Carb blowing gas into motor from overflow circuit

All Models and Years
recessbilly

Carb blowing gas into motor from overflow circuit

Post by recessbilly »

Hey, I'm having a little issue with one of these carbs. I've rebuilt and taken both them apart a ton, checked and rechecked float level, new needle and seat, but I still get a ton of gas leaking from the top or overflow into the carb. Floats are not leaking either. I did bypass the manual fuel pump and wire in an electric low pressure (2.5-4.5 PSI) pump, I'm wondering if it is too much pressure. Since I have only one carb doing this, I thought it would just be the seat and needle not sealing, but after tearing it apart so much I'm not sure. Any thoughts appreciated. :angry:
110 HP dual rochester setup.
64powerglide

Re: Carb blowing gas into motor from overflow circuit

Post by 64powerglide »

I had the same problem on my right carb, I reset the float a lot lower so it would have more pressure at the needle valve seat & it fixed the problem & I don't have any problem with the lower fuel level. Stock new fuel pump.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
recessbilly

Post by recessbilly »

I found a leaky float. Fixed the flooding issue, but there is one carb that drips gas from the venturi at idle. is this normal, or an issue of the main metering jet needing attention?
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

It's best to fix the leaking venture. Can happen due to a few reasons - a needle & seat that won't shut off the fuel. Or too much air passing through that carb and it's starting to run off of the transition circuit. The main jet isn't used at idle.
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
Corventure Dave

Post by Corventure Dave »

Your Venturi drip is most likely a bad float valve. The quality of these valves is not vary good these days.
Do you have the float springs on your carb floats? These were a later... 64 vintage addition to the carbs. These float springs take the bounce and also some of the weight off the float. This allows fuel pressure to open the valve along with float drop. Without these springs, floats can droop, due to their weight, even when adjusted properly causing venture drip.

Corventure Dave

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”