Starter sometimes doesn't crank

All Models and Years
indianalakewood1961
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Starter sometimes doesn't crank

Post by indianalakewood1961 »

Anyone know why my starter sometimes doesn't crank the motor over, doesn't happen everytime but just sounds like the starter turns but not the engine... Anybody got any advice on what will cause and what to do to fix?

Thanks
Jim
Scott H
Site Admin

Re: Starter sometimes doesn't crank

Post by Scott H »

Replace the solenoid.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
ron l

Post by ron l »

Is it actually spinning on its own without turning the engine over? Or is it clicking with no action? Spinning generally means the solenoid is good. If it's just clicking then it's a solenoid/wiring issue.

If the starter actually spins then you might have some mechanical issues and need to bench-test it to make sure. The starter drive may not be engaging, teeth on the starter or flywheel missing, loose starter bolts, damaged one-way clutch bearing..?

Solenoid (2) pulls plunger (5) back, (3) closes the contacts between the two larger posts to spin the rotor assembly (19) as well as activate the lever(7) to push the gear (15) out. The spiral flutes on (19) also help push (15) out, and if you over-run the starter with the engine the flywheel will simply spin the one-way clutch inside (15).

You can "rebuild" a solenoid by cleaning the corrosion/pitting from (2) and (3).

Disclaimer: I haven't rebuilt a GM starter since 1993.
chance1

Post by chance1 »

what if the starter is engaging and spinning the flywheel but the motor does not turn over is the crank some how broken from the torque converter or did someone forget to bolt it to the crank "?
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

My LM Corvair did exactly this. spun, sounded like it was turning the flywheel but it was not.

Pulled the starter (10 minutes) checked flywheel, replaced broken solenoid, vroom vroom
CORSA Member #034095
65 Corvair Corsa "Field Find" 140-4, 4 speed, Hardtop, Telescoping wheel. Rear Speaker
65 Corvair Corsa Automatic 140-4, Coupe
chance1

Post by chance1 »

Thanx on mine it`s a car i recently bought and someone did not bolt the torque converter to the flex-plate that is why the motor isn`t turning over i will try and fix it tomorrow so i can check the compression and try to crank it . although i have a nice motor on the way i just bought , i will install that one when it arrives but still want to know about the motor that is in it now ...
Steve62

Post by Steve62 »

There is also a pin (#8) that #7 pivots on, which is held in place by a small c-clip. If this pin falls out, is excessively worn or broken, or #7 is worn, the solenoid will energize, and the starter motor will spin, but the drive gear won't engage the ring gear teeth.
Could be better, could be worse...could be riding in a hearse!
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Steve62 wrote:There is also a pin (#8) that #7 pivots on, which is held in place by a small c-clip. If this pin falls out, is excessively worn or broken, or #7 is worn, the solenoid will energize, and the starter motor will spin, but the drive gear won't engage the ring gear teeth.
Mine is bolted
CORSA Member #034095
65 Corvair Corsa "Field Find" 140-4, 4 speed, Hardtop, Telescoping wheel. Rear Speaker
65 Corvair Corsa Automatic 140-4, Coupe
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I don't think anybody has questioned the condition of the ring gear on the torque converter. The large ring gear is welded at several points to the pressure plate or torque converter. This ring gear absorbs a great deal of stress as the engine is cranked. Over time it is possible for one or more welds to fatigue and fracture, which would allow the ring gear to move - especially if the broken ring gear weld happens to be next to the engagement point of the starter.

How To Check the Whole Ring Gear on a Corvair... Showing Starter Damage (automatic transmission)

Corvair starter gear damaged from bad ring gear?

A faulty ring gear can place stress on the starter housing that could cause it to crack or fracture.

If the ring gear is bad, there is no easy fix. If you determine that the ring gear is faulty, the torque converter or clutch pressure plate must be replaced.

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... N&page=134

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... N&page=111
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”