65 4-door "sports car" project

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
ron l

65 4-door "sports car" project

Post by ron l »

Might as well start a thread, maybe even help myself remember what I've done to the car. I bought this car through Mel Raven at Vairmart. The owner, a long time customer of Mel, had passed away Sept 2009 and his two cars were being sold off by the family. Mel drove them down to San Jose from SSF and parks them outside the shop everyday. Since I live in SSF one car is now back to its home town.

Clean car, the only rust is surface rust on the fading factory paint and chips from the chrome molding. Was a 110/PG car but I had Mel convert it to a 140 and 4-speed with 3.55 gears before I took delivery of it. Still waiting on Mel to finish the secondary carbs but I took it home anyway. I'll get the other carbs on when I take the car back for its "checkup".

As it sat before I bought it:

After spending a lot of money for used wheels and tires (all MikeJ's fault):

1.5 coils cut from the front. Contrary to what I've read over and over, you do not need to cut one full coil to seat the spring. Half, quarter, eighth, whatever. Rotate the spring so it fits. The rears I didn't cut at all.

Mel giving it a spin after the trans swap:

The chrome from the door edge and wheel wells are now gone, no rust under them except for where the paint chipped off from installation. Also gone is the vinyl trim that runs all the way around the car.
ron l

Exhaust

Post by ron l »

The stock mufflers were rubbing the tire. Mel and I decided to rotate the pipe to clear the tire but the muffler would bang against the floor at idle. "Good enough until the headers come in" I figured, but I figured wrong. So off to Craigslist to look for mufflers, and came across some used Borlas. They are 4" shorter and 2" narrower than the stock ones.

I was going to cut the tips off and angle the exhaust down behind the rear grill, but I kind of "forgot" to do it because I think I like it this way. Easy enough to cut and turn-down if I decide to.

Before and after vids:

I didn't think it was loud at all but it sets off car alarms just as much as my 67 Mustang did. I'll try to get a drive-away video when I can pry the teenager out of the house to be camera girl.

Bodywork is being started this week so more pics to come.
Scott H
Site Admin

Re: 65 4-door "sports car" project

Post by Scott H »

It looks much better. I like the stance, the new exhaust = thumbs up, and I love those wheels!. That is one sweet 4 door!!!

Go get those secondaries, your gonna love it when they open up. It's gonna get louder and it pulls much harder, I love my 140. :tu:
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
ron l

Post by ron l »

Poking around today and found the source of my fuel smell.
ron l

Post by ron l »

Is there a ready source for the fuel pump diaphragm material?

The local store has 3 mechanicals to choose from, Airtex ($40), some brand I forgot ($80), and Bosch
($120). I know the Airtex electric pump is a popular swap for Corvairs, but how well do their mechanicals fare? Not sure if I want to chance another leaky mechanical or swap to electric. Hopefully most of the bum pumps with bad diaphragm material has been weeded out?
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

I've heard many stories about mechanical FP failures but I used them for many years without a failure. I'd just get the 40$ unit and give it a try.
Be sure to check the oil to be sure that some of the leaking gas didn't get into the engine. (common Vair problem)

I use an electric pump now but I've had trouble with them .

That must be quite a leak if that's in slow motion !

I've never been much of a fan of 4 door cars but the late model corvairs have always been an exception.

It sounds good :tu:
Attachments
565.jpg
565.jpg (80.06 KiB) Viewed 2892 times
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
ron l

Post by ron l »

Thanks. I'll give the cheap unit a shot, been itching to drive the car for 2 weeks now. I've only had it less than a month until I noticed the leak and yeah it's pretty bad. I did check the oil and it doesn't smell like gas. What really sucks is my driveway is slanted and the fuel was gravity feeding its way out the fuel pump all this time (while not on the ramps). I wondered why my gas mileage wasn't as good as I expected.
ron l

Post by ron l »

Fuel pump's been in for about 3 weeks now, seems to be going well so far. The car used to stutter if I cruised in 2nd then tried to quickly accelerate, now it's fine.

More blocking, priming, fixing dents, dings, and chips. Almost there, wherever "there" is.

Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Man it's looking really good! Makes me want a 4-door. That says allot!
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
Wabbitkiller

Post by Wabbitkiller »

Nice wheels! I wouldn't mind a 4 door LM. I HATE the roof on the 4 door EMs though, don't like that lip.
Chris

1965 Monza Convertible 95/4

Olathe, KS
ron l

Post by ron l »

The lip on the EM helps you figure out which way the car is pointing! I actually like that feature, makes the car more "swoopy" than just another 4-door box.

So here's where I am today. Missed a small dent on the hood so out came the hammer and filler again, which I thought I was done with for good.

If the wind stays calm tomorrow I might be able to put some color on it.
keitho64

Post by keitho64 »

That is looking fantastic!
Keitho64
05 GTO
69 911T RS30/Turbo Clone
64 Corvair Monza
ron l

Post by ron l »

Shortly after my last update I painted in a hurry and messed it up. Then I started a new full-time job and you know how that goes. After a botched job that I sanded down for an impromptu satin look that actually wasn't so bad, here's where I am a year later. If you can't do it right don't do it at all? So here we are doing it right.

My friend who owns a shop is doing this for me and I got a deal I couldn't refuse. It's been there about 3 weeks now and today he said he should be able to lay down some primer and do a final block check. Cowl panels are still on in the pics but they're actually off now.

Here is the color that is going on it. I'm not in a hurry so he's taking his time but I have a week off of work mid-August and I'm hoping to be able to use some of that time putting the car back together. Weatherstrip and various parts are on the way. I can't wait!
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Looking good!
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Scott Howey wrote:Man it's looking really good! Makes me want a 4-door. That says allot!
Precisely what I was thinking!! I always thought the 2-door LM's had a very European look to them, but the 4-doors?......even more! I love it! I've always been a big hardtop fan, especially 4-door hardtops! Here's a pic of the type of car I drove in high school, a '67 Ford LTD 4-door hardtop:

cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Looks great Ron!
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”