Is this normal on a block?

All Models and Years
benfro

Is this normal on a block?

Post by benfro »

OK, so I am restoring a 62 Spyder and am working on the engine. I got down to the block and noticed what appear to be diagonal cracks running down from the lifter ports (inside). This is the first time I have taken one of these engine down this far. Might be a dumb question, but is this normal? I'm sure lots of folks on here have seen this. I'm thinking it may just be normal from factory due to slag cutoff or something - there are "D" tool marks visible. Thanks in advance!
Big view
Big view
This is what I am talking about
This is what I am talking about
Tool marks
Tool marks
toytron

Re: Is this normal on a block?

Post by toytron »

If I am looking at the same thing you are then yes, those are called flashing. It is from the casting. When parts are cast they are rough in shape. The machining of the engine block produces the smooth parts you see and the less important parts are left without machining. The "d" or "B" marks are probably from the inspector on the assembly line. Cracks would not be raised crests but would be voids.
Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

If those wiggly traces are raised a little and can be felt with your finger, flashings. If not, but you can get a needle point into the crevice, it will be a crack.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
wbabst

Post by wbabst »

If you aren't sure, you can always burnish the places and then perform dye penetrant inspection. I would tend agree though they look like molding imperfections not cracks.
Current owner
61(x2) Monza Cpe
55 Pontiac Chieftain Wagon

61 Progress here
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chevrole ... 7898185672
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Goose-N6 ... 8869056897
benfro

Post by benfro »

Thank you for the replies. I was thinking they were from the manufacturing process, but not quite sure. What threw me off was the fact they were more noticeable on one side than the other. In my mind they should be about equal. Oh well, wanted to make sure I wasn't going crazy.
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

The flashing marks vary a lot. Some casting are very smooth, other have a lot of flashing marks. This was back in the 60's.

Looks fine.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”