Honda B20 turbo in corvair

Non-Traditionally Powered Corvairs
ormston

Re: Honda B20 turbo in corvair

Post by ormston »

How real? I would like to know!! :) I am having fun following your thread!
Ormston
MikeDTuning

Post by MikeDTuning »

its running 12psi now, gears go by very fast, and when a car revs to 6800rpms, that means something! Despite haveing 225 width Hancook ventus v12 summer tires in the back, second gear will slide the back end out in corners, 1st gear can convert the rear tires into a pretty fantastic amount of smoke mid gear, no clutch dropping needed.

hopefully i will be able to re-dyno it soon, Taking an informed guess, the last dyno at 6psi made 183whp,, i would bet i am around 230-240whp now. and 220ish torque at the ground,, If you work the standard 15% drivetrain loss, this would be around 270 crank hp.

When we start talking about these numbers, and what it would take to get a corvair motor there, And have it be relible for a long time (I.E. not a quater mile cruiser) this swap really starts to add up as a good solution
Last edited by MikeDTuning on Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Honda B20 turbo powered corvair. Is it the first honda powered corvair out there?
ormston

Post by ormston »

Sounds like a good option!! I wouldn't mind a dash cam ride along video, show us what she's made of :pray:
Ormston
Corvairant

Post by Corvairant »

I haven't been on forum in a few years ... I was researching this same idea in 2009 and got very expensive quotes on making an engine adapter . KEP didn't want to make it for me , no market . So long story short I'm building a similar project ...Nissian SR20 engine to a 094 VW transaxle
Got engine with KEP adapter and all the goodies for $450 on Craigslist... Enough talking !
Now I will try and post pics
MikeDTuning

Post by MikeDTuning »

i remember seeing pictures of your project when i was doing initial research. I got lucky with the bell housing, it is pretty amazing how well the front section from a honda trans bolts to the corvair gearbox! Some small parts did add up, And there was certainly some money wasted in the Trial&Error part of this project.

That being said, i did have to get a custom input spline made (around 450$) In the long run i think this is money well spent because it lets me use off the shelf honda clutch parts. Honda clutch parts are very affordable, and very easy to find!

On a more generel note, i am starting to get a clicking under hard acceleration. I am assuming this is common of a failing universal joint?
Honda B20 turbo powered corvair. Is it the first honda powered corvair out there?
Corvairant

Post by Corvairant »

I think those pics might have been the guy with a accord engine h series if I remember right . Your car is giving me desire and motivation to get this 65' convertible on the road . Great job !!! I can believe there isn't more interest in this type of engine swap . You have burst my bubble on being the first on doing this type of swap and have it on the road . I heard that (read) KEP had a old Honda engine with like 50 hp back in the day .
I can't figure out how to post pics from iPhone. But I have a few on Instagram @corvairant if interested. By the way , what kind of quarter mile u think you can get out of it ? How's the cooling with radiator in back ? Doing similar myself.

More pics please
MikeDTuning

Post by MikeDTuning »

Below is a quick second gear pull. I would suspect it to be a low 14/high 13 quarter mile. the best thing i could do to make it quicker at this point would be to raise the redline, i suspect i would be shifting out of third gear crossing the quarter mile, one less gear change would bring a big improvement

I would bet if i really cranked 1st gear out, i could be in the 5 second 0-60 time. Which is pretty fast for an old vair

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE_8J8_UqbI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

here is one going from second to thid gear, a little bit of clutch slippage going into third

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UItreahfXeg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MikeDTuning

Post by MikeDTuning »

I got caught at a local car show, and it sounds like i got invited to the VIP section of an event in january!
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Nice!
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
Alexh

Post by Alexh »

Can we get some reposts on the pics? None if them are working. This is a badass project and I would like to see the bell housing fitament pics and full assembly process. Thanks. sweet car!
MikeDTuning

Post by MikeDTuning »

MikeDTuning

Post by MikeDTuning »

Custom input spline to fit honda clutch assembly

Corvair bell housing (right) acura integra bell housing (left) when you split the case of an integra trans, you are left with this section, it is the exact same depth as the corvairs bell housing
MikeDTuning

Post by MikeDTuning »

Also, So after a winter of work, and cleaning things up, i finally got a chance to re-dyno it, It made 218whp, and 233ft/lbs There is a rich spot above 5k rpms causing a torque drop, that has since been dialed out, i would expect hp, and torque to be about level now around 230 at the wheels

The improvements made over the winter? New turbo, its is now a Mitsubishi Tdo4 15t. (great turbo) it flows about 30% more than the old unit, and spools up just as fast, It also keeps EGTs lower

i also cleaned up under the engine bay a lot, made new lines for the turbo, relocated the rad to the back seat, and got guages working inside the car (like tach, oil pres, and coolent temp) New clutch, finally fixed the trans leaks, and a lot of other housekeeping procedures

Car is coming along, and still driving! i hope to be at a corvair meet some time this summer
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Good update! :tu:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
MikeDTuning

Post by MikeDTuning »

Car is still moving, making minor drive-train updates as i go, but nothing big enough to justify a report. i think the next big upgrade is going to be to make a rack and pinion fit into the car.

Below is a little video of it on a backroad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t493sSD-V80
Last edited by MikeDTuning on Mon May 16, 2016 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

MikeDTuning wrote:Below is a little video of it on a backroad
Private link? I can't view it in either of two different browsers. Content not available message is what I see.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door

Return to “V8's - V6's - and...?”