1965 Corsa clone, but a sweeeeeet one

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: 1965 Corsa clone, but a sweeeeeet one

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Took it for a 40+ mile drive last night to really get her fully warmed up, and no oil leaks are apparent. DynaMat works good, wish it was effective against wind noise around the doors.. Still want 1 more piece, maybe 2 to finish behind the back seat and maybe behind the rear "door panels" to fill all those openings that directly access the wheel well area.
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Good progress :tu:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Nicest Corvair at the South Albany High School's April fools car show April 2nd this year. 146 Cars, 1 Corvair.

cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Great pics! :tu:
When I attend a local show, I'm usually the only car with the front compartment and back compartment open :rolling:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Unfortunately still have a leak, looks like transmission/axle lube. Should have checked the trans input shaft seal when putting it back together. Need to drop it again. I suspect but am not sure if the split ring went back in when it was out quite some time ago.

Also, I have removed and notched the 4 carb tops so the custom air cleaners will fit on better, and also cut the old bowl vent projecting out into the carb throats off and smoothed them out. Rex J made me some new choke plates filled in where they were notched to fit around the old bowl vent. They are all at the powder coaters for as close to the air cleaner color as we could get, which is pretty close. They will be done late next week, color was a special order. While the carb tops are out, I need to drop the power pack and find the source of the tranny/diff leak, and I have an extra split ring from Rex as well if we somehow left it out in early 2016.

I also got a junk regulator from Rex, gutted it and made it into a glorified jumper for the internally regulated alternator. Painted it nice and pretty and installed, now old regulator plug connects and looks like stock.

Getting ready to remove part of the outer notches so hose that connects my air cleaners doesn't need to be notched out anymore.
After removing the outer "notches" for lack of a better term. Used a Dremel to smooth them out, along with the casting flaws you can see inside the throat.
After removing the old bowl vent casting. Smoothed out the inside with the Dremel as well.
Finally, with the new choke plate in. Fits well. I took it back out and now they are now at the powder coaters.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Got the carb tops back from the powder coaters. After dealing with a pesky fuel inlet nut leak which I will verify is gone tonight, it's time to re-balance the carbs. Fun issue with getting both secondaries to A: open at the same time and B: both open fully at full throttle. I also ended up painting the cross linkage and all the choke actuator parts silver along with the carb tops gold coating.

County98

Post by County98 »

That looks awesome. Can't wait until I'm that far along!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Corvair Forum mobile app
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

'66 Corsa work in progress
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8079
thewolfe
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by thewolfe »

Looking real clean in there Greg. As if it wasn't clean before!
Nate Wolfe
65 Corsa 180
61 Lakewood 140
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Great job Greg!
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Somebody buy me a set of Roger Parent's 65 140 linkages! *wink* It's on my list of things to get....
County98

Post by County98 »

I want those too, lol.

Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

I seem to have a miss on the driver's side, the choke is not opening up fully or quickly, unlike the other side, which opened in a timely manner but had a vacuum leak when I covered the carb openings. Replaced the base gaskets, but haven't had a chance to do more yet. I did have a plug wire go bad on #1 cylinder which did the same thing (choke wouldn't open fully, found it by pulling plug wires at the distributor cap) Maybe #3 or #1 went bad again. Hope to get a chance to play with it in the next couple of evenings.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Been working on making "The Busted Knuckle Garage" a more user-friendly place to work on cars the last couple of weekends. Put of 99% of the remaining ceiling drywall (small 4-5" strip about 10' long to do along one wall) and then did some non-political mudslinging to fill the gaps. Nothing too fancy on the drywall filler, and just a quick sand to knock off the big chunks, then primer and white paint and I also put up an additional light fixture as the older I get the more light I need.
On the other forum I've been talking about how one of my 4 carbs has a significantly lower fuel level inside despite the same float level and drop settings, checking for binding and even adjusting the level from spec did not seem to affect fuel level in carb. I'm using the ball valve "needle and seat"
and a couple of things to look at have been presented. Car show season is not far off, gotta get er dun. Still need to drop the power train and check trans input shaft seal integrity and look for things like oil leaks past the crank keyway.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

OK, got the ceiling mud rough sanded, all primed and painted and now ready for digging back into that carburetor. Much lighter and brighter in the garage.
County98

Post by County98 »

Good job!

Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

I replaced the existing ball type "needle and seat" with another one I had, and a different set of floats. Re-checked both float level and drop, although drop not quite as important with the ball needle and seat as it is wide open at a much higher float level than the old style needle and seat. Carefully installed it ensuring no binding against carb inner walls. Air flows nicely into carb when vertical, stops nicely when carb rotated 90 degrees and the little spring inside closes the valve. Verified no binding this way. Fired up electric fuel pump and made sure there were no leaks. Accel pump squirts, and that's as far as I had time to work on it at the time.

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”