LM Hybrid? Crazy idea?

All Models and Years
Toyguru

Re: LM Hybrid? Crazy idea?

Post by Toyguru »

So here's the motor I'm talking about, the first pic is the dirt bike conversion I used it for, the outboard motor was the original purpose for this motor when it was built by Briggs and Stratton.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (25.92 KiB) Viewed 687 times
image.jpeg
65 Monza 110
notched

Post by notched »

PressurizedPancake wrote:I think your concept is very interesting. Would this be similar in concept to how the 5.3L hybrid Tahoe operates? After driving a relative's hybrid Tahoe, and seeing her get 20+ MPG regularly, I've always wondered if this could be adapted to existing technology.

The two things I can think of that come to mind not knowing exactly what your pancake motor/generator looks like, I'd keep in mind that the Corvair accessory drive rotates opposite of "conventional" engines, and also I'd probably have a pulley or adapter to use an existing serpentine pulley machined to bolt onto the Corvair pulley/damper to keep the load off the already fragile stock V-belt system on the Corvair. This also gives you more options on mounting locations for the pancake unit.

Good luck and keep us posted!
The Chevrolet Tahoe hybrid uses what GM calls and Electrically Variable Transmission (EVT) that contains two 60 kilowatt electric motors mounted inside of the transmission. You can read about it here http://www.hybridcars.com/chevy-tahoe-hybrid/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
notched

Post by notched »

My only question is would you be running the electric motor while the engine is running or shutting off the engine and running the electric motor through the engine? Running it with the engine would require some kind of clutching mechanism to ensure smooth engagement. You would also want some kind of rigid drive connection as well. Running through a belt and even a gilmer style tooth belt could result in a broken belt when the electric motor comes on if the electric motor rpm does not match the engine rpm.
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
Toyguru

Post by Toyguru »

I'd be running motor and engine together, with the motor just providing some assist to the engine. I think a belt drive will suffice for this, but some experimentation will tell. When the engine is running, it can charge the battery pack, so no need to set up a clutch system. The speed controller provides pretty smooth motor control, so there shouldn't be a lot of shock in the system.
65 Monza 110
PressurizedPancake

Post by PressurizedPancake »

notched wrote:
PressurizedPancake wrote:I think your concept is very interesting. Would this be similar in concept to how the 5.3L hybrid Tahoe operates? After driving a relative's hybrid Tahoe, and seeing her get 20+ MPG regularly, I've always wondered if this could be adapted to existing technology.

The two things I can think of that come to mind not knowing exactly what your pancake motor/generator looks like, I'd keep in mind that the Corvair accessory drive rotates opposite of "conventional" engines, and also I'd probably have a pulley or adapter to use an existing serpentine pulley machined to bolt onto the Corvair pulley/damper to keep the load off the already fragile stock V-belt system on the Corvair. This also gives you more options on mounting locations for the pancake unit.

Good luck and keep us posted!
The Chevrolet Tahoe hybrid uses what GM calls and Electrically Variable Transmission (EVT) that contains two 60 kilowatt electric motors mounted inside of the transmission. You can read about it here http://www.hybridcars.com/chevy-tahoe-hybrid/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for that! I guess that system is a lot more integrated, no wonder it works so smooth!
You're unique, just like everyone else.
Hank_jackson
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Hank_jackson »

good afternoon
I thought I had some pics of the bracket without the compressor mounted but could not tfind them

here a few anyway
final_0002.jpg

hope these help some

Hank
Attachments
final_0003.jpg
final_0004.jpg
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

Using a standard vee belt to transmit the power will not work, it would just slip. You'd need a cogged belt like a Gilmer setup, but even then it's not likely to provide much assist.
Click it!
CobraJet

Post by CobraJet »

This is an interesting idea! My thoughts are to leave the existing V-belt drive alone and power through an extra pulley much like the A/C picture above. I also think the stock V-belt isn't up to the torque required to do the job. The mention of a toothed belt is probably your best bet.

You can source hundreds if not thousands of belts and pulleys at http://www.sdp-si.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”