New fuel Tank-Gas POURING out of left carburetor

All Models and Years
Sid Galloway

New fuel Tank-Gas POURING out of left carburetor

Post by Sid Galloway »

Just put new fuel tank on my '65. Shot of starting fluid in each carb and car fired up and sounded fine for about 10 seconds, then sounded like it was flooding. Went back and saw gas pouring out of top (two orifices) of left side carb. I am nor a carburetor guy at all. With the old, leaking tank it never did this. Assistance please? slorid69@yahoo.com

Thanks for the replies. I thunked the carb with a screwdriver handle (after letting the gas evaporate for an hour or so) and it started and ran without incident.

I am a retired US Army Master Electronics Instructor from WV, but living in Colonial Heights, VA. If you google "US Army Master Instructor" and choose Images, I'll be one of the first images, as I was the first advanced to MI ever at Fort Lee, VA. I have a solid understanding of mechanics, but have less experience than my tool collection would suggest. Mine is a 1965 500. It has just over 11k miles, or just over 111k miles. My goal for the car is to build a reliable daily driver, and to refurbish the interior.
Last edited by Sid Galloway on Sat May 07, 2016 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
recessbilly

Re: New fuel Tank-Gas POURING out of left carburetor

Post by recessbilly »

Float needs adjustment, or needle and seat are no longer sealing. I would just rebuild the whole carb while you're in there.
1963 Monza Spyder 900 powered by a 1964 110HP and 4-speed MTX
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: New fuel Tank-Gas POURING out of left carburetor

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

If your carburetors have inlet filters in place, it is unlikely that any trash from the fuel line made its way into the float bowl. Each carburetor has a float bowl, with a float, needle valve and seat that functions in a way that is similar to the float ad valve in a toilet tank. Sometimes the float gets stuck or develops a leak that permits liquid into the float — causing it to sink and to not regulate the fuel level in the float bowl. A fault needle and seat valve may also not seal properly, which would permit fuel to continue to be pumped in from the fuel pum and to flood the float bowl. Since the float bowl is vented, you are seeing overflow pouring from the vents.

I have attached a carburetor manual and a section from the 1965 Corvair Shop Manual to guide you. The DELCO ROCHESTER - Models H, HV Carburetor Service Manual is a good supplement to the factory shop manual. About half of it is an easy to understand description of each subsystem and component of the carburetor, its purpose, and how it functions. The remainder overlaps the shop manual in describing maintenance procedures.

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... IN&page=55

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... IN&page=56

It is important that you have access to a library of good reference materials to help guide you in evaluating and maintaining your Corvair. These references, guidance from members of the Corvair Forum, and possibly support from members of a local CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapter can all help you to accomplish your goals with your Corvair.

The link below will provide you with a list of websites that can be useful in obtaining reference materials, replacement parts, and other support that you will need for your Corvair.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

Corvair Forum :link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:dontknow: At this stage we on the Corvair Forum know very little about your Corvair or about you. I would like to encourage you to expand on your initial post and tell us more about yourself, your Corvair, and your goals for the Corvair. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Knowing your location is also useful, because knowing where you live can sometimes suggest possibilities.

:welcome:
Attachments
DELCO ROCHESTER - Models H, HV Carburetor Service Manual.pdf
DELCO ROCHESTER - Models H, HV Carburetor Service Manual
(1.79 MiB) Downloaded 33 times
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 6M - ENGINE FUEL.pdf
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 6M - ENGINE FUEL
(8.87 MiB) Downloaded 23 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”