U Haul Towing

Anything Corvair related
ptr

Re: U Haul Towing

Post by ptr »

That's a slick WDH setup. I've never seen that before - very clever. If I was in the market I'd certainly give it a try. I have a Reese knock off of the equalizer with spring bars that slide on brake pads attached to the trailer. It works well and is quiet, but it does limit angles when backing up and you have to lift the bars up onto the perches. Fortunately I have a hill out front that makes that trivial.

I have an 04 Savana 3/4 ton conversion van (leather captains chairs, tv - it's basically a rolling family room) that I bought five years ago (when gas was around $4 a gallon) for $18K that only had 34 thousand miles and looked brand new. Per the included paperwork it was almost $60K as delivered. It now has 94 thousand and has been to Yellowstone, Glacier, Orlando, and New Hampshire.

It's not my primary vehicle, but there's nothing better than a full size van as a family truckster for hauling three kids and pulling the camper. The seats are all quick release so it's also great for hauling lumber or anything else. People don't give full size vans enough credit - unless you're going off road they have so much more utility than an SUV. Wish I'd have bought one years earlier.

Sent from my iPad using Corvair Forum mobile app
'65 Corvair Covertible
Restoration in process
gnrand

Post by gnrand »

Just got back from my 1100 mile trip and I wound up borrowing my friends 18 foot trailer. Speed limit in Az, NM, and Texas (where the car was being sold) is 75mph and I had no problem maintaining that speed.
So I bought a 65 Convert Corsa that has been completly restored (engine only has 300 miles on it). Interior has been tastefully modified and the engine supports a Holly carb but I was also given the four single carbs.
1965 140 Corsa
1968 140 Monza convertible 4 speed
1965 Corsa Convertible
1966 Crown V8 383 435hp
1986 Buick GN V6 600hp
tommy44432

Post by tommy44432 »

As long as there is enough weight on the tongue, loading front first or rear first is irrelevant. I have towed front first many times. My trailer is long enough to position the Corvair toward the front putting the heavy rear over the axles or close enough to that point where enough weight is transferred to the hitch to stop the swaying. While the drivetrain is the single heaviest part of a Corvair there is still a fair amount of weight at the front of the vehicle.
gnrand

Post by gnrand »

A couple of weeks ago I rented a Uhaul trailer and went out to Kingman to pick up my '65 convert. I loaded it front first and using my diesel F250 I towed it back to So.Ca. At first I took it easy driving about 60 but it was not long before I was doing 70 and 75 mph. It felt OK but I would not do any sudden lane changes.
Jeff
1965 140 Corsa
1968 140 Monza convertible 4 speed
1965 Corsa Convertible
1966 Crown V8 383 435hp
1986 Buick GN V6 600hp

Return to “Corvair Talk”