy. Worst case it can cause cam lobe failure. The possibility of failure from this is a smaller percentage perhaps a very small percentage even. My rule of thumb is that if the lifters seem to be functioning well before rebuild and the cam and lifter wear surfaces look ok then re-installing the old cam with the old lifters may be an option. NOTE each lifter should be put back in the same spot it came from so that each cam lobe is contacting the same lifter as before disassembly. To not do this asks for trouble as cam failure would be even more likely than placing a new unworn lifter on a worn cam surface. I would certainly not put a full set of new lifters against a used camshaft during re-build, just asking for trouble in my opinion. I would certainly not put used lifters against a new cam.....lifters are pretty cheap. I have replaced failed lifters on a one by one basis on used cams a number of times and have never had one fail on me yet, but, the possibility is there, and I know other people that have had cam failures after lifter replacement (of course perhaps the cam was already failing?). When I rebuild I generally replace both cam and lifters with new parts, it simply takes too much work to go back in and fix problems here.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
GasDaddy140

Re: Carburetors! 140 Motor Progress

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Hello! What a messy set of carburetors I purchased a few years ago on eBay-I knew nothing! DavemotoHead immediately recognized the 4-carb set as incorrect; two late model primaries, one correct secondary with enrich-er, one monstrosity of another primary with no enrich-er, reworked for racing poorly, a weird welded on spring holder, etc. Dave told me plainly that it looked like a monkey was working on the carburetor with a hammer! Anyway, in his experienced hands (don't be intimidated by his handsomeness and celebrity) new parts, used parts, and springs and seals and work came together to salvage a cool set of American 1bbrls. God bless America with Corvairs. Pictured is Dave teaching my son, Ady, the super-chicken pose down in the paddock area of Willow Springs International Raceway in the Mojave Desert where he skins race wheels with Hoosiers and Goodyears. By me, he's just making me look bad. We drive a long, long way down south there for the vintage races, and it turns out, Dave lives nearby. And he is a Corvair guy.

I'm missing some more parts: linkage parts for activating the secondaries (Help me! What do they look like?) fuel line stuff, carb spacers, I don't know where to run the balance tubes to since getting a cute Mr. Gasket breather! I actually found the choke actuators in a box of rusted bolts that came with the car. Nice! Enjoy, as I am making progress and will be the savior of a Corvair.
Attachments
IMG_3547.jpg
IMG_3549.jpg
IMG_3533.jpg
IMG_3534.jpg
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S
squidlong

Post by squidlong »

Joe- The Corvair engine won't bite so don't be apprehensive about rebuilding it. There are lots of good books on the subject including "Performance Corvairs", "Corvair Secrets" and "The Classic Corvair" all available through Clarks. The shop manual for your year is invaluable regarding rebuilds and there are plenty of Corvair guys and gals across the country that can assist you in every aspect of your build. Lastly, specialty vendors are out there as well and are generally happy to answer questions. Hope you are progressing on your build, the joy of doing it yourself is ever lasting!
"Caddy" Mike :chevy:
Marion, IN
'66 Monza Coupe 140
'64 Corvair "700" Coupe (owner conversion)
'57 Cadillac Coupe
'64 Cadillac Coupe "500 cid"
'61 Chevy Biscayne "327"
GasDaddy140

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Thanks squidlong! I'm not, JoeFarmer, but hopes he reads my threads. I'm having a confidence building, fun, and sometimes even depressing time learning and touching all the innards of this exotic road machine and flat six, air cooled, engine. What more does a man really need in a car anyway?
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA

2015 Nissan Juke S
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by davemotohead »

Hey Alan, great seeing you again at the track!
joefarmer

Post by joefarmer »

Alan - That engine is looking better every time I see it!!

Caddy Mike - I appreciate the encouragement, this has become a super fun project. Glad I decided to go this direction instead of a run-of-the-mill Mustang or Camaro type restore that is all too popular (to the point of it being deluded).

DAVE! I had no idea you were on this forum (silly to consider otherwise, now that I think of it). I have spent a lot of time watching your videos since I purchased my Corvair. Super helpful and super funny. Please keep posting, you're helping out a lot of vair-lovers out there! Give my regards to the garage chicken; he is an inspiration to us all.

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”