Newbie from the UK, just saying Hi

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
richmoylan

Newbie from the UK, just saying Hi

Post by richmoylan »

Hello! First time posting on here, thought i would start with a quick introduction before I start the build thread,

I bought my Corvair maybe 18 months ago if the dates on my photos are correct. Where it sat under some sheets for 12 months+ until i finally got around to getting something to work under.

I've attached some pictures of the car from the for sale thread when I originally bought it. It doesn't look much different now which is quite depressing but I've been mostly smoothing out bodywork issues, trust me there has been a lot!

I'm almost coming to the point where I'm ready to paint, I'm not a painter by trade. Or by hobby for that matter, this will be the first full car I have painted, and I know, before the Bodyshop boys think "oh god another DIY Disaster" don't worry! The reason I bought this project was as a bodywork project, for myself. To learn.

I don't view mishaps or faults as issues, they are lessons and I have learnt a lot of lessons on this project! If it goes bad, I've learnt my lesson, I do it again until it's right. My working conditions are FAR from ideal, (a tent) and my toolbox isn't the best! but I try to do the best with what I've got :)

I can't wait to show you guys the finished project and the journey toward it, I come to this forum for information constantly as there is very little knowledge of Corvairs in the UK, Do it would be nice to put some content on here myself.

So, from soggy England, Hello, hope to speak again soon!
Attachments
2015-08-06 13.06.15.jpg
2015-08-06 13.05.41.jpg
2015-08-06 13.04.55.jpg
2015-08-06 13.05.07.jpg
2015-08-06 13.05.12.jpg
guru_1071

Re: Newbie from the UK, just saying Hi

Post by guru_1071 »

ha!

I know this car, it used to be parked at a mate of mines, I nearly bought it a couple of years ago.

in fact, it was having a look at this one that made me really want one.

ive got some photos of it somewhere
Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

Welcome to the Forum! Looks like a fun project.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
joefarmer

Post by joefarmer »

Welcome! Looks like you have a great start!
GasDaddy140

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Do it! Paint that car with a $25 gun, good base coat paint and a nice Quick Clear.
Great looking car! Cragars (copies) in the UK! Hot exhaust pipes! Great choice for a foreign, American car.
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA
"When in doubt...Hit the gas!" A.J. Foyt.

1965 Corvair Corsa (field find) Project
1971 Dodge Sportsman "shorty" 318 van
2015 Nissan Juke S
joemonza

Post by joemonza »

Welcome. Good luck with the project. Keep posting your progress. It's always neat to watch the transformation.
Joe Nels
1966 Monza Coupe 4 speed
140 HP 4 barrel carb
guru_1071

Post by guru_1071 »

unfortunately I only have one photo of the purple corvair - the rest have vanished from my phone.

and here it is...........

toytron

Post by toytron »

Nice platform to start with. This might be a silly question but does it feel weird to drive on the opposite side of the road than you are use to? I have never driven a right hand steering vehicle before and just was wondering.

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
Bluenoser

Post by Bluenoser »

"This might be a silly question but does it feel weird to drive on the opposite side of the road than you are use to? I have never driven a right hand steering vehicle before and just was wondering."
My two cents on this.
Writing as an expat who has been back many times over the past 46 years. I had only a couple of occasions where I forgot myself, both times pulling onto a dual carriageway. The steering on the right and changing gear with left hand naturally leads you to the left side of the road. I think what I would find unnerving would be driving a car there with the steering wheel on on the left side.
Eric, Nova Scotia Canada.
'24 Ford Model T Touring
'59 Ford Galaxie
'66 Corsa Convertible
'79 Jaguar XJ6
'01 Toyota Solara
Kevster

Post by Kevster »

Hi,
Small wo led, it was this car on eBay a couple of years ago that got me looking at corvairs too! I think it had just come over then, had a rust hole in the bottom of the left wing if I remember and the seller said it needed floors, it was more than that by the sound of it!

Anyway, a month or so later, up popped a '65 on eBay and I bought it.

Toytron,
Driving on the wrong side of the road isn't that strange for some of us over here, I drive left and right hand drives in uk, when I go over to France and beyond I drive my right hand drive on the other side, and when I go to Spain I drive our left hand drive on the correct side!

I've heard it mentioned many times on here before but it really isn't a problem. I remember many years ago when I first got into American cars, a friend of mine said it was better to be on the wrong side, far less embarrassing to hit a moving car than a parked one at the side of the road! Fortunately never tested that one out!

Kev
toytron

Post by toytron »

Kev, that is some sound advice. I always wondered how strange it might feel. I remember having to cross a very narrow bridge to go visit my sister. She said the trick was to stay as close to the on coming traffic to make sure you didn't swipe the bridge rails. Well that wasn't too bad but when it came to the sharp turn at the exit it got a little scary. I understand that in some older villages the buildings were closer together because horse and carriage traffic were all that traveled down them before the motor vehicles and I thought how difficult it could be to maneuver those roads in an opposite controlled vehicle.
Thanks for the info.

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
Gary lot327

Post by Gary lot327 »

Hi

I am also in the uk, have just joined the site and trying to find my way around, there is a wealth of information on here.

I was wondering is there a way to to see how many Corvairs there are in the UK, I can see there are a few on here but how can we find out.

I have a 63 900 Monza convertible with a 102hp engine
IMG_0919.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Corvair Forum mobile app
CorvairCon65

Post by CorvairCon65 »

Gary lot327 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:53 pm Hi

I am also in the uk, have just joined the site and trying to find my way around, there is a wealth of information on here.

I was wondering is there a way to to see how many Corvairs there are in the UK, I can see there are a few on here but how can we find out.

I have a 63 900 Monza convertible with a 102hp engineIMG_0919.JPG

Hi Gary,

I am in Rayleigh Essex and have a 65 110hp Monza convertible.
guru_1071

Post by guru_1071 »

Gary lot327 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:53 pm

I was wondering is there a way to to see how many Corvairs there are in the UK,
gary

I have been constructing a spreadsheet of corvairs I have found in the uk. its early days as its simple data mining but I currently know of

about 20, of which nine are currently taxed

there is more, but unless I know the number plates I'm not adding them to my data otherwise I cannot find anything out about them
Gary lot327

Post by Gary lot327 »

guru_1071 wrote:
Gary lot327 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:53 pm

I was wondering is there a way to to see how many Corvairs there are in the UK,
gary

I have been constructing a spreadsheet of corvairs I have found in the uk. its early days as its simple data mining but I currently know of

about 20, of which nine are currently taxed

there is more, but unless I know the number plates I'm not adding them to my data otherwise I cannot find anything out about them
Hi

That's interesting and more than I thought, out of interest is another 63 and how many convertibles

guru_1071

Post by guru_1071 »

gary

I know of 3 1963's, one convertible, and two coupes all three are currently taxed and tested.

if anyone has any older photos of cars that don't appear on the internet, let me know and I can add them!

rich

its impossible to work out how many corvairs there are from websites like 'howmanyleft' etc as all Chevrolets are clumped together, so you have to look at engine sizes etc, I gave up on that as its just impossible to get a decent data track from it, I'm harvesting number plates from google and going at it that way, once I have the plate its easy to do a dvla search to see if the car is taxed and tested and check the colour, I can also double check the reg number and then get the chassis number which gives me a load more data

sad, I know

Return to “Introductions”