New from Illinois

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
FP

New from Illinois

Post by FP »

Hi, just a quick hello and introduction. I'm new to the Corvair, but have been an Air-Cooled fan for some time now. I recently bought my first Vair. It's a 1964 Monza. It was a great addition to my air-cooled collection of VWs and Porsche Speedster. I look forward to chatting and learning about the Corvair. I'm already loaded with questions.
SteveH

Re: New from Illinois

Post by SteveH »

Welcome! Pics?
CORSA Member #034095
65 Corvair Corsa "Field Find" 140-4, 4 speed, Hardtop, Telescoping wheel. Rear Speaker
65 Corvair Corsa Automatic 140-4, Coupe
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: :clap: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

The following link should prove helpful to you as a new Corvair owner. Among other things it will guide you to numerous free technical downloads, including shop manuals. It will also point you toward Corvair owners clubs and top suppliers for parts and accessories...

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your initial post and tell us more about yourself, your Corvair, and your goals for the Corvair. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Knowing your location is also useful, because knowing where you live can sometimes suggest possibilities.

:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
toytron

Post by toytron »

Welcome from western illinois! Where abouts in illinois are you?

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
joefarmer

Post by joefarmer »

Welcome! I've actually just joined this forum myself and also came loaded with a 64 Monza (4 door 900 package). Do you have any pics? What are your plans?
N8

Post by N8 »

Hi all. I am from the Chicago area and am looking for a 64 Monza also. Where did you guys get yours? Any tips on buying one? This would be my first vintage car purchase.

Thanks,

N8
toytron

Post by toytron »

Search the threads. There are great tips here already listed. I found mine on craigslist. They both need work but I have one already driving. It will be the second one to restore but I will enjoy driving it first.
I would recommend joining the local corvair club. You may just find one there.

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair monza
N8

Post by N8 »

Thanks Ed! I have minimal car maintenance background, but one of the draws of a Corvair for me is that it seems to be relatively simple as far as cars go, parts are available, and they are not crazy expensive. I was not sure if I needed a Corvair to join the club or not, but I will look into that. Do you think it is a bad idea for a novice car guy to buy a Corvair that has been sitting and does not run currently?

This site is full of good info. It's great there are so many people willing to pass on their knowledge of these vehicles.
toytron

Post by toytron »

No I do not think that you need to buy one that is running but that will mean more work.
The first thing I would do in your case is join a club. You do not have to own one yet.
Next I would search this forums past post for assessing a car before you purchase one. Use different terms to find the info unless someone has the list readily available and wants to post it again.
If you find one that starts/runs then that is good. Many of the ones I see online that do not run might have bad motors. If it cranks but does not start that is better than one that does nothing but again a running engine is better.
You will probably find ones that run but have no brakes. That is not too bad because you probably want to redo them anyway if the car has been sitting for years.
Before I post a lengthy note I would search for that list I was talking about.
Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair monza
N8

Post by N8 »

I just found a club in my area and contacted them, and I will continue to search the site for more info. I appreciate your help.
FP

Post by FP »

bbodie52 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:54 pm :welcome2: :clap: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

The following link should prove helpful to you as a new Corvair owner. Among other things it will guide you to numerous free technical downloads, including shop manuals. It will also point you toward Corvair owners clubs and top suppliers for parts and accessories...

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your initial post and tell us more about yourself, your Corvair, and your goals for the Corvair. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Knowing your location is also useful, because knowing where you live can sometimes suggest possibilities.

:welcome:
I am mechanically incline, but by no means a skilled mechanic. When I was a young kid I love to tinker with cars, but as I got older, and busier with work, that slowed down a lot. I'm new to the Corvair so I don't know much about their corkiness or their common problems. But like everything over time we learn. My Coravair was restored maybe a couple of years ago. The engine was rebuilt. The PO decided to cut the springs by one coil, and now the car sits a bit lower than I would like it. I'm thinking of replacing them with stock springs. The car runs well. I recently had the carbs adjusted, and now runs much better. Next I need to adjust the steering box, as I think it has a bit of play. I hope this helps.
FP

Post by FP »

toytron wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:26 pm Welcome from western illinois! Where abouts in illinois are you?

Ed Stevenson
I'm in Crystal Lake. Where are you?
toytron

Re: RE: Re: New from Illinois

Post by toytron »

FP wrote:
toytron wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:26 pm Welcome from western illinois! Where abouts in illinois are you?

Ed Stevenson
I'm in Crystal Lake. Where are you?
FP,
I live in Cambridge. It is southeast of the quad cities. I know where Crystal Lake is. I use to live in the Chicago area and would travel up to Lake Geneva once and a while before I moved there.

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair monza

Return to “Introductions”