UK 62 Greenbrier

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
TexasUK
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

UK 62 Greenbrier

Post by TexasUK »

In the same vein as my Monza, my 62 Greenbrier is also completed.

The castle was closing so I had to use the keep car park, but it's still a nice place.

TexasUK
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: UK 62 Greenbrier

Post by TexasUK »

Conspiracy

Post by Conspiracy »

Looking great Daren :tu: Any recommendations as to where we could pick up some mirrors like yours? We have the arms but our mirrors are mismatched and pretty rough! Also need to replace the number plates as ours still has the Belgium plates on!! Have you cut 1 coil from the springs or dared for more ::-):

Here's ours all ready for MOT....fingers crossed :tongue:
Attachments
IMAG2014.jpg
Last edited by Conspiracy on Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conspiracy

Post by Conspiracy »

Last one (for now!) Who did your cab mat?
TexasUK
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by TexasUK »

Ah! Mmirrors Schmirrors. I've been looking for them for ages, mine are mismatched as well. The ones that were on when I imported it are the best I have seen, They are a convex 6", a chrome back with a single post in the middle, and a rubber surround. Unfortunately I smashed one while reversing in a very tight driveway.
I suspect that they are available somewhere in the states but I cannot find them for love nor money. If any of our brothers over that side of the pond can help with finding them I would be forever grateful.
I did find some 5" flat chrome ones that I used to replace, but then I smashed one of those as well, hence the current state of one wonderful mirror, and one smaller cracked one. And now I can't find them again, I'll have to go looking through all my invoices.

I cut one coil off the front springs, it looks like you cut a lot more out. Does it ride ok? Nice paint job by the way, looks in better condition on the outside than mine.

The cab mat is a Clarks repro, and very nice it is too. You could very easily make one if you had the kit and the material, but it really isn't worth it when you add up the cost. Unless you know friendly upholsterer down there in the boondocks?
Conspiracy

Post by Conspiracy »

Boondocks :rolling: I call it Banditland....one and the same me thinks ::-): Mirrors :sad5: Keep searching for the M151 Mutt mirrors but they're like rocking horse poop. Will have a look at Clarks....although I may wait for the pound to bounce back after the bankers have made they're shilling :banghead: I cut one coil from front & rear and used the D150 Magnum shocks.....sits pretty well but would still like to get air ride on her. No idea how she rides, she's moved about 6 feet across the patio ::-): Hoping I'll finish the drive alterations this weekend so I can get her out without having to take all of the handles off!! A lot of holes in ours Daren.....not structural as pretty much the whole centre of the van was replaced.....she's a good 10 footer but we'll sort that :tu: There's a crate of beer in the back ready for the MOT guy :tu:
TexasUK
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by TexasUK »

You mean these ones? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jeep-M151-A1- ... fOmNsONi0g

or these? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Willys-MB-For ... SwAKxWUQsH

Good luck with the MOT, let me know if you need anything, I might have it, and I'll have a look for that ashtray.
Conspiracy

Post by Conspiracy »

The round ones yes although I quite fancy a chrome set. Will let you know Daren and that would be great if you manage to find the ashtray :tu:
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Looking good Daren :tu: Thank you for the update and photos :not worthy:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
toytron

Post by toytron »

She's a beauty tex!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Corvair Forum mobile app
Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
Roasty

Post by Roasty »

another uk owner, I have an 8 door 62 greenbrier in se London/kent
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:not worthy: :clap: :clap: :clap: :not worthy: :funnypost:

Back in the 1960s my father built a custom family camper that included a lot of custom cabinet work and incorporated a propane stove, an icebox and kitchen facility, and a lot of storage. Your Greenbrier brings back a lot of fond memories of numerous family outings at Lake Tahoe, in Oregon, Washington, and parts of Western Canada, as well as many weekends spent at Laguna Seca and Riverside raceways in California while making use of that family camper. In my case though, my father did not start out with an American-made Corvair Greenbrier. Instead, he began work on the custom family camper using a British-made English Ford Thames van (similar to the van pictured below).

I would bet that English Ford Thames vans in the United States may be even more rare than Corvair vans in Great Britain! But his modifications did Americanize the Thames somewhat. He removed the column shift based manual transmission and four-cylinder engine, and replaced them with a Chevrolet in-line six coupled to a Powerglide automatic transmission. He also managed to fit a British gas tank that was scrounged from a British sports car into an area that was covered by the body and to the rear of the left front wheel. The two fuel tanks allowed us to cover much greater distances between gas stops. Ironically, he considered purchasing a brand-new Greenbrier at the start of this project, but for some reason decided on the Thames van as the basis for our family camper — even though the process of adapting an American six-cylinder engine and automatic transmission in the engine bay between the front seats added a tremendous amount of work to the overall project.

In any case, the pictures you posted of your Greenbrier appears to show an exceptional project van — one that you can be very proud of. Perhaps your Greenbrier would be a good candidate for a Corvair Forum Corvair of the Month entry. Obtaining and restoring an American-made Corvair van in Great Britain, and combining it with the custom camper interior was obviously a major undertaking and it deserves positive recognition as a Corvair of the Month entry!

As you take your Greenbrier on the road in Europe, I hope you will take a lot of pictures of your travels and will post them on the Corvair Forum.

:coolphotos:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”