Corvair Help Map - Volunteers Needed

Anything Corvair related
SyntheticBlnkerFluid

Post by SyntheticBlnkerFluid »

So I am finding that there are a lot of new people to Corvairs (and some people who've owned a Corvair for a while) and they need more hands on help than over-the-net verbal help, but have no clue who is near them that could lend a hand or possible shops that may be able to work on Corvairs.

I have already started a Google Map and have gotten a huge response from the Corvair Owners Group on Facebook, however we could use more people. If you are competent and confident with your ability to help fellow Corvair owners out, then what I need is your name, town you reside, and either an email address or Facebook link. This is a public map, so I don't want to add phone numbers or addresses. You need to provide me some form of contact if you want your name added. Just reply to this thread and I will let you know when you've been added. If I don't get contact info, I will not add you until I do.

Also, if you know of shops or folks that that will repair Corvairs for a cost and don't see it on the map, please give me that info so I can add it.

Please help out your fellow Corvair owners and help preserve and keep these cars on the road! :chevy: :ty:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?hl ... Uqib4xt8NU
1968 Monza 140 4-Speed Posi

Rob
Chebanse, IL
64powerglide

Re: Corvair Help Map - Volunteers Needed

Post by 64powerglide »

Automatic Transmission Clinic LLC
2706 Portage Street
Kalamazoo, Mi. 49001
269-245-6162 / 269-345-6163
www.transmissionclinicllc.com

I had this place check my powerglide this spring & the owner said low band just needs adjusting. He also said to bring in the diffy & he checked it & called me to come look at it. The car had sat around 22 years & had rust pits on the bearings so I had him redo the diffy, $775 with a rebuilt torque converter. The guy is semi retired, comes in to do things like Corvairs. He started doing them in the 60's & knows his stuff. He has Pontiac Tempest parts & Corvair parts stashed away.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Also, if you know of shops or folks that that will repair Corvairs for a cost and don't see it on the map, please give me that info so I can add it.
If you may need, on occasion, the services of a qualified Corvair mechanic in Central Florida, I contacted a person some time ago that I know who lives in the Tampa/St. Petersburg Florida area. He was able to find a Corvair-qualified mechanic in his area, so I sent him an e-mail and asked him for the contact information. Here is the recommendation he sent to me...
All my service is done at JB Import Automotive Service at 387 16th St. N., St. Petersburg FL 33705 phone# is (727)823-5951 Talk to Jeff. He and his brother Mike are the owners and are extremely knowledgeable of Corvairs (and do the work themselves).
There are many customer reviews on Google regarding this auto repair service. Most of the customers who posted a review of the shop gave it an Excellent rating. If you wish to read their comments just click on the following URL link…
https://plus.google.com/102856870199729 ... bout?hl=en

JB Import Automotive Repair is located at the corner of Fourth Avenue and 16th Street near I-375 entrance and exit ramps. This full-service repair shop specializes in both imported and antique vehicle performance and maintenance. JB Import Automotive employs experienced and certified technicians with knowledge of foreign vehicles: Toyota, Nissan, Audi, Fiat, Alfa Romeo, Aston Martin and more. Services provided include A/C installation and repair, engine diagnostics, tune-ups and wheel alignments. Customers may schedule an appointment in person, online or by phone.

:link: http://www.jbimportauto.com/

Hours: Mon - Fri, 7:30am - 5pm; Sat, Sun, closed
Handicap Accessible: Yes
Payments accepted: American Express, Cash, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
Associations/certifications: Automotive Service Excellence, Bosch Service
Parking: On-street: free
Auto repair services: Belts, Brakes, Engine performance & diagnostics, Exhaust, Fuel injection, Heating & Cooling, Inspections, Oil/lube/filter changes, Steering system, Suspension, Transmissions

============================================================================================================================
Also, in the San Jose, San Francisco Bay Area...

Mel's Vairmart
Mel Raven
1443 Laurelwood Road
Santa Clara California
Phone: (408) 267-8164
Fax: (408) 267-8164

:link: http://vairmart.com/

Corvair Engine rebuilding.
Complete Corvair repair shop.
Shop Rate - $95.00 /Hour

Call Mel Raven for all your Corvair work
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
SyntheticBlnkerFluid

Thanks guys, that helps.

Rob
Chebanse, IL
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

You can add me

John Shull
Pendleton, Indiana 46064
jshull2012@yahoo.com and Facebook

I've got tools, parts, trailer, and can help out anyone who needs it. And if I can't there's always LeVair just up the road.
'66 Monza Coupe Project: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=7188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SyntheticBlnkerFluid

Ok I'm bringing this back from the dead. I need to get some more Southern California people. I have absolutely zero people in the LA/San Bernardino area and one person in San Diego. I know there are way more Corvair people than that, that are willing to help out some fellow Corvair owners.

On that note, we could use some more people all together.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app

Rob
Chebanse, IL
b74eqcm

Post by b74eqcm »

I followed the link to the map, but couldn't figure out how to add myself. Help?
Jim Thomas
Bethel, VT
63 Monza Coupe
SyntheticBlnkerFluid

I have to add you.

You can PM me your info if you want. Do like 91blaze did above. If you want to add your phone number, is totally up to you.

Rob
Chebanse, IL
b74eqcm

Post by b74eqcm »

Rob,

You can add me.

Jim Thomas
Bethel, VT 05032
b74eqcm@hotmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/b74eqcm
Jim Thomas
Bethel, VT
63 Monza Coupe
2manyvairs2fix

Post by 2manyvairs2fix »

Rob, Go ahead and add me. I would be happy to help someone passing through that has a problem.

Roderick Kennen
Indian Trail, NC. 28079
carguy2303@aol.com
Rod Kennen
40+ years in collision and restoration-RETIRED
Fixated on Corvairs since 1977
Working on Corvair projects at home
Not a member of a Corvair Club
Newton, NC
Allan Lacki

Post by Allan Lacki »

If you are a member of CORSA, you can search for other CORSA members in your area. Not all of us are mechanics, but certainly many can put you in touch with people who are.

Go to the CORSA website at http://www.corvair.org. Log in with your username and password. Then, using the navigation menu, click on Membership and then CORSA Member Lookup. You can search by country, state, postal code, etc. Be sure to include the number of miles (or kilometers if you prefer) to specify the size of the area you want to search.

Naturally, the search feature will only return a list of those CORSA members who have given permission, but that includes just about everybody. ::-):
SyntheticBlnkerFluid

Thanks Allan, but you're not the first person to point this out. The problem is that not every Corvair owner is a CORSA member and a lot of people don't want to be either believe it or not.

The purpose of this map is not to put Corvair people in touch with other Corvair people. The purpose is for Corvair owners who can get help from others who are knowledgeable mechanically to the Corvair. I wanted people who are willing to give their time to help others or be able to give people the information to find the places that will service Corvairs.

There has been an influx of new owners in the last couple years that don't know anyone near them and just need help getting over the hump of a small issue or needs a hand with getting the carbs tuned, etc. I have seen several people in the last year buy a Corvair and then want to give up because they can't figure out something on their own.

The other benefit of using Google Maps is that you can add it to the "Your Places" feature on your Google Maps App on your phone and you can switch it on and off with ease.

Rob
Chebanse, IL
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

SyntheticBlnkerFluid wrote:Ok I'm bringing this back from the dead. I need to get some more Southern California people. I have absolutely zero people in the LA/San Bernardino area and one person in San Diego. I know there are way more Corvair people than that, that are willing to help out some fellow Corvair owners.

On that note, we could use some more people all together.

In S. Calif. there is Dave Stratlund's Mobile Corvair service and of course there is Jeff's shop - California Corvair. Frankly I stopped helping folks that showed up at our club. They would tell a great story and then after you helped them get the car running you'd never hear from them or discover they used your free help to get the car running to "FLIP" it on a fast sale. I do help folks who are long term Corvair owners, but tell the rest "Sorry you need to call a qualified shop" and I give them Jeff's and Dave's number.

Sadly there are some real moochers out there.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

You can include me on your list. I am Ted Fahrenthold, Snellville, Georgia. Currently my full time work is old car restoration and Corvair repair. My facebook page is in my sig.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Allan Lacki

Post by Allan Lacki »

Hello Again SyntheticBlnkerFluid,

I applaud your effort to create a free and independent resource for getting in touch with Corvair repair shops. That's what makes the Corvair hobby great - a wide variety of resources for support. I just thought I'd point out the fact that CORSA offers another way of getting in touch with people who can do repairs. A lot of CORSA members probably aren't even aware of this, so this was a good opportunity to point it out.

Also, I forgot to mention that a list of Corvair shops appears from time to time in the CORSA Communique magazine and there is an online list of Corvair shops on the CORSA website. To see them, you have to be a CORSA member.

If you are a CORSA member, you may want to reach out to those same vendors to see if they want to participate in your project. I see no harm in having the same vendors appear in both places. We all share the same goal of keeping Corvairs alive. :not worthy:

Al Lacki
Eastern Division Director
Corvair Society of America
SyntheticBlnkerFluid

b74eqcm wrote:Rob,

You can add me.

Jim Thomas
Bethel, VT 05032
b74eqcm@hotmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/b74eqcm